Anyone use 5 htp for Fibro and Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

My doctor said to take 5htp for my anxiety, panic and fibro tender points. Anyone try this? Does it work? Any side effects?

I have tried an SSRI and couldn't get past the first week from the side effects. I'm super sensitive to meds. Doctor said 5htp should do the same thing and less side effects.

I heard from one friend who had some tissue swelling. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

Thanks!
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I don't notice any side effects frolm taking it.

I suffer greatly from anxiety at times. It seems to come in waves now and then. I've learned to do deep, slow breathing when it does.....concentrating on my breathing. I understand GABA will also help though I haven't tried this.

Did you know that anxiety usually comes from some fear of something or loss of control over a situation. I've read a lot up on this. You might want to read some of Lucinda Bassets' books on this.

I wish you luck with dealing with this.....I know how awful it can be.
  3. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

People with M.E., CFS, & FM are all prone to times of physically induced anxiety and jitters which are usually due to an over stimulation of the brain, which then dumps adrenaline into the system.

5HTP does help. Sometimes though, Klonopin or Atavan is needed.

I woud try the supplements first to see how they worked for you. I have never had any bad reactions to 5HTP.

All the best to you. MicheleK
  4. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

I have stopped all pharmaceuticals due to side effects. I, too am very sensitive to meds.

I would recommend Fibro Freedom from Pro Health. It contains 5 HTp as well as D3, Glucosamine SUlfate, Malic Acid, MSM, Magnesium Hydroxide, Chondrotin, Boswellin, Turmeric Root extract, & White willow bark extract.

This product changed my life for the better. I take 2 capsules at night & have gotten the best sleep I've had in a long time. I also take a capsule or 2 during the day if I am flaring. They make me very relaxed & ease a lot of pain. I have not had tissue swelling from this product.

Pro Health, which sponsors this board ,has good helpful products which have helped me immensely.

Dee
  5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I too have gone off all pharma meds. I have used just about all of them with very little improvement and lots of side effects.

I use the fibro freedom by PH and an additional 200 mg of 5htp at night for sleep. L-theanine with suntheanine during the day and GABA supplements at night helped me the most.

I have had pretty severe anxiety do to the fibro pain. When the pain would increase then the anxiety would go up because in knew my insomnia would get worse. Then the pain would get worse because of lack of sleep. And so on. It would get so bad I would have panic attacks. Then I would have to take anti-anxiety meds then the side effects of those started more problems.

All of this anxiety and pain has been greatly reduced after using supplements. After 4 months of using my supplement cocktail I would say I am 75% better most days. If a flare starts then I quickly rest and pamper myself to recover faster.
  6. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I too have gone off all pharma meds. I have used just about all of them with very little improvement and lots of side effects.

I use the fibro freedom by PH and an additional 200 mg of 5htp at night for sleep. L-theanine with suntheanine during the day and GABA supplements at night helped me the most.

I have had pretty severe anxiety do to the fibro pain. When the pain would increase then the anxiety would go up because in knew my insomnia would get worse. Then the pain would get worse because of lack of sleep. And so on. It would get so bad I would have panic attacks. Then I would have to take anti-anxiety meds then the side effects of those started more problems.

All of this anxiety and pain has been greatly reduced after using supplements. After 4 months of using my supplement cocktail I would say I am 75% better most days. If a flare starts then I quickly rest and pamper myself to recover faster.
  7. a20030

a20030 Member

Hi!
    I know many people who use 5-HTP to treat their firbomyalgia and it works great to reduce their symptoms. Totally natural supplement. I first heard about it via a website called brain-feed and an article called 5-htp:effective treatment for fibromyalgia- it was a great read. Find it!
  8. I use Viibryke anti depressant but my shrink MD in Paducah new what he was doing started me slowly wks util I got 40 mg daily I had NO side effects