Anyone used Exelon for concentration problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Jul 2, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Yesterday when I saw the doc and told him about forgetting to shave one of my legs, he prescribed a new medication called Exelon. While he left the room, I looked up the name in the little drug book from my insurance company. I looked it up to see how much it was going to cost but when I found out the heading it was listed under, I was a little surprised. It's a drug for Alzheimer's. So as soon as he came back in the room, I asked. Do you think these memory problems and concentration are from Alzheimer's? They're not, they're from the Fibro. Of course he poo pooed me, and said no he didn't think that, but it might help the deterioating (sp) memory.

I looked it up and truly am a little afraid. This may sound crazy and more than a little paranoid, but what if...no never mind. I'm not even going to say it. But I didn't find anywhere that mentions using it for FM.

Here is some info. Could someone who thinks more clearly than I do take a look and tell me what you think? I sure would appreciate it.

Exelon is used in the treatment of mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's disease causes physical changes in the brain that disrupt the flow of information and interfere with memory, thinking, and behavior. By boosting levels of the chemical messenger acetylcholine, Exelon can temporarily improve brain function in some Alzheimer's sufferers, though it does not halt the progress of the underlying disease. Exelon may become less effective as the disease progresses

Side effects from Exelon cannot be anticipated. If any side effects develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe to continue taking Exelon. More common side effects may include:
    Abdominal pain, accidental injury, anxiety, aggression, confusion, constipation, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, gas, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure, increased sweating, indigestion, inflamed nasal passages, insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, tremor, unwell feeling, urinary infection, vomiting, weakness, weight lossĀ· Less common side effects may include belching.

That's not all the info, but the high points.

BTW, I started on my sublin B12, but haven't noticed a change yet and I had my first visit with the therapist last Friday. At the end of the visit she told me I was a therapist's dream. Guess that means I'll be going for a while. lol.

Hugs
    Annette

2. sofy

sofy New Member

I remembered an old post and had actually put it in a file and found it. Can you believe that??????? Banner day.
    Look for post by GRITMAN
    I found a doctor who cares ------------ etc
    I bumped it up for you to read.
  3. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I did a search but didn't find anything. I probably mispelled it. God, I'm losing it!!!

Hugs
    Annette
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Annette, the name of the topic is "I found a Physician who cares... and prescribed me what works..."

Sofy bumped it up for you, and right now it's on page 1.

In gritman's first post in the thread he doesn't say "exelon", but in his second post he does. I just printed out the 1st and 3rd pages so I can talk to my doctor about it....

[ advertisement ]