Anyone use Xanax or same type of drug for sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Jan 27, 2006.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Just wondering and how well it worked?

GBHope
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I've taken it for a couple of years for sleep. It helps me fall asleep, which is what I need because my mind races and my anxiety is terrible at bedtime.

Works well for me.

JL
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

for a while. Don't know why it was prescribed as I have depression, not anxiety. Anyway it had no more effect than M&Ms.

I did take something for sleep. Haldane? When I got a new dr. he stopped it. Said sleeping pills were only for short-term use.
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I have used it for many years, it works very well for me. Good luck to you ~ Bette/ Karen
  5. bigmh

bigmh New Member

GB...I had terrible anxiety while getting off of Cymbalta and could not sleep...hardly 3-4 hours/night! So, the xanax has helped tremendously...it's been a lifesaver! Good luck...Ann
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I don't specifially use it to help me fall asleep, I take it for panic attacks and general massive muscle tension and anxiety, but if I take enough of it, I end up getting very relaxed and fall asleep very easily.

A med I highly recommend trying out (with a doctor's help of course) is remeron. It is an anti-depressant, but they are frequently used for anxiety issues and it has been a major help in helping me get restful sleep. I haven't had any side effects and I've taken it for 2 years a while ago, and when i went off it i didn't have any withdrawl problems.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm taking Xanax .5 mg. 3 x a day. I take it before bedtime, but sometimes after I take it I'm up for hours. But it helps to relax my muscles and is part of what helps my FMS.

I've been on the same dose since 1997 for FMS and haven't had to take more of it.

I was originally on it prior to 1997, for anxiety and that is how I found out it helped the pain of my FMS when I was in a flare prior to evening knowing I had FMS.

It still helps me...

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. janieb

janieb New Member

I've used it for about 10 years. At first it worked really well. Lately, I wake up about 3 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. My doctor has now prescribed a type of the same drug that is slower release and is suppose to work longer, but I haven't found that it works very well. I use .5 mg at bedtime which she says is a very small doseage. Since I'm 62, if necessary I'll go to a higher dosage, but since I retired early, I don't have to get up in the morning, so it's manageable.

Good luck.

Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  9. GBHope

GBHope New Member

which is the same thing as Xanax, just a generic form. I don't like taking it, but since I've been going through menopause, I have not been sleeping all that great, surgical menopause. I can't really take any HRT because of side-effects. I took it last night and slept pretty good. I woke up two or three times, but the first time I woke up, I had slept for about 5 hours straight which is great for me right now. I know I need my rest because my EBV is high right now and have been very sick the last few months. I majorly flared after my surgery because I didn't rest like I should have.

GBHope
  10. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I took Xanax for almost three years and don't think it helped all that much.

Klonopin (Generic; Clonazepam) works better for me. It is however in the same family as Xanax but doctors seem to like prescribing this one better than Xanax.

Lindy
  11. turquoise

turquoise Member

Lorazepam is generic Ativan. Alprazolam is generic Xanax. They are both benzodiazapines, but different drugs, and most people have different reactions to them.
  12. turquoise

turquoise Member

13. GBHope

GBHope New Member

How long have you been taking the 0.5 of lorazepam for sleep?

GBHope
  14. GBHope

GBHope New Member

15. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

I know that Xanax helps with falling asleep, but has anyone found that it helps with your brain not being so active at night?? I can fall asleep ok and can stay asleep all night, but I have some pretty intense dreams that make me feel like lived through another whole day when I was supposed to be sleeping and then wake up exhausted from that dream.

Any input???

Angie
  16. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I try to use Xanax sparingly, but if I just cannot sleep, I will take a couple of tablets. It does seem to help without making me feel groggy the next morning.

My doctor will only prescribe 1 mo. at a time. No refills unless the doctor authorizes each time. That's ok with me, but I sure try to make them last!!

Kinsie
  17. blkkat

blkkat New Member

generic form- clonazepam. it calms my mind, and my restless legs, I CAN SLEEP!!!!!

normally i could only sleep 2-3hrs. with out waking and then only 4-5 hrs. a night on a good night. now i can sleep 6-8 hrs. (((( straight!!!!! ))) and wake for the first time ever,

that i can remember feeling fresh!!!! still have a 9 ((pain scale)) but not so FOGGED OUT! and can deal with LIFE better!

BUT DR. warns me it may not work for ever-TOLERANCE!!
    i already need 1.5 mgs for the leg thing, plus i also take neurontin for legs also. BUT for now thank GOD i can SLEEP!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!! HUGS!

MONA

18. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

is a godsend for me. It helps put me to sleep and I take it as needed during the day when I overdo activity or just feel yucky. It really helps calm my symptoms down. Generally I take half a .5 mg pill at a time fo a total of about 1.5 mgs a day.

Gretchen
  19. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I had to good nights on lorazepam and two not so good. I may try it again tonight and see if works or not. May try it for a couple more days and if nothing works, then I guess I'll go back to what I was doing.

GBHope