Anyone watched Forrest Gump?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Defor, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Defor

Defor New Member

This is a bit silly really but it's been puzzling me for ages.

I watched Forrest Gump a few years ago and you know where Sally Field says "Life is like a box of never know what you're gonna get".

My question is.... WHY don't you know what you're gonna get? All you have to do is look at the illustration on the boxes to see what sort of chocolate it is...I just don't get it.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

certainly know you're going to get chocolate. But then again, there are lots of dumb quotes.

Take FDR's "All we have to fear is fear itself."

That and unemployment, eviction, starvation, and getting involved in another war in Europe.

Another one is "What comes around goes around". How do we know that? How soon does it take to go around? Will I be alerted when it does go around? If it does go around will it somehow improve my situation?

Just wondering.
  3. Redneon3

Redneon3 New Member

But some chocolates don't have that handy, dandy, illustration I presume that what they are saying is, you just don't know what life is going to give you till it hits you up the side of the
    Good question though...~Red
  4. mgk321

mgk321 New Member

I don't really like chocolates. Can't remember the last time I had one. But my mother loved them and when I was little, I would drive her crazy. I'd choose a chocolate, take a small bite out of it, and if I didn't like it, I'd put it back!

Now, in life, it ain't so easy. You can't put it back if you don't like what life hands you!

On the other hand, I absolutely love the movie! And I guess we're not supposed to be so literal with our translation of the saying.

You should hear my daughter. She know the whole scene, verbatim, when Bubba recites all the things you can do with shrimp! Twenty-six years old and she goes into hysterics as she recites it!

What a wonderful actor Tom Hanks is! I truly believe he is the best actor alive, bar none. He's convinced he was dying of AIDS, was mentally slow, was a little boy in a man's body was alone on a dessert island (remember for most of the movie, there was no dialogue except his) and that he was a foreigner living in an airport. He never fails to amaze me. And of course, in interviews, he's still humble enough to remind us of his bombs, like "Bonfire of the Vanitys." Love the guy!
  5. rockgor

famous but goofy quote:

You can run, but you can't hide.

Of course you can hide. May not be successful, but that is a different consideration.
  6. Defor

Defor New Member

Thanks so much for all your replies...I hadn't realised that some chocolate boxes don't have those little illustrations in or on the boxes. I see what Sally Field meant'd be like a lucky dip and you wouldn't know what you were 'life' eh!
    It's one of my very favourite films...I cried buckets at the end.

NOW...I'm wondering what the saying...'you can run but you can't hide' means...arghhh! I bet there's loads of them!

Take care,
    Defor. X
  7. rockgor

said terrorists could run but not hide.