Anyone wake up sweating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Dolphin82, May 28, 2005.

1. Dolphin82

Dolphin82 New Member

Hi to all,

After i wake up wether in night or morning i wake up sweating and cold but if i stay covered i still wake up sweating doing my head in dosethis happen to anyone else at all.

Dose anyone know why.

dolphin82
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am 49, female, have FM, still have periods so know it's not the menopause. I go thru the same thing. I am all sweaty and throw off the covers, then get cold and put them back on, wake up sweaty again. It goes on all night long.

I think we with FM or CFS have something the matter with the system that controls our body thermostat.

Michelle
  3. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

I was at least 3 years before having blood work done this year and being told i was now in full menopause. Women as young as early 30's can be peri or pre-menopausal. You start with symtoms long before full menopause.

A wonderful book to read is: The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup, M.D.
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

as a male who obviously has no experience with menospause, i can attest to the fact that sweating/hot flashes are also a CFS/Fibro symptom. i occasionally wake up sweating. last week i woke with a very high body temperature (but no sweating) that resolved itself after i moved my bowels! who the heck knows what's that all about!! :)

eddie
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Here, I have been having hot sweats, nightsweats, hot flashes, or whatever you want to call them for over 16 years.

There is no way menopause lasts that long, and it sure is not Eddie's problem!

If you read the book; 'The Fibromyalgia Advocate' by Devin Starlanyl, MD. You will find that those hot sweats are part of FM.

Mine have been a lot less in the last few years, and I do believe its because I am now taking magnesium, 550-600mgs a day.

BUT when I first wake up, like you just described Dolphin, I will sweat terribly. As long as I do not move, I don't sweat, but when I sit up, thats when it starts. It is miserable. I am throwing covers off, than when it stops I am scrambling for the covers again :(

I keep the a/c in the low 60's at night, and no higher than 70 in the day. This is year round. I can't stand the heat at all.............

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Gly

Gly New Member

Ugh! I thought I had them under control, but they've started up again. I've had cold sweats for over 5 years.

I do best sleeping in a very warm room, unlike most others. That way, I can sleep with a light blanket without "huddling". I realized this while wondering why I seldom had the night sweats during the summer months.

But now we're having a heat wave and I had the sweats for the last few nights anyway. Maybe I should still heat up the room to my normal 80 degrees. I let it cool off during the night somewhat.

I use natural progesterone cream. Without it, I drench the bed and have to sleep on towels! I've tried tapering off it a few times but the sweats come back with a vengeance.

I hope you find something that helps you! And I hope for a dry night for all of us.

~gly
  7. seaview7

seaview7 New Member

I have been dealing with it for over 4 years.I am 43 years old..Every doc told me not possible..."M" but I had my doubts.It has gotten so bad I have to change clothes several times a day.Sweat literally pouring off nose and face..really disgusting.My new doc put my on hormone patch to see if it would help.A month now and no relief. I have been tested for everything. People just don't understand how hard it is to deal with..on top of everything else.At 7 am I am dripping...all day and then again at 11 pm I am still dripping. I will be talking to doc again about it.I don't think they really understand how bad...thinking I am just exaggerating...Any other problems with the sweating symptoms?I have checked Thyroid...
    Sorry you are suffering but always nice to know I am not alone with these difficult symptoms..
    kathleen
  8. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I'm going through the change and I'm also taking cymbalta. One of the side effects is sweating, wouldn't you know. So, I'm sweating constantly, I hate it if I have been in a car with the air on and get out and my clothes are wet. It's awful and summer really hasn't started yet. Also many times during the night I have to change clothes because they are so wet and then I get cold. The cymbalta so far is working great for me, but I sure wish the sweating would slow down. I have uncontrolable high blood pressure so I'm not a good candidate for hormone therapy, ugh! So, it's either pain in my feet along with depression or sweating. It's like if you take care of one thing then there is something else to replace it which it's not fair. Hope you will have better luck with this than me. Take care.
    Karen
  9. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I know I am in peri-menopause.I get night sweats terrible among other things.I am 46.
  10. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Count me in!!! It's been going on for a couple of months now and has me quite perplexed.

I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago and went on HRT immediately so I never experienced hot flashes, mood swings, or night sweats.

I'm very curious why all of a sudden I'm having this sweating. I notice it when I wake up in the morning as I never wake up at night,,,,,sleep 10-12 hours straight.
  11. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

I too have had a hysterectomy, mine was 15 years ago and have been on HRT since. I thought my dose needed to be amended 'cos I was/am having sweats and feeling hot at night, turns out it's not my HRT dose that's the problem. It's the damned Fibro again.

foxglove9922 your dose of HRT may need to be changed...that's supposing your sweats aren't related to Fibro:-(
  12. darude

darude New Member

Sweating can be a sign of sleep apnea as well. I believe its with CNS apnea not obstructive. having sleep study soon so will let you know.
  13. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

My hormone levels were just recently checked and are fine. My dosage was upped over a year ago. I think this is just another byproduct of this nasty disease.
  14. achy

achy New Member

I wake up sweaty, my pillow soaked (ewwww), my hair soaked, etc. Then I get cold...yadda yadda yadda.

But then again...by 7:30am I'm dripping anyway - and its not the Florida humidity - I can be in a/c and still sweat.

Its gross when I'm running errands and the ends of my hair is dripping wet...like on the counter dripping.

Its either meds, peri-men., fibro, or if your lucky...
    all of the above!!

achy

P.S. what's really odd it that my antiperspirant does work on pits...they stay dry! rofl
  15. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Oh Boy!!!!!!!! can I relate to that one. No wonder I am alone, this goes on and off all night long. I am cold one minute and sweating the next. The windows are open then closed, or the fan is on then off. I can't take it myself, it gets me so crazy. I kick the blankets off, then all of a sudden I am opening the light now to find the dam blankets. I become so comfortable, I do everything not to have to move around. I have called in my daughter to open the window for me or close the window, crazy lady I am I must say!!! I am in my late 40's now, so I am assuming some of it is defineatly my menopause... When I was a teen-ager, My dad used to complain to me that he thought my mom was going a little nuts, he would say!! "everynight your mom opens and closes the window all night, and at times there are snow flakes in the room, it is so cold" He asked me to try to talk to her, cause everytime he did, she would yell and say,, " if you don't like it go sleep on the couch....lol now I know what the hell that one was all about. Oh my God, what we have to go through with this dd and all the other stuff woman go through. To bad we all didn't live around each other, we could help one another, and maybe have a good laugh at ourselves, nothing better than that one. I am up here in Canada, and sometimes I feel I am the only one here that goes through all this stuff....the fibro, and menopause. I wish I could find someone here to talk to about all of this, it would sure make me feel better.
  16. jake123

jake123 New Member

Took a long nap today. Since I've been on Topomax, I tend to get sleepy in the pm and I invariably wake up drenched and disgusted and a little smelly so I have to immediately take a shower.
    Of course, one thing I am NOT supposed to do is sleep more than I usually do at night (10:00 to 6:00) so the nap is a no-no from my migraine doctor.
  17. suz9601

suz9601 Member

and I have night sweats...I am not hot actually I am cold when I wake up but I am drenched. I dont' sweat at all during the day and I took my temp last night when I woke up and it was only 97.9 but I was drenched..must be a hormone thing I guess..I am low in estrogen..progesterone..etc.
  18. mommyRN

mommyRN New Member

after 2 years of night sweats and thinking it was perimenopause, suddenly it just stopped (I am 44 by the way). This coincides with a juggle with my antidepressant meds used for my fm. I had gone off prozac to effexor then weened off that to zoloft. I was going to quit the zoloft due to nausea but I noticed the night sweats stopped. So I now take half of a 50mg tab. daily. Nausea gone and still no night sweats. It's hard to know if the other antidepressants were the cause or if zoloft is the cure. I'm pleased either way.
    mommyRN
    by the way I am so sorry for those of you who don't have a good MD. Mine is more compassionate then my family. I don't need to tell him how I feel, he tells me. He also understands tolerance to narcs and is happy to adjust my meds as needed. We all just want our life as normal as possible and if it takes narcotics to do so, so what!