Anyone w/high ANA 7 Shingles outbreak?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofsorts, Sep 5, 2006.

1. outofsorts

outofsorts New Member

has anyone on the board ever had there ANA tested and have it come back positive. O this past Monday I also came down w/Shingles........ugh!
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

but my ANA from two weeks ago is positive. doc just told me that "last year's ANA" was also positive at 320. (i think he said it was 160 this time). he also said, "i don't know that that means anything."

he's referred me to a rheumatologist and a neurologist. ordered a ct scan of the brain and nuclear stress test. i don't have a diagnosis of ANYTHING yet...but my ENT thinks i have CFS.

please tell me that a positive ANA doesn't mean i'm going to get shingles now, too!!!

TERRY
  3. outofsorts

outofsorts New Member

Not sure about that, my Doc said I probably got shingles because of my ANA & immune system being screwed up along w/the stress. My ANA is at 160 and I just had more blood work done last week to rule out Lupus. This is what I was wondering, from what I understand an abnormal ANA means you have an immune disorder but I have been denied by 2 Rheumies so far because of the Fibro diagnosis I received back in 2002. Just don't understand. Please let me know how you make out once you receive your tests back.

Kim
  4. BHopeful

BHopeful New Member

From my experience, having a positive ANA is not normal - even if you don't come up positive with a specific auto immune disorder. Many people (docs included) feel CFS and FMS are basically non specific auto immune disorders so the ANA means something.

However - our bodies have amazing ability to heal (always remember that). Keep it monitored. Mine used to be positive and now it's negative (yeah!). My health problems have shifted to other areas (not good), but I no longer have horrible sore throats and enlarged spleen (both signs that ANA was high and immune system was upregulated or attacking itself).

Just keep it monitored and know it can change.

Ben
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

what do you mean "denied by 2 rheumys"??? Denied what???

I'm confused!

Terry
  6. outofsorts

outofsorts New Member

My primary feels as though I could have Lupus or another immune disorder because of my ANA & white blood count. My family is loaded with Immune diseases and my father died of complications to one also. Dr.has referred me to 2 different Rheumatologists now and once they see my file and the Fibro diagnosis they cancel and refuse to take me on as a patient. I don't understand, like I couldn't have more than one diagnosis.........makes me wonder!!
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

What's having FM have to do with anything??? Don't they believe in it? I thought rheumatologists pretty much accepted FM??? Seems like they'd want your MONEY anyhow...run a few tests, etc.

My CT scan this week turned out normal (thank, GOD!).

I have my neuro visit on 9/15. Hope to get some pain relief.

I'm going for my first visit to rheumy on 9/22. But I know he treats FM because of the info. I see on his website. Assuming then that he also believes in CFS.

I need help. Every day I have new or worsened symptoms. I feel like all my systems are shutting down.

Please keep us informed of what happens with you. Maybe your PCP's office can find a rheumy that will take you and make the appointment for you. Call them (your PCP) and tell them what is going on!!!

Good Luck!
    TerryS