Anyone use meditation for FMS pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Sep 21, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Just curious about alternative methods and if anyone has success with them. Also about alternative resources...how to find support groups, etc. Thanks!
  2. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I use meditation often to take myself away from the pain and to relax my mind. It does seem like the times I need it most, however, I am least able to maintain any focus or relaxation- the physical pain screams too loudly.

I would contact my drs office and the local hospitals to seek out support groups, not knowing where you live.

Good Luck!
  3. dorrene

dorrene New Member

I have tried a Magnet mattress....reduces my pain about 50%.
    Also small magnets on tender spots like my neck, upper back lower back have helped a lot.
    Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day reduces pain. If I get dehydrated pain is a lot worse. Gentle yoga is wonderful.
    Fish oils EPA DHA etc...
    Systemic enzymes

Accupunturists and chropracters, herblists, naturalpaths all can help. My family doctor says alternative methods are best for CFS and Fibro
    Hope this helps,
    Dorrene
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I think I'm starting to see a big lessening of the pain. I also found out I was taking the wrong magnesium so I've changed that. Magnesium oxide is basically a laxative.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

and try to every night if possible.
    Sometimes I don'ty have much luck getting my thoughts quiet tho.
    Its tough to meditate.
    It takes alot of practice~
    Sometimes I meditate on a word,...just repeating a single word over and over slowly in my head.
    Sometimes I use CDs of calming instrumental music.
    It does help to focus in the beginning on your breath.
    you'll feel yourself relax more.
    It does help somewhat with pain.
    (maybe cause we're focused on something else??)
  6. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there Elizajane,

Meditation has definately been a blessing for me. I have always meditated to a greater or lesser extent but alot more since developing FM/CFS.

A couple of years ago I went to a 10 day Vipassana Meditation Retreat which was the best thing I've ever done in my life! Yes a big rave but it's true.

It is a very gentle, peaceful and supportive 10 days and that amount of time means you have the opportunity to REALLY master the technique.

The best part of all is the retreats are FREE or by donation. They are only about meditation and learning the theory and techniques of meditation.

Vipassana Meditation Retreats are offered all over the world so if you are interested I suggest you 'Google' Vipassana and find a centre near you.

Once you've done the initial 10 day retreat for beginners, you can then do I or 3 day retreats. I try to do at least one 3 day retreat each year and would crawl over broken glass to get there if need be as I find the results priceless.

No it doesn't stop the pain but I can block it out for an hour or so (along with worrying thoughts, loud music etc) and the sense of peace and calm lasts even longer. Given I meditate for one hour x twice a day that makes for a big chunk of pain reduced time throughout the day.

Often (to be honest that really should read always) during a flare, I will meditate lying down in bed.

Meditation also gives me somewhere else to go (in my head at least) when the effects of the illness are getting me down.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had similar results from Vipassana?

Cheers Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2005]