Anyone using Lyrica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by baytalon, Sep 6, 2007.

1. baytalon

baytalon New Member

Hi there,

I'm newly diagnosed with fibro and my rheumatologist put me on Lyrica. I've weather the "high" feeling and feel like I'm beginning to get some relief. Just wondering if anyone else has tried Lyrica and what their results were.
  2. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I was just given a script and some samples today. I will take my first one tonight. I hope it helps. I'm glad it's helping you - that makes me feel encouraged!
  3. donna07

donna07 New Member

hello
    yes I do Lyrica and love it! I didnt at first because I had to take it 3 times a day and could not drive. made me drunk like. now I only take it at bedtime and it helps alot.
    Good luck to ya, dont drive untill you see what affect it has on you. OH, get fiber! you will need it LOL
    Donna

PS. seems to take about 2 hrs before I can tell its working.[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2007]
  4. nurseinpain

nurseinpain New Member

I've been taking 75mg of Lyrica every 12 hours for one month now. I requested that I switch from 50mcg Duragesic patch to Lyrica. My doctor thought I was crazy but I was getting little to no relief from the patch anymore so I was willing to try anything. I am getting some relief from the Lyrica (more thatn the Duragesic). It isn't "the magic pill" by any means but it does help! It has been giving me double vision, especially at night when
    I lay down to watch TV and blurs my vision when I try to read but that is definately improving also. I believe that the recommended dosage is higher so when I return to my neurologist next month I will requst a slight increase if my vision is still improving and go from there. Good luck to you. Amy
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for 2 weeks now. I take 50 mg at bedtime and also 50mg earlier in the day. At first I think it helped but now I am still hurting and just feel bad all over.

I may have something else going on besides fibromyalgia. I have a ton of labwork for do that will test for Lupus, my current EBV levels, etc.

Problem is, I am supposed to fast and am having a problem doing that, or getting there early. Oh well. I am thinking to stopping the Lyrica and seeing how I feel.

I just feel bad when I first wake up then it gets a little better as the day goes on.

I was wondering how everyone else feels when they first wake up while on Lyrica.
  6. franglass

franglass New Member

I've been on lyrica for almost 3 weeks now, raising the dose gradually 25 mg at a time. I'm up to 125 a day, and the goal is 150 (at least right now).

I noticed that 50 mg. worked for the first week, and then all the pain came back, so I was disappointed, but then when I raised it to 125 I felt better.

I hate to confess that I kind of like the high feeling. I guess it isn't too high, or it wouldn't be pleasant. But it's high enough not to be so anxious or tense in the shoulders. So that makes life a lot different for me.

The one downside is the hunger. I can see the real tendency for weight gain. I have to really watch it.
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I would feel guilty if I did not tell you my experience with it. I still have NO confirmation from any doctor if it was from the Lyrica...but I slowly went off Cymbalta and swiched to Lyrica about two weeks ago. Within 2 days of being on the Lyrica, I was in VERY bad shape. By the 4th day I had to be taken to the emergency room. I was nausaus, vomiting, diareah, could not move my neck or upper body...bad migraine, fast heartbeat and high blood pressure. The ER did a blood and urine workup and could not find anything wrong...so they too assumed it was the new med and told me to stop.

I have now started back on the Cymbalta and I am feeling much better. It has been a slow climb back up but I am feeling stronger every day. I have not heard of many people that had such a strong reaction to this medication...and I am not sensitive to meds...this was scarry.

I am glad it is helping so many others.
    jmq
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Lyrica about 1.5 years now. It is very helpful to me. It took about 2 months for all the side effects to go away but they did.

I have not gained weight on Lyrica.

I take 300mg 2xDay
  9. ziasss

ziasss New Member

This is my third week. At first I took 50mg 3 times a day, that was for 10 days, now I'm taking 75mg 3 times a day. I think it does help some with the pain, I'm taking less vicodin anyway. And I just feel better in general, except for the fiber thing;)

My pcp said for fibro patients they get the most relief at about 400mg a day. But you have to gradually work up to that.

I just hope I can afford it when my samples run out. With no insurance, no job, no SSDI thats always a concern.

Does anyone know how much it is?

Nancy
  10. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

If you didn't give the Cymbalta 6-8 weeks to taper off, it was likely the Cymbalta that caused you to have those symptoms. You have to taper off SUPER slow off antidepressants or you can experience anything from mild to very serious side effects. After a month of being back on the Cymbalta, how about trying the Lyrica again? Stay on the Cymbalta this time. Just take them a few hours apart.

Baytalon- I've been on Lyrica for about a week now. I'm taking 75 mg's twice a day. So far the only side effects are some brain fog and slighty fuzzy vision, mostly noticeable when reading small words. I noticed on day #2 that the Lyrica was helping some small back pain. I'm anxious to work up to the 300+ mg range to get the full effectiveness of the medication. I have tons more pain in my whole body that's waiting for a miracle ; )
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi there-

I have been taking it for about a month and it has taken away most of the soreness and achy feeling. It has really helped me a lot. I am able to move around in the morning time now where as before I would be very stiff and sore all over. I take 75mg once a day at night time. Seems to help me rest too.

Kriket
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

In the beginning I felt better taking 50 mg of Lyrica. It has been about 2 weeks and the past two days I have been hurting and feel terrible. Actually worse than before the Lyrica.

Tonight I cut back to 25 mg to see how I feel tomorrow. I have been very sleepy in the morning and feel bad when I wake up.

13. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I take Lyrica for my sciatic nerve pain,the pain in legs/butt thing from my back trouble.Works good so far,had to up my dose though.
  14. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I have been on Lyrica for 18 months now and I think its wonderful even though I have heaped on the weight....

17kgs as a mattter of fact....

Am on 225mg a day with two strong pain relieve codeine and its great but beware if I miss a dose.....

no side effects except for the wieght

Good luck

angel hugs
    connie
  15. baytalon

baytalon New Member

Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful info. I just jumped to 300 mg. I50 mg twice a day. (after a week at 150 mg. a day.) I can definitely feel a difference. Those of you who commented on the vision issues, I've noticed that too but only in the evenings. My take on the "high" was that I hadn't felt that mellow since 1972....LOL. Seriously, I'm doing much better with the "high" feeling and definitely have not been driving. Thanks for the tips about the fiber...I've noticed that too. Watching the weight issue carefully. I can really tell it's working since I missed a dose yesterday and the pain came roaring back. I have my fingers crossed. As some of you noted...it doesn't cure the problem but it's sure a big improvement.
  16. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you...maybe I will get brave again, but not for a long time. I did go off the Cymbalta really slow. About 5 weeks and I was down to 30 mgs every three days and felt no side effects....it was when I started the Lyrica that all hell broke out. It would be nice to know what caused what.

Hang in there everyone and keep up posted on your progress

Hugs,
    JMQ

17. floe

floe New Member

Hi All

Sounds like most of you like Lyrica. Shame us in the UK will never have the chance to use it. Due to our health systems won't fund it.
  18. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Lyrica is not funded as part of the Canadian health system .. unless you have another type of medical insurance to subsidize it .. I am lucky and have 80% coverage but all my meds together are still expensive especially the Lyrica ... so no free ride here by any means ..
  19. sweet105

sweet105 New Member

I am in the UK and am on 300mg a day following diagnosis of FM......first prescribed 75mg x 2 daily and gradually built dose up by physicain. UK use the name Pregabalin (Lyrica). Blurred vision was a problem, reading small print etc but that seems to have subsided now.

Missed a dose? Well, cannot use such lanuage to describe how the pain comes steaming back in but I can honestly say that Lyrica offers great relief and...yes, the 'high' is quite a nice feeling, relaxed and chilled.

Am a bit confused as to the other member saying that us in the UK will never get the chance to use Lyrica??

Soft hugs,
    Sweet.
  20. kjade

kjade New Member

And I really thought it was helping the Fibro, but THEN the past few days, I have been in a major flare, and I'm beginning to lose hope with this. NOW, I'm only taking 75 mg which I was supposed to increase to 150 this week. But I'm too afraid because my body still can't adjust to the side effects (dizziness, grogginess, blurred vision).

I asked here before how long the body takes to adjust and most people said only about a week or two, so I will continue to try since I felt such relief from my pain after only a few days. I think the latest surge of heat and humidity is what put me in the flare - it always does....but thankfully, it is supposed to cool down here soon.

Hope you have luck with it.