Anyone using the Fentanyl/Duragesic patch??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Aug 17, 2008.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Hi everyone,

If anyone is using the "patch", I need your help.
    My doctor just started me out on a 25 dose Patch. I just put on my second one today. My problem is that on the third day, I was in hell. I know that they are supposed to give pain medicine over a 72hr period. However, it failed to do that. I had serious pain on the 3rd day. I have taken all different kinds of narcotics over the past 5 years, and this does seem to give me more relief that anything else, plus I think that it is better for my liver.

I go back to see my pain dr. in 2 weeks. I hope that someone can give me more info. about this patch. I asked the pharmacist and he just gave me a blank stare.

My second problem is that I am so scared that this thing is going to come off. I know that their controlled, and I'm not sure he'll believe that one came off and I lost it. Right now I am putting this type of athletic tape over it. I have tried the Nexcare waterproof things, but thay didn't stick at all.

Third problem, from what I've been reading your not supposed to get in hot tubs or anything like that. But, my Dr. told me to go to wateraerobics everyday (probally another reason I think it's gonna fall off) and the pool is about 88 degrees. He told me to use a heated pool, or that maybe even get in the hot tub for my muscle pain. I am just really confused.

Any help or info. would be great!!

2. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I take 100 mcg. Everyone that I know who uses it says the same thing. The last 24 hrs the pain returns. Maybe if your doc ups the dosage the intensity of the last 24 will be tolerable. My first 24 hrs is the best I feel.

Now for keeping it on. I have been through a ton of different bandages. I sweat alot in the summer so it has been tricky. I have found that after I shower and dry off I go into a cool room. I apply the patch and then cover it with 2 bandaid extra large extra adhesive. They stay on, even in water until I remove them.

Hope this helps.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mother has been using the patch for 5 years. She used to use clear plastic bandaid type things to keep them on but since they came out with the new kind she no longer needs to anymore...they stay on no problem.

She, I think, changes her patch a little before the 72 hours is up...I am not sure how early but I know she does it a bit early. Her doctor is aware of this though and writes the prescription accordingly.

Also, my mother goes in a hot tub every day. She has never been told not to go in a pool or hot tub. Her daily hot tub soak is something she really looks forward to.
  4. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Do you know where to get them? I should probally call a pharmacy to see what they know. I am going to check with the manafactuor of them, maybe they know something about these overlays.

Thank you guys for all the info. I haven't posted in a while, but thie site is always there for me when I am in doubt. Thank you
  5. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

BUMPING, for a little more info.
  6. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Like I said, this is my second patch to use. I think that your right about not covering the patch completely with tape, only the corners. My patch right now is completely covered up with 2 pieces of strong athletic tape. I also called a pharmacist last night. He said the same thing, not to cover the whole patch, just the corners. He said something about the patch needing to breath.

Unfortunately, if I take the tape off of my patch now, the patch itself will probally come off too. The pharmacist also told me about an overlay called bioclusive/tegaderm. He said I could pick it up at the pharmacy. I'm going to do this right when it is time to put on a new patch.

I've also decided against the hot tub for today. It's my first water aerobics lesson. The indoor pool is about 85 degrees. Do you think that might be too hot?

Also, I know that I am definately a good candidate for the patch. My doctor had me on 5 Percocets a day, and my tolerance just kept going up. So I am definately not new to opiods. I started off taking Tylenol #3 5 years ago, but overtime, my pain has increased.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Hugs, Shan

7. Skyemberr

Skyemberr New Member

I was on these patches in the first year after the injury which sparked the FM. I only stayed on them for about a month and a half. They DID really help with the pain, but I was extremely concerned about how medicated I felt all the time. I could just tell I was going to feel extremely sick as soon as I stopped wearing them. The strength of the patch worried me a lot.

I ended up stopping them and sticking with MS Contin for awhile. MS Contin sucked. Now I take less than that (tramadol and Lyrica), but I think I hurt more now than I did in the first year!

I don't really recommend that patch unless you really feel you have used up all of your other options.I did not feel like it was very healthy.
  8. ETN

ETN New Member

I was on this prior to taking MS Contin when my pain was at an all time high.
    I didn't tolerate them at all. They just made me extremely sick.

I don't know if you have children or pets around but make sure you dispose of them properly. They are VERY dangerous even after used.

I also feel that it didn't last the 72 hours at all. I worked in a pharmacy for 15 years as a tech and many of the patients complained of this. So depending on the strength the dr would just allow them to change it every 48 hours.

Good luck
    I would try the tegaderm like the Rph suggested.
  9. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I found the Tegaderm "overlays" today at the local pharmacy. They are sort of square, clear, pretty much protectors. But, like I said, I had already put the athletic tape over it yesterday. So, what I did today was put the overlay on top of the athletic tape while I did an hour of water aerobics today. Then I took it off when I got out of the water. I think I messed up with the athletic tape. I just feels like it has dried up the Fentyanl patch. I will use just the overlay when I apply my next patch though.

I am going to ask me doctor to let me replace every 48 hrs, instead of every 72 hrs. I do think that I am handling the effects of the patch pretty well. It's a nice change to not having to take 1-2 pain pills every 4 hours.

I've already read alot of "horror stories" about this patch. I don't think I'll ever want to up the dosage to anything higher. The 25 seems to be working just fine.

The water aerobics was harder than I thought it was going to be. And, it was taught by a Fibromyialgia patient. It's the first time I've ever met anyone in person who has FM.
    It was a little disheartning becasue she was about 10 years older than me, and she seemed so much healthier and happier than me. Perhaps, her teaching aerobics has done that for her.

Please keep posting any and all info. I keep checking for more posts every couple of hours.
    Thanks Already
  10. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

You're so right.

I was the youngest person in the pool. (I'm 30 yrs old). I had brought my mother-in-law with me tonight and she did so much better than me. For some reason, I thought water aerobics would be a walk in the park-WRONG. And then, my mother-in-law kept bragging about how much better she did than me. I just mumbled at her under my breath. (there's no easy way to handle in-laws)

It's not your fault for not warning me-I should have known better. Thankfully, I do have this patch on to help me with the after effects of the pain.

I should of listened to my pain dr. when he said the pain will get worse before it gets better.

Thanks for the info. , I was starting to feel inadequate.

11. caffey

caffey New Member

I had the same problem. My pain guy told me that some people after being on it for 6 months develop a tolerance and he switched me to changing it every 2 days and if necessary we will change it every day. I am currently changing it every 2 days. You aren't supposed to completely cover it. I sometimes have trouble with it sticking so I use tape on the corners. Pain in the butt.

As an aside. I put mine on a highly visible place i.e. chest. I think people thought I was crazy but when I landed in emerg. last Christmas semi conscious and they pulled off my night gown the first thing they saw were the patches.
  12. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

As far as I understand the Tegaderm patches that you can put over the Fentanyl patch breath so it's not like they are being completely covered. I am not positive of this but I know my mom used to use them and I believe that is what the doctor said.

As for the dangers of the patch...the patch used to have a gel layer, if this gel layer got punctured then there was a chance of the medication releasing too fast. They have since changed the patch so it no longer uses the gel layer and therefore this is not a danger anymore. The patch now sits flush against the skin.
  13. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Hey guys,

This is another update:

Today was my day to put on a new patch. This time, the only covering I used was the Tegaderm overlay.

I can see where I went wrong already...
    Here are my theroies:

-The first 2 patches I used, I did not know what to put over them. So, I used a pretty heavy tape and covered the patch.
    I think that the tape was too heavy, which is why on the first day I got really kind of high. I did not want that. That's why I got off the pain pills. Since so much medicine was released the first day, there just wasn't much left.

-Also, I noticed that when I had the athletic tape on and took a shower, the tape itself seemed to dry out pretty badly. I'm thinking that it also probally absorbed the medicine from the Fentanyl patch and it dried it out also.

These are just my thoughts. I've been on sort of a crusade to figure out how to wear the patch properly. There's not a whole lot of info. on how to wear these properly. I think that the responses that I got from all of you guys helped me alot.

Right now I'm not getting that too high feeling from this patch, so I think I'm on the right path. I'll keep you all posted and let you know if it does better on the 3rd day.

Thanks Again,

14. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

15. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

My neighbor used this patch for over a year and he now has some severe kidney damage as a result. They told him it caused his one kidney to fail and they took him off before the other was damaged too severely. He now has to go to a kidney doctor regularly as he must be watched very closely. Such a shame he is just in his early 40's.

So please be very careful and be monitored very closely for any kidney disfunction.
  16. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

You should always be carefully monitored when you are on any type of narcotic or long term drug. I know that myself and my mom see our regular docs once a month, have regular blood tests and so on and I also see my Rheumy regularly.

If a new symptom crops up I don't just put it off to FM I get it checked out.

There are lots of things that can be caused by lots of medications...some people will get them, some won't...but the oweness is on us to make sure we are regularly monitored.
  17. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, I was on the patch, but found there were just too many problems with it. Lyrica helped me so much more.