ANyone with an abnormal pap had a colposcopy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, May 18, 2006.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I received a call from the nurse at my obgyn...seems my pap smear was abnormal and I have to have a colposcopy.

anyone had this?

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. Teerose

Teerose New Member

Meowchowchow,

I've had two coloposcopies for adnormal paps. I'm not sure of the infomation you need about a coloposcopy, but I will expain to you what I know about a coloposcopy.

Adnormal paps usual happen because of cell changes on the cervix, which can happen for many reasons.

After the cells from the cervix are viewed and adnormal shaped cells are seen, the docotor has to determine why the cells are adnormal.

More evaluation of the cervix is needed. The doctor used a special test (coloposcopy) to view the cervix.

The doctor use a special microscope to do this, he will use a vinegar solution on the cervix to make the cells on the cervix transparent and easy for the special microscope to detest.

If there are any transparent cells the doctor will bursh off or pinch off a small piece of the adnormal area to test and see if there is an infections present.

The coloposcopy is not really painful,you will be prep'ed like you are going to have a pap, you may cramp (like menstrual cramps) if the doctor has to remove a tiny sample of any adnormal area the microscope may show.

You may pass a little blood if he remove a sample from the cervix.

I hope this helps you, I don't know much more about a coloposcopy.

Teerose
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had one of these done years and years ago but I do remember it.

My doc warned me that it might feel like a bee sting, so I told him, "That's a heck of a place for a bee sting"!!!!

The other person who answered gave you some great information and I'm sure each person is different on the pain scale or how much tissue they're "pinching".

I just wanted to add that this is what I remember most. Oh and some cramping afterwards.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  4. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

In 2000 I had an abnormal pap and they did a colposcopy. I was pregnant at the time. There were abnormal cells present. After delivery they performed a thin prep pap and it came out fine. They said that pregnancy can make it appear like cells are abnormal. I was very afraid at first. The colposcopy was a little uncomfortable but not severe pain. You need this now?
  5. cathat31

cathat31 New Member

I also had a colposcopy if they do have to take pieces they usually put a numbing gel on or they did me, my ob even set it up where I could watch but I could not, for the pain it was not to bad just a little uncomfortable.
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I had severe cervical dysplasia when I was 23.

It was detected by abnormal pap - exocervical (outside the cervix) and endocervical (inside the cervix).

I had to have a procedure called conization (where a cone-shaped piece of tissue is surgically removed).

Take some Advil or Naproxen prior to the procedure.

The doctor will put a special stain (I think it is acetic acid based) on your cervix - it highlights the areas with abnormal cells so the doc knows where to take the biopsy samples from.

The areas that show up will determine how many biopsy samples the doctor takes.

I had, I think, about 6 samples removed. And for me, it was painful. You have to keep really still and it can be difficult.

I had several more post-surgery to be sure that they took out all the abnormal tissue.

The anti-inflammatory drugs definitely helped me - after the first time (when I nearly jumped off the table while they were trying to take a biopsy sample) I took Advil a couple of hours before the procedure and it did help reduce the pain.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  7. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I guess I'm just afriad. The nurse said my pap was on the "low" side of abnormal but the dr.s till wants to do the colposcopy. I'm afraid I'll have cervical cancer or something.

Meow
  8. donna275

donna275 New Member

Remember, these tests are preventive measures. There are 4 different types of dysplasia with the 4th being cancer. The nurse told you yours was on the low end of abnormal. It is scarey but be thankful if something is going wrong, they can catch it soon.

I had the same thing happen. After two abnormal paps, I had to have a colposcopy. It did pinch a little. The results were fine. My doctor is wonderful. He knew I was scared and he said don't worry, if there is something we won't let it get far to where it will be a danger. He said we'll take care of it.

I know I can say don't worry, but it is hard to listen to anyone. Try not to worry too much!

Donna
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I had one about 15 years ago for the same thing. Hardly felt a thing and the doctor removed the bad cells.

Every pap I have had since has been normal.

Don't be scared, it's pretty easy.

Sue in Ontario
  10. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

Not trying to be down or anything however due to my experience I am currently battleing some issues that I feel very strongly about in connection to this. It is of course something you should look into yourself.

I had cryosurgery (freezing of bad spots on the cervix) and well...for me it was one of the worst things. I was told minimal pain, take advil before. The biopsy was not as bad as the cryo but it was more than a little painful. The cryo was crazy! My whole body was shaking and sweating, I cramped like I never had before...it just plain hurt like hell! They never bothered to tell me that for 2 weeks after I would basiclly pee myself as my cervix thawed and sloughed off the dead cells.

They also lied to me when I asked was it completely necessary and would it in any way affect my fertility when the time came that I was ready to have children.

I've come to find out that most dysplaisa cells can be watched for a period of time and most will resolve themselves. The ones that dont' then warrent a surgical intervention but be aware that if you want children in the future it is very possible that it may be difficult. All of the surgeries done for this will remove or damage critical portions of the cervix which contain special channels that secret mucous vital to the life and transport of sperm to the awaiting egg. They can/will also cause scar tissue to form on the cervix that if you do concive will have to be broken if your cervix ever hopes to dialate. And there is a increased change of incompitent (sp) cervix (cervix is to weak, thin to hold the pregnancy in and may have to be tacked together)

I'm not in anyway saying you will be infertil or to not do it. I just know that for me knowing now that my cells were very low grade and that my surg (among a few other semi related things)I would have gone a more watch and see paht as it has made it difficult for me to concive. I have had one child (after 4 years of trying) and I am now almost 3 years later and unable as of yet to concive.

I know that some are iffy about us having children and all (I have my opinion on that as we all do). To me having children was/IS very important. The info I have recently discovered in reguards to this has only increased my ?distane for docs at the moment.

That's MY story.

Good luck!
    Amy
  11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had an abnormal result on my pap in 1987. I had a colposcopy which showed severe dysplasia. (Not cancer) They did a procedure called a cone biopsy (now I believe it's called a LEEP procedure), which removed the area from the cervix. I did have a general anaesthetic for this. My younger sister also had one done earlier this year.

Honestly, my periods were worse than those procedures. Nothing to worry about. My Mom picked me up after the biopsy and took me shopping! Can't hold that woman down even now. She's 80 and still dragging me shopping.

Regards,

Eileen
  12. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

With today's procedures, you can have successful surgery on your cervix and still have children.

If a lot of tissue has to be removed, which may make the cervix "incompetent", meaning it dilates prematurely as a baby gets bigger - there is a procedure called a "circlage" or purse-string that it done at about 12 weeks gestation which stays in and holds your cervix closed until it is safe for you to deliver.

I had a LEEP procedure, which is lower risk for incompetent cervix. My best friend had cryosurgery, and has had two successful pregnancies with two beautiful children thanks to the "Purse-String" procedure.

The reason for colposcopy after an abnormal pap is so that your GYN can figure out where and how much of the cervix is involved so they can treat you properly.

I had Stage 3, which was quite serious, both inside and outside the cervix and I literally didn't know when I went under anesthesia whether I would wake up with any of my reproductive organs intact because if they found cancer, they were going to take the whole thing - it depended on the pathology results analyzed during the surgery itself.

However that being said, I went on to have two kids myself. Getting pregnant with the first one took a year. Getting pregnant with the second one took a month!

Don't be afraid to find out what's going on. Once you know what stage the cells are and how much of the cervix is involved, you can do research and find out what the best options are for your treatment.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[ advertisement ]