Anyone with asthma take a flu shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Oct 21, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have mild bronchial asthma and I just had a 1/2 dose of the flu shot---BUT, now I have a hugh headache--feels like my head is bursting--for two days now.

I'm wondering, since I have CFS if the flu shot doesn't make my immune system worse. When the doctor did my immunity studies this past year--it said I didn't show any immnuity toward influenza. Funny, as I took a 1/2 dose last year.

When I was younger, even while raising my own children and teaching preschoolers I never took the flu shot and I can't remember but having the flu once or twice in my life.

I really wonder what is worse?

Anyone else have this dilema?

T
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I just got my flu shot on Thursday -- no problems at all!!

My daughter has asthma, and is also a physician, and she always gets the flu shot.

You just have to make sure that you are not allergic to any of the things that they ask you about--whatever is in the shot this year, etc. It's normally eggs, chickens, etc.

Janet
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I got it, and I'm supposed to have asthma, but nobody really knows. I've had 4 different asthma diagnoses.

That being said, this past year I didn't have any trouble from the flu shot at all. I think last year's reaction was only because it was the first one I'd ever had.

My doctor's office makes anyone with asthma get the flu shot.
  4. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I do have asthma but I will not be receiving the flue shot this year. I have had trouble whith my immune system being low. So my doctor said I should not get the flu shot. She said a lot of time they are week batches that she are sent out (watered down is what I think she said) she said that would just break my immune system down and prob. cause me to get sick.

So no flu shot for me I have been sick a lot lately dont' want to be sick again if I can help it.

Angie
  5. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

i also have asthma ,,i`m always sick and have lots of allergy`s and NO! i will not have the flu shot ,,gmom,,
  6. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

well, the flu shot could inflame symptoms, or give you side effects that seem like the flu, or CFS.

but it doesn't really give you the flu. the virus isn't active in most shots, and the ones that they do keep active are too weak to do anything.

my doctor warned me that i could have some side effects from it, mostly inflamation of my FMS and CFS symptoms.

i'd thinkt hat getting the actual flu would be ALOT worse. it's brutal for people with CFS and FMS. i know that I have trouble getting through ANY virus, let alone something like the flu.
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Well, I have been sick all weekend from 1/2 of a flu shot and I'm not going back for the second half.

I was in the ER to check out my headaches--wanted a CT scan--and the head and sinus was OK--however, I was definately have a flu reaction.

So, I now feel fatigued, dragged out and sick just as if I had the flu. My mother had the entire shot the same day (she's 82) and she is now in the hospital.

I think (at least for me) with CFS is that I'll not take the shots and practice safety health measures during the peak season. I work at home, so that helps!

And yes, I did get a little sick last year with the vaccine, but not as bad as this year. I guess a different strain.

What I thought was unreal, both the ER doctor and all the ER nurses said they were not going to take the vaccine. Now, go figure this out!!!!

Tania

[ advertisement ]