Anyone using Topamax for pain for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suesue49, Aug 13, 2006.

1. suesue49

suesue49 New Member

Just started on this about 4 days ago. I take it at night before bed. Can't tell much yet. I am in terrible pain most of the time. I sure hope something works.
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

and my daughter was given some samples to help her lose weight but there are some side effects such as tingling in the face and loss of appetite. My friend has lost a lot of weight (too much). I think if you work through the tingling of face side effects, that goes away. Don't know of anyone using it for fibro though.
  3. suesue49

suesue49 New Member

Thanks The weight loss would be okay because the anti depressants have seemed to help me gain. What are some other popular pain meds for FM?
  4. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

Hi suesue49,

Tried Topamax for a very short time. It does not work for me. Many doctors try to give you that drug because I don't think it is habit forming. Unfortunately the drugs that do work are addictive. Have you seen a pain management doctor? They can help you more than your family doctor. If not, you need to see one. I have been on a cocktail of drugs, but the ones that work most of the time(not all of the time) are usually the opiates. I take Duragesic Patches, Vicodin, Soma and Xanax. I'm not saying that I am not in pain, but it sure helps. I sure hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs,

Jackie
  5. suesue49

suesue49 New Member

I am new to this so it is nice to know some one is out there with the same troubles. I am really having a hard time getting on meds that I do not have serious side effects from. Thanks for the encouragement-Sue
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Sue
    I take 50 mg twice daily for migraines. It helps. It does make my hands and feet tinlgles real bad, but as far as weight loss, which I've heard is a side effect, I'll have to wait and see. I have only been on it a month. I think I may have lost a few pounds, but not sure. My mom takes it for FM pain, and she has lost a lot of weight taking it. I see the weight loss as just an added bonus, haha!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. suesue49

suesue49 New Member

KellyAnn-It is always good to know that other people know something about what you are taking. I sure hope it does some good for me. Thank you for answering. I really appreciate it. Sue
  8. Shelbyeatenton

Shelbyeatenton New Member

I thought Topamax is just used as an anti convulsant and migraine relief medication.

I use it for the former. I have Epilepsy and it part of my combination therapy. I didn't realise it was used as a Fibromyalgia medication and certainly didn't know it was used as a weight loss drug?

I love how you every single time i come on this site i learn something new!!! :)

Hope it helps you!!