Anyone using kefir???? especially o type blood group??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly8, May 6, 2006.

1. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I was talking to someone who said that kefir played a very significant part in their recovery from CFS. I have heard of it, but, because I have trouble with milk products and I am an O blood type, I have not investigated it.

It seems to require a certain amount of organization and effort.

Has anyone had any success with it?
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I've never heard of it. Where can I get some? Either the kefir or the starter. BTW...what is the starter like?

Thanks.

God Bless.
  3. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

This site is one that provide free kefir starting "bits" and info. and recipes etc. I have not contacted them, but it provides useful reading. rejoiceinlife.com

I did not know you could buy the kefir already made up - I think I would try that instead of trying to make my own.
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi there,

I am type O and drink Kefir. I can't tolerate dairy, so I strated this very slow. Only one sip on the first day and now up to 1 cup a day.

I buy Helios Kefir at my local health food store. They have the kits, but they are $40 and buying it ready made is so much easier. Plain Helios is gluten, corn, and soy free.

I mix in fruit, etc for flavor and I use it the same as you would sour cream.

Here is the breakdown from the label

1 cup = 120 cal, total fat 4.5 g,fiber 2 g,sugar 13g, cholest 18mg, soduim 90 mg,vit a 10%,calcium 31%,d 18%
    Ingredients - org cultured milk, org non fat dry milk inilin/fos, live active kefir cultures

Kefir is one of the richest food sources of probiotics. Much higher than yogurt.

The quickest way I know to research this is to look up my Dr. Perricones superfoods post and go to the Oprah website given. On the website you will have the option to click on Kefir. I did a lot of research on kefir and found this article to be the easiest to read.

Gotta love Kefir ... Marcia

6. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

The book "Body Ecology Diet" by Donna Gates devotes a whole chapter to Kefir.

She enthusiastically recommends this delicious fermented drink as a superior choice compared to yogurt.

Its bacteria and yeast cells help create a healthier gut milieu to prevent or recover from candidiasis.

It is believed to be better tolerated than other dairy products.

She admits that it is mucus-forming like all milk products, but she believes it is a "good" mucus that, again, helps establish a favorable gut environment.

Chug-a-lug-- cheers to your good health!
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Thanks for the info. It is really appreciated. I think I shall give it a go, but start out slowly. I'll check out the health shop and the supermarket when I get out later this week.