anyone using cane?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynn3811, Oct 21, 2008.

1. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

hi all,
    Has anyone started using a cane? Walking anymore is getting really hard. I was thinking about getting a cane, but am not sure if it would really help. I'm not really ready yet to use a walker or chair (maybe some misplaced pride here), so thought a cane might be good to staqrt.

Does anyone use a cane?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies!!

Lynn
  2. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

Hello,

Yes I use a cane occasionally, although if you have weak wrists they're not too great. A <i>MUCH</i> better option is a crutch. Get the European style though - that grips around your forearm, not the underarm design. They allow you to put much more weight through it and help stabilise your arm so you're not straining your wrist so much.

Steph
  3. jodboga

jodboga New Member

I have used a cane for over a year , a wheelchair for the grocery store and mall , walmart I use the electric scooter . my knees are so bad I bought a liftchair , it helps alot .My balance is really bad too.
  4. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I have been using a cane on bad days, last couple of mths been using a walker more. Find that it is not as exhausting walking with it. Then there are those days when i wake up and can't even lift up my legs or arms. What a terrible feeling it is! When i go to wal-mart the cart works as a walker would. Then i am exhausted after though. Take care!
  5. jole

jole Member

I tried using a cane because my balance, coordination and fatigue did not allow me to even get groceries. But unfortunately, with my terrible coordination problems I found myself tripping over the cane more often than not. For me it was a hinderance, not a help.

If I could afford them, I would definitely get the arm crutches for walking. I think two would be safer than one cane for me, but we're all different.
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

i USE A CANE BUT IT DOES HURT MY WRISTS. GET THE KIND WITH A FLAT HANDLE NOT ROUNDED.

ALSO USE SCOOTER AND WHEELCHAIR WHEN I CAN OF COURSE THERES PROBLEMS WITH THEM ALSO.

HAVE TO USE ELECTRIC CART OR THERES NO WAY I CAN GROCERY SHOPPING.

L
    IKE THE IDEA OF ARM CRUTCH.

HAPPY HOBBLING