Anyone use Flexeril? Need Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 10, 2009.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I was given a scrip for Flexeril as I have lower back pain and tight muscles. After reading about it--the side effects sound really scary.

Anyone use it? Does it work? Did you have bad side effects?

Thanks in advance,
  2. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

You may want to take it at bedtime, or when you do not have to drive so you can see how you will react to it. I would not be afaid of it though. The only side efffect that I would think would be likely is sleepiness.I take Soma which is stronger, and have never have any issues and it provides some relief.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I was on Flexeril for about 6 months. It did help me and I did like it. It made me sleepy for about the first month but then that went away although I think it did help keep me asleep at nights as I took a larger dose at night and the smaller in the morning.

The reason I stopped taking it was because I gained weight on it. This is apparently a VERY RARE side effect as it isn't even written in the patient info. It took my docs a little bit to figure out it was the Flex causing it but it was the only new med I had started in that period and I didn't change my diet. When I stopped taking it I lost most of the weight but still have a tiny bit.

I was able to switch to Skelaxin with no side effects or weight gain and it helped just as much so I was lucky with that.

But I do not think (IMO) that Flexeril is an unsafe medication. I have a very good friend that has been on it for years with no bad side effects and my mom has taken it in the past so I would definitely give it a try. Just remember it's one of those meds that can take a little bit to get into your system and start working and if you do get side effects it's very reasonable to believe that they will pass in a couple of weeks.
  4. loto

loto Member

I've used flexeril, and it really helps. the only thing it did to me was make me super, comfortably relaxed, and eventually made me go to sleep. so, if you have to go somewhere don't take it!!!! also, i found if i took it past 6 in the evening, it would make me pretty groggy the next day. but otherwise, it does the job!!!
  5. emmally

emmally New Member

for ovarian cysts...darm those things hurt...havent had one n yrs. funny they said that birth control was what prevented them which I was on while I was getting them and than went off due to other issues and the cysts went away.....imagine had no problems with flexeril for pain and it also relaxed me...good stuff..but yeah dont drive on it...just relax
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Everyone responds to meds differently. For me, I was on flexeril for several yrs. and it wasn't till I got off of it and went to soma did I realize it was making me depressed. I was a happier person once I quite taking it.

Take care,

p.s. don't take zanaflex. Caused my sis liver damage.[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2009]
  7. mezombie

mezombie Member

I was on Flexeril for five years.

I took it at bedtime with a tiny amount of Sinequan (Doxepin) as the two work well together for pain and sleep. I didn't have any problems with it other than it made me sleepy. I also had trouble getting to sleep at that time so it actually helped with that as well.

It took a while to kick in -- I think 3-4 weeks.

It was prescribed for my fibromyalgia. After five years, I started to taper off because my pain level was so much lower.

As long as you don't take it during the daytime, you should be fine.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2009]
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I have pain from my neck down to my pelvis along the spine--MRI says arthritis. I've been diagnosed with discoid lupus (skin type), myofascial pain, and I do have osteoporosis (which I haven't taken Actonel for years).

I've only taken Tylenol so far and this just takes the edge off. My main problem is sitting in the car and not being comfortable for a ride. I want so badly to take a 4 hour trip to visit my new grandbaby.

I sleep OK--don't feel the pain when I'm lying down--it's the daytime sitting and on my feet. So, I don't think the Flexeril may be the right med for daytime.

This hit me about 2 weeks ago, after I had a session for trigger point massage. I figured I would hurt a couple days until the lactic acid released but I could hardly walk. Now it is just up and down the spine.

Have an appt with a rheummie next week. I wish he would give me a steroid dosepak just to get me started with relief. The only other drug my cardio mentioned was Darvocet, because he said it was the mildest of the pain killers. Even 1/2 Darvocet will put me to sleep.

I have tried rubs like Biofreeze which helps temporarily and a BenGay patch if I can pinpoint the spot. Other than that it's ice paks and heat.

Does anyone know if even a mild case of Lupus causes pain? Or does Osteoporosis cause pain? There is a med (in injections) called Foteo for osteo and wondered if any has tried this? May start a post on this controversial med.

Thanks again for your information.

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Tania
    Flexiril is widely prescribed for muscle aches/spasms etc. It works quite well for many people. Of course as with everything we're all so different.
    It wasn't strong enough for me, so I take Soma.

I've never heard of a muscle relaxer needing 3 weeks to get into your system. They usually take effect within 30 min of taking them.

If you decide to take, start with 1/2 maybe when you know you'll be home. See how you react to it.
    I can take Soma during the day, no problems - my brother who is a big guy can't take 1/2, he gets wired. So like I said, how other people react, really has no bearing on how you will.
    Good Luck!
  10. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

I have used it for over a year & so far it's the only scrip that has not given me side effects.
    I usually take a half tab a couple of hours before I go to bed. I use more if I am having a bad flare or, like right now, a lower back issue. If I take a full tab, I get very sleepy.

11. jesfms

jesfms New Member

dry mouth, drugged feeling next day unless i took it early evening, gained weight
  12. ulala

ulala New Member

of Flexeril. Amrix (cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride) is supposed to have less side effects. Comes in 15 mg. capsules.
  13. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I do take Flexaril on occasion with no problems. I also take Ultram (tramadol) primarily that seems to help with pain. Both are muscle relaxants and I use the Flexaril to boost the Ultram during bad flares. I have FMS and lupus so I cannot answer the question on if lupus causes pain, but I do know that I have differing types of pain at times that I suspect is one or the other and sometimes a combination of the two. This is definitely a complex issue to have both diagnoses.