anyone w/ FM have hard time wearing high heels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susi-di, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

With the pain and weakness it is getting harder for me to wear high heels for work, but that is what "looks" professional I guess. I'm thinking about getting some low heels, my knees are killin' me by the end of the day. Susi-di
  2. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

High heels? What are those? Are those those shoes that look nice and make your legs look pretty? I've heard of those I think! heh. I haven't been able to wear anything other than my sneakers and a favorite pair of flip flops or about 2 years without serious pain. The saddest part is I'm a 19 year old with a serious cute shoe fetish and I'm probably going to be wearing orthopedic shoes in about 5 years. :( I also can't wear perfume because it gives me migraines...super sensitive to smells apparently. *grin* Life goes on though. My mother has to wear dressy shoes for her work and swears by the brandnames Dansko and Naturalizer. Apparently they're cute, professional, and comfy at the same time. Hope that helps! eHugs!
  3. wendye

wendye Member

Hi Susi-di

Yes my feet are so sore from wearing shoes with high heels. They hurt for days after I have worn them. Just being on my feet for long periods of time makes them hurt.

Wendy
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I love shoes! Used to have so many. But I finally gave them all away and I was sad about it. But there is hardly any shoes that I can wear as most hurts my legs so bad.

Be good to yourself. Keep comfy shoes. Look around. There is cute stylish low heeled shoes. Different colors and all.
    Many people wear flat shoes and they look nice. Do not feel that you do not look nice in them. Besides, you are more important.

It is not easy finding the shoes you will like, but you will find them. Usually when I find a really comfy shoe, I buy more than one color of the same shoe.

Good Luck and Blessings........Susan
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I haven't worn high heels in 3 years and boy do I miss them. I always had high heeled boots or shoes on when I went out socially...however I don't go out socially anymore either...
    I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of the shoes though so I have a rubbermaid bin full of shoes/boots for "when I get better".
  6. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Well,Susi-di,

Do yourself a big favor now before it's too late, honey.
    Get yourself some very nice, comfortable low heels, and really dress them up with the nicest matching handbag you can find. You'll look gorgeous!

Your health is more important than wearing a high heel shoe. I'm here to testify to that. I used to wear them all day to work and all night dancing... and now that I have FMS/CFIDS, DDD, OA, and other related issues, I wish someone would have let me in on the secret. They will ruin your back, knees, and feet... even more so if you have our diseases.

I'll bet you will still be "the" professional with the "mostest"...how about that?

Hugs and best of health,
    Lew
  7. huska

huska New Member

yeah, I MISS USING THOSE. THE LEGS LOOKS SO GREAT !!!! WELL, BUT I HAD TO STOP USING THEM MANY YEARS AGO. YOU CAN FIND VERY NICE SHOES WITH A LOW HEEL AND LOOK GREAT, PROFESSIONAL AND COMFORTABLE. I'M CRAZY ABOUT SHOES, JUST NOW I HAVE TO GO TO THE MOST COMFORTABLE ONES. AND I ALWAYS FINDS FASHIONABLE, CONFORTABLE SHOES HERE. I'M SURE YOU'LL FIND SOMETHING TOO.

GOOD LUCK.
    OLGA
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

are fashionable too nowadays and you can still carry yourself well wearing them.

High Heels, a distant vision in the past.....love looking at them but thats all I can do.

You'll only hurt yourself more by continuing with them, give yourself a break.

love
    Rosie
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But I had an event to attend a few weeks ago..and went shoe shopping..and found that I could not find ONE pair of dressy shoes that I could wear at all!LOL Fibro is fun!
    I have a fall back pair of comfy strappy flat sandals..and that is what I ended up wearing..but other than slippers...and Birkenstocks...I have a very hard time finding any shoes at all that are comfy for me.
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have not worn high heels in 20 years .My back is to bad and my legs hurt .They also hurt my knees .Hon give them up that's the nicest gift you can give yourself .

I have never figured out why they were ever invented unless ,it was for torcher. LOL

I just remembered I wore heels to my Daughters wedding 6 years ago. My toes on my right foot went numb for 3 Days no lie .I was getting scared I damaged nerves so no I will NEVER wear them again.They are not worth it.
    I wear gym shoes or Good Sandals .[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
  11. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

The lyrica makes me swell so I cant even wear closed shoes..have to wear slip on ones.....Lucky you to be able to dress up...I cant even wear pants with a button and zipper because of the pain!!!!!!!.......Lina
  12. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

SHoes or boots with a thick heal are the only way I can wear them and not very often at that...but there are lots of nice low heal shoes out there.
  13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

ive had the same pair of sneakers for over 3 1/2 years and they still look good i use to buy new ones every 6 months i gueess when you dont leave the house there is no need to. charlene
  14. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I haven't been able to wear heels for 30 years and for the last 15 years worked at a law firm. I just found stylish flats.

The last 2 years of working I had to go to birkenstocks, very embarrassing but had no choice. I wore suits with pants and socks to match the pants and shoes. Many people didn't even notice!

I had to get a podiatrist's note for wearing "open" shoes. But it was better than being crippled. LOL

Take care,
    Susan07
  15. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

so it's just as well i can;t wear them.eh.

I have abnormally wide feet and about 6 yrs ago added heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. I wear orthotics and have to buy EXPENSIVE shoes and even then in the speciality stores only one or two styles will fit.

Luckily there is a factory outlet near here that sells some of the good brands and has special labelsfor wide fitting. I wanted some semi dressy shoes but even though my orthotics fit in them there was NO support and I knew I would end up in even more pain if I wore those... then I found a black walking shoe by Brooks that offered far better support.

So it's fancy walking shoes most of the time (in black they look a little less informal), clompy expensive boots in winter and Birks around the house... I won;t win any footwear fashion prizes but right now I am past caring.

I'll probably end up in supremely ugly orthopaedic shows as some point but so long as I can dye 'em (I hate the colours...) I won;t care!
  16. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Like thicker heels or even wedge heels. Stay away from the skinnier heels. And don't go over 1-1/2" to 2".

Also, wear flats or tennis shoes on your lunchbreak, to give your feet a rest.

As a teen, I used to walk in heels with the greatest of ease. Now I can barely keep my balance in flats :)
  17. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

I have not been able to wear any heels in years. Too many problems with my knees and ankles.

They do have nicer looking shoes available from naturalizer and other brands that have some height.

Ingrid
  18. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I used to wear all colors and all kinds and had 23 prs. shoes. Now it is brown and black flats plus running (no I don't ruin!!!!!) shoes for winter. For summer, one pr everyday flats and 1 pr SAS sandals for good. Thaat's it!!!

Joan
  19. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I can't wear them, they just make me too sore. They do look lovely but in the end there are more important things then looking lovely.

There are some nice flat shoes around its just a matter of finding them.

hope u sort it out

evol
  20. "have a rubbermaid bin full in the closet--for when I get well"

I am 28, will be 29 in January, and haven't been able to wear heels, most boots (with ANY kind of heel, even 1/4 inch--just noooo support, soles are too thin, and non-'giving'...

When I was younger (and still) I loved nothing more than shoe bargains. :-(

I couldn't even put the DUSTY things in the bin, hubby did it one day, without my knowing, until it was done...and I did NOT expect my reaction---which was first, slight anger....ha ha-slight---"how would YOU like it if I just went and boxed up all your John Deere collectables, and/or pocketknives without even telling YOU!?"

Then apologizing, admitting he was right--that I don't/can't wear them anymore, and we have NO room for them (two closets! though, in my defense..lol one closet is TINY) stacked on 3 leveled racks...

Now it's 3 pairs of sneakers, probably 10+ prs of slip ons (with & without the heel) LOL--still collecting, just different type...and it's not near as enjoyable, but, I can tell you I have slip-ons in grey, black, brown, maize-colored, white canvas, white leather(KEDS), suede, felt-type material, leather...

Can't take EVERYTHING away from me! lol.

I do have SOME dress shoes-aka--toe crunchers, arch-killers, out for unfortunately the many funerals hubby & I have attended in the last 7yrs or less. At least one relative of ours has passed almost every year we've been married. And, as well, some weddings. For my Best Friends wedding, though....I had to wear my "classiest" slip-ons, even. with Khaki slacks etc.. (the pants nearly cover all but the tips/front of the shoe anyways..

*sigh* sad. I cldn't even wear my "good, pretty" shoes in my wheelchair. Same as Prickles & others, severe* foot cramping. no thanks.

I wish I'd known sooner, as well, but SHOOT, I started having hip pain at 18, working in nursing homes...wearing the RIGHT shoes.....because any minute I wasn't* at work, I wanted to dress as nice as possible (kinda stinky, hot work in nursing homes...)

I DID know, though, and just didn't listen. I loved shoes, was single, loved bargains, and WHO DOESN'T like to look nice....but, honestly...

How many people really look at your feet? If they do..who cares? They may be wondering where you got your cool shoes, or thinking "I bet those are comfortable" etc.

Save whatever you can (bodywise) for as long as you can, you'll still look great! It takes extra shopping, I will say that, at least for me, but, I like to think I'm still alright, I'm just not a dress/skirt person anymore, I wasn't really that much anyways... just loved great boots of alllll kinds, styles, heel, etc...before. The pain sure does move right up the body though, feet, ankles, knees, hips, lower back--and for some here (maybe me too?) even higher up the bod.

Good Luck, treat yourself to some new shoes! You'll be fine AND Professional, with the right low-to-no- heel shoes.

Laura