Anyone try work while waiting for disability? Please help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Aug 1, 2010.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

I have been waiting for a ruling after being turned down twice on my disablilty. It has been 30month since I filed. I don't know that I can work, but before I lose everything I feel I must try something. Please let me know if you have experienced this.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If you are trying to get disability you have to show that you are unable to work very much, so if you work while applying, you will have less chance of getting it.......that said, I did work while I applied & even for a short while after getting it, but I worked VERY part time & wound up being unable to even do that for long

basically there are limits on how much money you can make and still be able to get disability; however, obviously the reason for disability is that you are unable to work or extremely limited in how much work you can do, so it's kinda hard to claim that you can't work if you are, in fact working....unless it is very very part time
  3. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

You are between a rock and a hard place, aren't you?

Is there anything you can do for others that they will pay you?

If you do work, I'd make sure it's really easy, and I'd make sure
    I got fired for being sick too much! SSDI, I think, would really look
    closely at anyone who is able to work even part time while they
    are applying; now, once you have it, you could wait to see if you
    are feeling stronger and then try to work and see how it goes.

Have you applied at any agencies that will help you with food,
    heating and/or cooling bills, etc.? it may be all you need to
    survive until approved for SSDI. Could family members help
    financially, with your promise to pay them back out our your
    retroactive benefits once you are approved?

Hoping you find some solutions to a very difficult problem!

4. chris350

chris350 New Member

Thanks to those that took time to reply. I am between a rock and a hard place. I know I can't hold down a full time job but I am so sick of being late on bills unable to pay bills and even close to having things cut off. I have been turned down twice and have been waiting over 30 months. I truly don't know how I will be able to hold out much longer. I know the only way is trusting in God. I thank everyone on the message boards b/c we give each other hope.

Luck to each and everyone.

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry my response wasn't more hopeful/helpful......I understand your situation stinks, but I also wanted to be honest so that you don't do something that would hurt your chances of getting disability.....if you need it this badly now, most likely you will need it even more so if you push yourself to work and then you could really be stuck......finding some way to get by for a little longer may be all it takes

I'll keep you in my prayers
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I think it was skeptic that suggested state assistance, wondered if you did apply.

Great source for cheaper groceries, you can get a pretty good size box of flood for 25-30 dollars.

Hold a garage sale for quick money.

Is it possible that your last job might have given you some skill you can use for home, ie: accounting/tax prep.

I understand how hard this is for you. I filed for disabilty in 2006 and was approved May 2009.

It is possible, your in my prayers.

7. victoria

victoria New Member

My son applied, then told SS to hold off as he wanted to try working. He worked for about 3 months at Subway, couldn't continue, he was seeing his doctor regularly who agreed he should quit. Because it was only 3 months and the reason he quit was due to his Lyme, SS disregarded it and backdated date to date of first application.

If you can do something where you're paid cash, it's the easiest, plus expenses are deductible if you perform any kind of personal service; but getting a regular paycheck for a while shouldn't hurt as you likely won't be able to continue unfortunately.

Do you have a lawyer? You might want to also double-check with him/her.
  8. keke466

keke466 New Member

I feel for you. I'm kinda in the same situation. I'm single and have noone to help me. I lost my house to foreclosure cause I couldn't work enough to keep it and ended up here in senior low housing,which I'm not crazy abt.

I'm only able to work 3 days per week and sometimes I miss one of those. I am afraid to applu for SSD because I've read that we can't work and apply at the same time and I can't go without money because I have no way to pay my rent,utilities and other bills. I finally did get food stamps a couple of months ago,not crazy abt that either,but it helps.

I wish you nothing but good luck and good health.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Soc Sec Disability? Have you posted your question on
    the Disability board?

What is your living situation? Could you rent out a room? A friend of mine rented
    the top half of an old house. He lived there about 40 years. Cheap rent as it was
    rent controlled. Anyway he rented out a bedroom.

Sometimes he had problems w/ the renter, but the rent and his Soc Sec check
    kept him going.

Do you have anything you (maybe w/ the help of a computer savvy friend) could
    sell on E Bay? Collectors are crazy, you know. Sometimes will pay big
    bucks for "junk".

Do you have a printer for your computer? I'm told people can now print out
    all kinds of grocery coupons, etc.

Kinda infuriating, isn't it?! Our government borrows money so it can send
    aid to foreign countries. Meanwhile...

Hope you can find something. Good luck.

10. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

On an ME/CFS/Fibro board, it was suggested that we make money by filling out on-line surveys. Market research, basically. I've done a few of them Haven't made any money yet, because I hate paperwork, and thats the modern equivelent.
    In Colorado, social services has a program called AND, that can help you with a tiny bit of money while you wait. A decade ago, it was a whole $225.00 a month! And you have to pay it back, but you should get decent money from your retroactive pay.
    Don't for get to get a lawyer (there're paid a percentage of your award).
    It took me 3 years,and I had to present myself as just wrecked! But I was working because I was a live-in Home Health Aide, so my job and my home were the same thing. A friend finally invited me to stay at her house while I waited, and my lawyer told me the judge would be impressed by the fact that I tried to work.
    I don't know about that. I think under the table work is your best bet if you can manage it.
    Good Luck!