Anyone use Celexa?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kloet4, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Kloet4

Kloet4 New Member

My doctor just suggested I switch from Effexor XR, 75mg per day to Celexa. I was just wondering if anyone has taken this drug and if there is any side effects to this medication? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa K.
  2. TourGuideBarbie

TourGuideBarbie New Member

I was on Celexa for about a year and a half. It worked quite well for me for clinical depression (we weren't using it for the firbo). It takes a little while to get the full effect. I went through a brief euphoric phase were I was super happy, energetic - almost manic actually. After a bit things settled out more evenly.

I didn't have any noticeable side effects from it.

Thankfully, I don't need it for the depression anymore. Dealing with this DD is enough all on its own.

Cheers,
    Tour Guide
  3. jaflo

jaflo New Member

I have been on celexa for over 2 years.I have been real pleased with it.Out of all the drugs I've tried this has had not ONE! side effect.Plus it hasn't pooped out after all this time.Hopefully it works for you!
    JJ
  4. wle

wle New Member

.....a few years ago for depression due to a very stressful jog. It seemed to do the trick for that. Don't remember any side effects. WLE
  5. chalmeba

chalmeba New Member

I tried celexa not for depression but to help with symptoms. It made me very very nauseous as well as gave me rapid heart beat and made me feel very manic. I stopped taking it b/c it wasn't worth the side effects. However I think this is relatively rare. Usually side effects disappear within a month or so.
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I am on Celexa, but I will be switching to Paxil because my insurance won't cover celexa anymore. A doctor told me that Paxil is good for fibromyalgia and depression. I hope it works for me.
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

has the fewest side effects from all other SSRI's as I found out after trying Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor, etc., this med was a blessing for my CFS symptoms and still is after taking it for a few years now.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  8. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I took celexa for 2 years, also. Aside from the sweats it caused, it worked great.

Paxil put me to sleep. I could stay away just long enough to get from the bed to the couch, and I was out again.

Zoloft worked well.

The same applies to all the antidepressants I have taken, they all cause sweats.

What you need depends on the type of neurotransmitters that are not working so well. Serotonin is not the ONLY thing that causes depression.

Love,
    Sumbuni

God Bless!
  9. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I took celexa for 2 years, also. Aside from the sweats it caused, it worked great.

Paxil put me to sleep. I could stay away just long enough to get from the bed to the couch, and I was out again.

Zoloft worked well.

The same applies to all the antidepressants I have taken, they all cause sweats.

What you need depends on the type of neurotransmitters that are not working so well. Serotonin is not the ONLY thing that causes depression.

Love,
    Sumbuni

God Bless!
  10. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

That's me clapping and cheering for whoever invented Celexa.

I've been taking it for 2+ years. When things got more stressful and I had breakthrough depression Welbutrin was added. The combination works well for me. Wellbutrin activates Dopamine. I don't think any of the Dopamine receptors were working for me before. It made a significant difference in how I felt emotionally. It also made a tremendous improvement in my ability to concentrate.

Anti-deppressant medications do a world of good for those of us who suffer from depression. It can be, however, trial and error to find what works best for you. Have patience, you'll get there. I'd encourage you to work with someone who has a lot of experience with prescribing and evaluating medication effectiveness. Caution: not everyone is good at it.

Hoping you feel better soon.
  11. libra55

libra55 New Member

It did nothing for me except cause the sweats. And I do mean sweating. Nasty, copious perspiration just pouring out of me. And someone else here mentioned palpitations of the heart, I had those too on this drug.

Well I guess it probably does work for some people, we are all different and have different metabolisms. I have a good friend who is on it. She has had great success with it. But I didn't like what it did to me at all.

Take care,
    Michelle
  12. jan5473

jan5473 New Member

I just had my doctor change me from celexa to zoloft. Celexa caused me to sweat so bad and caused me to have anxiety attacks. I think all anti-depressants make you have nightmares and also decrease your sexual desire. Jan
  13. CdnGirl

CdnGirl New Member

but when I finally gave in to taking a "anti depressant" for my symptoms (not for depression), my doctor pushed for 1/2 a tablet of celexa. The first one he tried me on was Paxil. That turned out to be nightmare! Major anxiety attacks with that one. I Celexa has helped me. It took a while but worked. AND the beauty of this drug is that it does not go through your liver.

Kelly
  14. karenq

karenq New Member

I tried Celexa for a while and it didn't seem to help much. Plus I gained 23 pounds while on it. However, I have a friend who takes Celexa and it helps her a lot.

Karen
  15. bleweyz39

bleweyz39 New Member

Hi all...Im new here.
    I will share my experience with you all with Celexa. I had horrible side effects at first. They lasted almost two solid weeks. UHG!! I had trouble sleeping, dry mouth, and worst of all...I felt drugged. After a while the side effects stopped as I became used to it. I started at 20mg and eventually went to 40mg for about 2 years. I must say that I felt NO change with the Celexa until my doctor added Wellbutrin 100mg daily to it. At that point I felt better, but after a few months I felt it was doing nothing for me. Now my doctor just gave me a script for Zoloft, and Im afraid to start it cause I just cant deal with any side effects right now. Naturally we will not be able to find the right med for us until we try each one. What a long road. Glad I found you guys. :)