Anyone who has tried to get COBRA along with medicare, I need help!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lv2sing, Jun 5, 2009.

1. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

My husband just lost his job. I am on disability & am on medicare. We have to turn our 1st COBRA payment in by 15th. We are being told I do not qualify for the reduced COBRA fee (35%), because I'm on disability. Are you kidding me?? If anything, that should MAKE me qualified!! We cannot afford to pay$500 a month just for MY insurance alone, plus my husbands 35% on top of that. I was on his plan while he worked, on a regular price scale. We barely paid $120 a month for BOTH of us, w/ a prescription card. I will not qualify for medicare prescription assistance, becuase they will go off last yrs income when my husband WAS working, so we will have made too much $$. Where does this leave me?? As far as I"m concerned, I am being discriminated against because of a disability!! We can't pay for my meds outright, I'm on like 16 different one's a day. I'll be able to pay for my pain meds, & that's about it. What about all my others? I don't qualify for drug companies prescription offers...again, they go off last yrs income. Is there anyone else out there that has ran into this problem, & if so, how did you get your meds? I looked in my medicare book, & they show extra " coverage" plans you can buy, but once again, they don't cover meds, which is really the only assistance I need right now. The medicare will only pay 80% of my doctor/hospital visits, etc, but that's better than nothing. I'm concerned how to pay for all my medicine. This is another example of our fine government at work ...once again. I just DON'T get why I can't get on his plan at a reduced fee when I was covered before he was laid off. You would think the government would WANT me to be on "regular" insurance, because that's less for the state to pay in the long run!! Once our regular insurance would pay their share, they hardly had to cover anything. Anyone with ideas, please HELP!! PS... I'm in Illinois. Need some answers by the 15th...URGENT!! Thanks everyone :)
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

The only thing I can think of is...have you tried any patient assistance programs for your medication. Ask someone at you physician's office, they may be able to help.

I hope everything will work out for you,

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

bc I am in IL, too and on Medicare and there are several extra coverage plans that do include prescriptions....I am currently on one thru should be able to go online to the Medicare site and compare plans there....they are not all exactly cheap, but the prices depend on what you want coverage for, how old you are, where you live, what type of plan (HMO, PPO, etc).....while I am not thrilled with Medicare in general, bc the things that are/are not covered sometimes seem pretty random, I have been fairly happy with this plan overall (although I still cannot really afford it)

one thing, though, is that there is a time for enrollment at the end of each year - after that they will charge more to enroll or change plans (unless you just became eligible or unless you are also on Medicaide)
  4. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

Thanksfor the help... I'll look under the Aetna. AS you stated, I'm concerned about the sign up period. I believe you are correct about needing to sign up around end of the year. They will probably charge out the wazoo if I can try to get one now. Don't know what we're going to do. Luckily, I'll be able to fill ALL my meds 1 more time before end of the month, so that will help. Thanks for writing me.. really appreciate your trying to help.!!
  5. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

Thanks for writing....I cannot believe you have to pay so much for COBRA! I don't see how you make it! Is the $700 a month the 35% that Obama enacted, or do you not get to "only" pay the 35% because you had COBRA before Obama signed the new law? Thank God the coverage for my husband isn't that high at 35%. I'm going to check into a Part D plan, but as I stated in my original letter, most don't cover meds. The few that do are probably outrageous, & I may not be able to sign up till the end of the yr, or else pay a huge amount. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They often have ideas which you might not have thought of. There are a lot of plans available with Part D, depending on where one lives. It would be nice if you could get one of those and only have to insure your husband with COBRA. COBRA is so expensive because the employer is no longer picking up part of the cost. It is also a bit complicated. That is where a good broker can break things down for you so you can make an informed decision. There is no cost for talking with the broker. He or she is paid by insurance companies for enrolling people. If he or she cannot help you, you will be told. Just pick one with experience who has access to a lot of plans.

Love, Mikie
  7. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

If you have medicare then go to the website and click on medicare and find a part D coverage, my hubby has Silverscript and he pays $50.00 a month for it. Its not based on income and there are several to choose from. Hope this helps you
  8. JFogged

JFogged New Member

should allow you to sign up for a subsidized plan under medicare. Due to the fact his job loss just occured there should be a window of time that allows you to sign up. Most plans, even another spouses plans allow for the spouse to sign up under the others due to a job loss. I know this was the way it worked when I was on ssi several years ago and to my knowledge they have not changed it. You should be able to find out for sure at or by calling a local ssa office.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One should be able to transfer without regard to pre-existing conditions within the time frame; however, the laws may have changed and it may vary from state to state as to how it is handled. The sooner one acts, the better.

Love, Mikie