anyone use a female urinal??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

My mom has been doing bad so just wondered about getting her one as she is confined to her bed.
    Rene
  2. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

I WORKED IN CAREGIVING 5 YRS. THEY ARE REALLY NOT BAD IF YOU CANNOT GET UP. UNCOMPFORTABLE A LITTLE, BUT WHEN YOU FEEL REALLY BAD AND NEED TO GO IT IS NOT BAD. THE TOILETS YOU PUT NEXT TO THE BEDS WORK WELL TO IF SHE CAN GET UP AT ALL. I USED TO JUST CLEAN THEM AND LEAVE SOME LYSOL WITH A LITTLE WATER IN THEM, IT MAKES IT EASIER TO CLEAN EACH TIME. PLASTIC TABLE CLOTHES WORK GREAT TO PUT BETWEEN THEM AND THE CARPET. THEY ALSO WORK GREAT BETWEEN THE SHEETS AND MATERESSES SOFT SIDE UP IF YOU USE A URINAL AND WORRIE ABOUT SPILLING. GOOD LUCK,
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

... and my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Perhaps the female catheter (an external device) has been improved over what is used to be; however, in the hospital, we preferred using a bedpan or even a "fracture" bedpan rather than a female catheter due to the adhesive factor making the catheter uncomfortable. You may want to check the female catheter out at a local health supply place.

If your mother were able to get up and on a commode, I'd recommend that over the bedpan. You can give a bed bath on the commode, much easier and better than bath in bed. If your mother's prognosis is such that she will remain in bed, you may want to consider a regular catheter and asking about having home health come in. Medicare will pay for intermittent skilled nursing visits to help with changing the catheter, and the materials that are used are much better at preventing infections.

The idea that someone gave regarding the use of the plastic tablecloth is a really good idea! I'll remember that one for the future.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Thank for your help. Good idea with the tablecloth. My mom broke her wrist and is in a wheelchair so it is hard. I'm having trouble with showers again but thankfully I can go to the bathroom on my own and always have been. Yes she has medicare so that is good! She was going to have a cathater in surgically but her heart test came back abnormal.
    Thanks again!
    rene[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]