Anyone use EPHEDRA to combat Fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anchor, Mar 4, 2003.

1. anchor

anchor Member

Hi - I was wondering if anyone has used or is using Ephedra (supplements w/ephedra) to combat the fatigue those of us with FMS and CFS experience daily?

I am new here (and to FMS Dx) and would really like some feedback, experiences and your opinions.

Thanks.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sure there are probably people who are so desperate from fatigue that they are willing to risk the dangers of this substance, but it isn't worth the risk.

There was a woman who kept posting all over our board for people to contact her at her website where she advised them to use Ephedra. I warned her once and she came back and kept espousing the benefits of her regimen and claiming that using Ephedra was safe at low levels. I banned her because I was afraid someone new to our illnesses might be persuaded to try this stuff. It just ain't safe!

Love, Mikie
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I suffer from great fatigue, however I also value my life. I have learned to live with the fatigue. It's not worth dying for. People die from using ephedra. Just read the sports pages recently. A 23 year old pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles died just a couple of weeks ago and he had ephedra in his system.

Barbara
  4. kckitty

kckitty New Member

I have been off and on metabolite for a few years-I dont use it for dieting but its such a fabulous energy booster without making you feel like you are on speed-now thats just for me but it does scare me and I tend to get very nervous and my blood pressure goes up a few notches. I have been an absolute slug sleeping all the time so thats why I have been taking it. I only took 1 a day. BUt I saw my shrink yesterday and she suggested drinking coffee-I use to drink 8 cups a day but nothing now except a few cups at Starbucks. So I just bought a mister coffee and some starbucks coffee and will try that out instead of using the metabolife. good luck but if you do have high blood pressure or anything like that I'd reconsider. By the way I am 56 so everything is affecting my body and hormones so you might be younger and it might be a bit "safer" for you as long as you dont take more than 1 or 2x a day.
  5. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

I just drink awhole lot of coffee. My not be the greatest and it does make me alittle shaky but it a heck of alot better than that stuff.
  6. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

I actually think that Ephedra in the form of Ma Huang may have started the onset of my illness!!!

I took it in the recommended dose on the container after I had been exercising. About 15 minutes later I felt like I was going to die. My heart was pounding severely, I couldn't focus or catch my breath, I felt like I was going to throw up. I asked my daughter to call my hubby on the cell and tell him I needed to go to the hospital.

I went to the ER and my heart rate was about 160. They told me it was an effect of the Ma Huang and that they see it often.

After this incident, I found it increasingly difficult to exercise, and a couple months later I experienced another random episode of tachycardia which sent me to ER with heart rate in the 150's. I was taking no meds at the time. Since then I have wound up in the ER many times and was finally diagnosed with having POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and orthostatic hypotension. CFS diagnosis was questionable for me and came later on, as the POTS symptoms improved but the fatigue worsened.

I can't be sure if this was the onset of my illness because one of the reasons I was taking it was because I was feeling more tired than usual and having trouble sleeping so it is possible that the illness was coming one way or the other, but with all the recent news on the Ephedra, it really really makes me wonder.

I really wouldn't mess with this drug.

Elaine
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Talk to your doc about something to help with getting quality sleep. My fatigue is still with me, but it's much improved since taking the Klonopin and Synthroid. Many here use just the ZMA or use it in conjunction with their Rx's for sleep.

A little caffeine probably won't hurt and I now drink my coffee made half with and half without, but I drink only two cups a day, max. Many docs do suggest a little caffeing, but it can become habit forming.

Love, Mikie
  8. talldi

talldi New Member

I should think with the deaths of otherwise healthy young athletes, including in recent time a baseball player ( only a few weeks ago), football player (last spring tarining camp) and basketball player (last season) the dangers in ephedra have been brought forward to people nationally. It has been known in the medical community since the 80's, when over-the-counter diet aids started causing young healthy women to have strokes. I myself had a 23yr old friend RN who worked with me in public health nursing take one after she couldn't lose post baby pounds and she had a severe stroke.
    Please buy yourself an expresso machine if regular french roast coffee doesn't work. They have very nice ones now that aren't that expensive. I do a double expresso when we have something to do that day where I have to be out for hours. Otherwise I just do 2-3 cups of strong coffee in the morning and switch to decaf for the rest of the day.
    di
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

I drink green tea but try and limit it to 3 cups per day or less. When I have to drive somewhere more than 10 min. I will take a caffein tablet. The box says one tablet is equal to 1 cup of coffee. Oddly the tablets work better for me and dont give me the jitters like the stuff in the cup. They dont need sugar, cream or stain your teeth. I start with I/4 tablet and the do another 1/4 in a half hour if needed. I found them at the dollar store. If I do this several days in a row it ceases to have effect so I save it for special days like going to the grocery store and doctor etc.
  10. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

Yesterday I purchase a 4 pack of "diet" pills with Ephedra as the primary ingredient. I did not take them because if you read the packaging "ANYONE WITH THYROID DISEASE IS ADVISED NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT". That was enough for me! I'll stay chubby and alive thank you very much.
  11. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Been doing a lot of research on natural products, but like other say, be careful with ephedra. I would avoid it myself. Look into CoEnzyme Q10 and NADH. Just type these into the search engine, and you will find MUCH information.