Anyone used licorice for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by evol_or_revert, Oct 10, 2006.

1. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I've always loved licorice, But the last few months it's as if I need it. I crave it and dont feel settled till I get it. I've found it really helps settle my stomach.

Alot of sites on the net do talk about licorice helping fatigue.

"Licorice
    Licorice is highly valued as a medicinal herb by the Chinese and is an ingredient in almost all of the Chinese patent herbal formulas. Licorice has a sweet taste and helps combat fatigue. The active constituent in licorice, glycyrrhizin, stimulates the production of hormones, including cortisone, and stimulates the production of interferon, which boosts immunity. Licorice is an old herbal remedy that has been used medically for Addison's disease and adrenal insufficiency (Baschetti 1995a; 1995b)."

I found this in the treatment for cfs page if it helps.

Anyone else found its good effects

evol
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I use to drink a licorice tea, but havent seen it in a long time. Sounds good for us, and a lot of CFS suffers have low blood pressure.

I do, unless i'm going thur a spell of tachycardia, rapid heartbeat.
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've used it for laxative purposes. When I was a child in Britain, I can remember chewing on the licorice root like it was candy.

Nice to hear it's good for other things.

Eileen
  4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

but causes me headaches now, most probably because it pushes blood pressure to much up.
    i also feel very light headed.
    in Ayurveda it is considered as an immune modulator, can surpress the immune system, when taken in high doses.
    it is one of the herbs which can cause complications and the FDA has warned taking it.
    i am in a dilemma also, since it really helped me, but there are this side effects ......
    karina
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i take dgl licorice root chewables 2x a day. it doent raise your blood pressure because they remove the glycyrrhizin from it. so if anyone would like to try it that has problems this is the way to go i also noticed that most of my twitching is gone then my mom read me something out of her herbal book about it relaxing the muscles that was an added benifit. charlene
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I read somewhere (here) that one should take licorice 3 weeks on , then one week off....maybe it was from Stormy? That has been our plan and I think it is helping his energy level.
  7. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

I LOVE LICORICE! BUT i have celiac sprue too so i acnt eat it,i was also told that if you have heart trouble you cant take it and i had open heart surgery last year so one more thing i cant do and i love,take care all,angelkisses