Anyone with a teen with panic attacks????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by star273, Aug 13, 2009.

1. star273

star273 New Member

I have a 14 year old girl. She has extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I too have them but as I have gotten older I have had them less and less. She feels like she is all alone and I was wondering if there is someone who could chat with her and share what they feel and do. Also what kind of medicine if any that your teen takes. She also has very mild ADD and takes Adderal. It seems to have helped alot during school. She went from struggling to straight A's last year. Please let me know if someone can help. Thanks so much
  2. DavidJ.

DavidJ. New Member

so does she also have cfs or what?
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I wanted to pass along some info to you....

It is possible that your daughter's symptoms are a result of tick borne illnesses such as a chronic bacterial infection "Borrelia burgdorferi" (lyme), bartonella and babesia.

It is common for teens to show ADD/ADHD symptoms with lyme and coinfections.

Does she have FMS or CFS?

Many, many people given those diagnoses later found out that the cause of their symptoms was the bacteria borrelia burgdorferi and associated coinfections.

Lyme and coinfections also commonly cause anxiety and panic attacks, along with many other possible symptoms.

Please read this paper by a Lyme expert......pages 9-11 contain a symptom list......pages 22-27 contain info about coinfections like bartonella, babesia and ehrlichia....

Remember that if a Dr has not been able to pinpoint the CAUSE of your daughter's symptoms, he is probably just giving her meds to cover up the symptoms.

I found out after 21 long years that my FMS, fatigue and insomnia (among other symptoms) were caused by Lyme and coinfections.

Less than 50% of people remember a tick bite or a rash....I don't.

99% of Dr's know aboslutely nothing about how to recognize, diagnose or treat chronic lyme and other tick borne infections.

I travel to see a Lyme literate MD.

Unfortunately, many people are told that they do not have lyme just because they had a "negative test"....then they are never properly diagnosed.

Dr's do not understand lyme testing and the methods are poor at best.

Lyme is never, never ruled out by just a negative test.

You can read more at and

If I can help you (it is possible that you could have the same infections) and your daughter, you can post for me on the Lyme board anytime.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

My daughter began having severe panic attacks in middle school, and she missed MUCH school because of it.

Her symptoms were classic and disabling. At her worst she could not walk across the room without feeling that her legs would give way. She would sometimes become so frightened and she questioned what on earth was going on with her. She would just say "mom, I don't know what's wrong with me....I just feel like I'm going to die".

The good news is they gradually grew less severe, though she is still capable of an attack. She is 26 now, has graduated from college and is now holding onto a job but is very challenged by insomnia (much like my own). She definitely also fits the profile for CFS but has managed so far, but life has been extremely satisfying for her.

Hopefully your daughter's attacks will also lessen or go away. Medication-wise I can't think of a good own daughter tried several anti-depressants which had negative side-effects for her. During her severest attacks she was given Xanax and while not an ANSWER, it was very helpful.
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Unfortunately one of the side effects of stimulant meds like Adderall is that they can precipitate and/or intensify panic attacks & anxiety. The medical solution for this is often an add-on SSRI, in addition to the stimulant.

My son was on the med merry-go-round with Adderall (also for very mild ADD) -- then needed Luvox (SSRI) for the stim-induced panic & anxiety; but then needed the Adderall bumped because the SSRI worked against the stimulant; then after the stim was increased the SSRI needed to be increased.

After several rounds of this, we saw overall behavior starting to deteriorate. At this point the prescribing doc (pediatrician) decided son was bipolar. We were shocked, & close family members who were medical professionals, people who knew our son well & had frequent contact, found this unbelievable. It was a false diagnosis.

Son had a number of qualified psychiatric assessments since then, & none have found evidence of bipolar. However WE were many thousands of dollars out of pocket, needing to do the psych assessments because our insurance was going to dump son (all coverage) due the ped's diagnosis. The "unusual symptoms" after several rounds of med bumps were, IMO, entirely due to being overmedicated.

Son is now 19; it's been 6 yrs. since the stim + SSRI fiasco, and there has been no recurrence of the aberrant behavior.

Son is off both meds, doing pretty well. What has helped? B vitamins & Nordic Naturals EPA fish oil. For anxiety, also magnesium, GABA & theanine supps & use of Alpha-Stim device when needed. Lots of exercise. Vitamin D. These gentle interventions have worked well for our son, with few side-effects.

Not sure whether this info will be useful to you. If your daughter really wants to connect with others her own age, perhaps a youth-oriented website, or if there are security concerns with that, perhaps a local support group for ADD might be a source for finding other ADD teens to talk to. Best wishes.
  6. dannybex

dannybex Member

She might be helped by reducing the sugar in her diet, and would definitely be helped by cutting out all artificial sweeteners like Nutrasweet, Aspartame, Sucralose, etc.

Also when some people cut out artificial COLORS and flavors, their ADD and anxiety goes way down.

I posted a double-blind study on anxiety and probiotics on the message board. It showed that probiotics helped reduce anxiety in patients with CFS. I don't see why they wouldn't be helpful for other people as well...???

Best regards,