Anyone with a biological parent who had polio

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by justlooking, Feb 5, 2004.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I was curious if there is anyone else with FMS or CFS that has a biological parent who had polio.

My father had polio as a teenager, he is now in his 60's. The reason I ask is he has been experiencing the Post Polio syndrome effects (for several years) which have some similarities to my symptoms.

I didn't know if somehow polio caused a genetic defect that could be passed on to his biological children.

Just a thought.
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

for any replies
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And she has suffered from post-Polio viral syndrome. None of he brothers got it.

Love, Mikie
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I figured this possibility was a longshot but worth putting out there.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope the symptoms are mild and not too painful. I know my Dad, God Bless him, has a lot of back pain but he would never admit it. Can't imagine the days when Polio was such a threat.

Anyway, thanks!

Have the best day possible.
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2004]
  5. SjVa

SjVa New Member

Hi,

There is also the problem of the polio vaccine that was made from monkey kidneys contaminated with a virus and distributed to approximately 98,000,000 people between about 1954 to the mid-1960's (and possibly later depending on which site you read about it on.) Who knows what this monkey virus did to the general population and their children? It seems from what I've read that once you get a virus, you have it forever, regardless of whether or not it is activated. Maybe this virus is the cause of a lot of these problems and may have been passed along from parent to child. They know that SV40 causes a higher incidence of tumors and cancer, what else might it cause?
    Something else to ponder.
    SjVa
    P.S. I also had polio in 1955 as a child so have studied this subject quite a bit, and the symptoms of post polio syndrome and fibro are very, very similar.
  6. SherryLynn

SherryLynn New Member

Hi,
    My Dad had polio also as a teenager. Before he passed away last Feb., there were times he had symptoms similar to my FMS. That's an interesting idea.
    Sherrylynn
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From the monkeys in some vaccine is in the Herpes Family of viruses and it never completely goes away. It can become a chronic infection or go dormant only to reactivate later.

Love, Mikie
  8. Information

Information New Member

Interesting to see your posting. When I was too little to be able to remember it now, I had polio symptoms -- never the full-blown illness, but enough to have been diagnosed with it. Today, I have FM/CFS/chemical sensitivities. My feeling is that the FM constellation of illnesses are auto-immune and that they are touched off by the lurking virus in the system. There is some work on the relationship done by Dr. Rea in Dallas. -- Jo
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do believe that genetics play a role in our illnesses and many others. I also believe that FMS may be an accompanying illness to many others. CFIDS seems to have so many triggers which are infectious as well as infections of opportunity associated with it. I believe this makes it more difficult to treat.

Love, Mikie
  10. Seagull

Seagull New Member

when she was a child. My father had frequent episodes of severe muscle pain in both his legs since childhood, but the doctors back then thought it might have been tied to his having had rheumatic fever when he was a child. To my knowledge, neither of these had any effect on me. I did not come down with the FMS/CMP symptoms until I was injured in a car crash 12 years ago.

seagull
  11. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

had polio as a teenager. A few years ago she got a mystery virus, similar to FM. She got some info on post polio syndrome, while trying to figure out what was wrong. In the end it just seemed that she had got a "mystery virus' of some kind. She has largely recovered since

She gave me the info on post polio(I am FM), and when I read it I found it was similar to FM, but there were some differences.

As a point of interest, I live in Austrlia, where we did not recieve the 'monkey' vacine, but I believe that FM & CFS are just as prevalent here. We also had that bad polio outbreak (I believe in the '30s or '40s). However I don't think that most FM sufferers that I have met had polio in there family. Maybe these diseases are just similar as they all affect the nervous system. If only we had the answers.

An interesting post.
    All the best.
    Robyn
  12. hayley126

hayley126 New Member

...had polio as a child. He also had 7 types of cancer over the course of his adult life, one of them lymphona, which is common in Africa (!?-we're about as white as could be, lol), but it seems this cancer is somewhat linked to autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune disorders seem to be very common in my mom's side of the family. She has a primary immune deficiency, which is pretty rare, luckily there's a wonderful doctor nearby who's an expert, and she's been recieving transfusions for it. My brother has a similiar one, he is starting transfusions as well. My uncle, my mom's cousins, etc, also have autoimmune type illnesses, sorry I couldn't tell you what. So, that's my family history, and I've got CFS.

Hayley
  13. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am sorry to hear of all of your families illnesses. I am sure on one level or another many diseases are related, but I hope one day someone is going to find a major commonality. Until then I guess we will just keep plugging in at our theories and asking each other questions.

Thanks again.
    JL
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

early 40's but undiagnosed. He missed a whole year of high school and had
    all the symptoms and no after effects. I had it when I was 3, wore
    a brace for nearly 2 years on my left leg..I have a mild limp when I'm tired and have SEVERE FM. My daughter
    who is 31 has SEVERE FM. I do think
    they are related.
    Oh well, though of something else I wanted to post but dropped my Webtv
    keyboard and by the time I retrieved
    it I forgot what I wanted to say. DUH!!![This Message was Edited on 02/07/2004]
  15. WillieNAz

WillieNAz Member

My grandfather had polio and one of his legs was shrunken. My father complained of having spells. My sister and I have had seizures and her daughter has as well. My grandfather and father died of heart attacks and I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Like so many others I read about I had problems with statins. My son has complaints of fibromyalgia diagnosed by the VA. I walked around like I was an old man until I stopped taking them, and about 3 months later was all better. So it does seem that some nerve damage can be passed on as well as an L-Carnitine deficiency. This website seems to have good info on the matter:
    http://members.upnaway.com/~poliowa/Children of Polio Mothers.html
    http://members.upnaway.com/~poliowa/index.html <<<<<<<< main page