anyone use/have a service/guide dog for their Illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have been falling down at least 2-3 times aday and this is everytime I go out, I was told there are service dogs for people like us ( I think they are called balance dogs) but where do I start looking? any help would be great.

Love to all, Ann
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Ann,
    I have a service dog that I got from the rescue. I used to train and show my own dogs in obedience (for about 30 yeares) and so I elected to train my own dog, so that I could own her (One does not own the dogs gotten from an association). If you don't want to do that, :

There is a place that trains balance dogs in Philadelphia. I dont remember the name, as I can't travel, so I eliminated it from my list. They do dogs for Parkinson's and that is kind of the dog you would need, although it would not need to know all of the things that Pariinson's dogs know.. There is also one in Santa Rosa,California, although they are not as well funded as the one in Philadelphia, and the total cost, once one does the training, residency, and buys necessary things, would probably come to about $3,000.00. That's another reason I decided to do my own.

Look up the Delta Society. They explain a lot, and provide helps. They even have a manual for doing it yourself. You also need to find out what the laws for disabled persons and assistance dogs are in your state. I live in California, and we are luckjy to have great laws, with the result that my dog can go everywhere with me (almost) while she is in training.

It is really easy abnd I can tell you, that my dog has changed my life. I can hold on to her when I am losing my balance, when I'm going up stairs, and she helps me when I fall. Most of all, I don't feel so vulnerable.

If you decide to do it yourself, just be sure that you get a dog with an "amiable" temperament. The way you tell if a dog has this kind of temnperament, is that when it wags its tail, it wags low and wide, or all the way around, like a windmill. A dog that carries its tail high, and wags it up high, is typically a dominant dog, and they do not do well, because they are not as anxious to please.

Good luck. I wish you success and lots of fun.
    Terry
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Wow Adl123 I didn't know that about picking a dog by the way they wag their tails. Can you do this when they are puppies?

Like Ann I would like to know more about service dogs. I couldn't afford to buy one at this time but would love to train my next dog myself. Though it is me that probably needs the most training. lol

hugs Redwillow
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Terri and Nancy for all the information you have given me it really helps me alot to start my journey.

Love to all, Ann
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Yes, you can tell this when they are puppies, as well as when they are adults.

I got this information when I took a class on how to train assistance dogs. This is how the instructor taught us how to pick our puppies.

My expences were as follows:
    rescue dog - $200.00
    halter - $28.00
    patches - about $15.00 - (These were:"Please don't pet, Im working",and: "Assistance dog in training"
    collar - $49.00 - (I got a Shitzhund training collar from Germany. It is a wide, felt-lined, leather collar, with a small, flexible handle attached, that stands about 2" up from the collar.(the halters with a long handle, like a seeing eye dong's handle, are about $4oo.oo).
    county dog licence $11.00
    Kindness trainng halter and leash - about $20.00.
    I got my information online, lookiing around, and through the Delta Society, also online.

Good luck,
    Terry
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Well you got me looking at dog tails! LOL I have too silly labs so they wag their tales for everything.

I hope you are able to get your balance dog Ann, this sounds like a wonderful idea.

hugs Redwillow
  7. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

nancy, could you give me the information on those 2 places you were talking about..if you have it.

Redwillow, I too hope I get get my Guide Dog, fell again at my mothers house...thank goodness it was on her lawn, I am soooo full of bruises, I'm just thankful I haven't broken anything yet.

Love to all, Ann
  8. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I truely beleive that a dog can help in any illness. There is a website that I will have to look for.

I had a maltice for 12 years and she passed away I beleive 12/2000 and I missed her so much, because she was wonderful for me when I first got sick.

We just this year got another puppy. My hubby had always wanted a beagle since he was a child, so that it what we got, and she is soooooooooo loving.

We also foster bloodhounds for search and rescue, but that is kinda of hard, because you keep them for about 5 months and have to turn them back in for boot camp, and its so depressing, cause you get so attacted to them. But its also rewarding.

Dogs love you unconditional. Love Brenda
  9. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Summit Assistance Dogs in western Washington state trains balance dogs.

www.summitdogs.org
  10. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Clay for this information, i really appreciate it.

Ann