Anyone With CFIDS and Night Sweats

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by adberens, Dec 14, 2005.

1. adberens

adberens New Member

When I got sick 10 years ago at 35 I developed night sweats. The doctors can not come up with a reason for it. It is a pain. I wake up shaking cold and soaking wet and the bed is soaked too. Needless to say, my husband is less than impressed with this. It does not happen every night but seems to come and go. I have read somewhere that this is a symptom of CFIDS but have not talked to anyone that has it. I was just curious if any one has any remedies.
  2. cad123

cad123 New Member

Hi, I have night sweats, not sure if its this or my crazy hormones, but I have found it better to sleep with cotton sheets and blankets and have a fan nearby. Unfortunately, for my husband also, nothing can really stop the problem, but hopefully you can get more comfortable.
  3. Gly

Gly New Member

I have fibromyalgia. Night sweats were my first real problem. Natural progesterone cream is the only thing I've found that helps but it takes 2-4 weeks for it to take full effect. I've tried stopping the progesterone 3 times and the sweats just build up again.

I've tried Effexor which made them worse and Premarin (synthetic estrogen) which helped but caused too many side effects for me.

Mine were so severe that there's no way anyone could sleep in the same bed with me. I have to change from one side of the bed to the other and sometimes go to the guest room when both sides were too damp and cold to sleep on. I slept with a towel on my pillow and another towel between my knees. At the worst point I slept in a cotton terry robe on top of terry towels to soak up the sweat.

I was in a daze all the time from lack of sleep and had to explain my lack of ability to follow directions to my employer. Fortunately I worked with middle-aged women who were very understanding. This was in my early 40s.
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have them 24/7. I stay extremely hot. I sweat with minimum movement.This was one of my first symtoms. I'm looking for an answer to this. It's making life even more unbearable.
  5. justonemoreday

justonemoreday New Member

i sweat too, usually in the morning and it lasts for hours I go to work and i'm dripping for hours. doesn't happen all the time. sometimes i notice i am all red sometimes on days when i didn't sweat. doesn't happen alll the time though. i use cotton too anything else is tooo hot.

my2cents
  6. lcaldwell

lcaldwell New Member

Hello

I am only 34 and I also suffer from the sweats. I became ill 7 years ago this Christmas (yes I became ill on Christmas morning). I used to be an extremely "coldblooded" person. My family would tease me because I always wore a sweater or coat indoors. Now I am hot ALL of the time. I have wondered if I am going through perimenopause. I have endometriosis and am on Depo-Provera. But I had the sweats before this.

I think it is a part of the illness. We just have to wait on the research.

Take care and stay cool!
  7. cupimick

cupimick Member

You are not alone , I too am suffering with not only the pain from this dd but now these night sweats which I didn't realize what it was at first.

It seem to start when I got sick with this disease 4 yrs. Last night I changed twice and it is so uncomfortable. I am freezing cold and soaked head to toe. My hubby says I throw alot of heat off my body so its all related somehow to this autoimmune and maybe it affects our hormones. I just wish they would stop. We just can't get a break with this dd.

Deanna
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

I'm waaaaay past menopause (almost 71) and, thanks to CFIDS, I still have to deal with night sweats. It's a wonder I haven't caught pneumonia or something 'cause I often have to turn on a fan, even in the dead of winter, in order to sleep; and, I'm forever kicking off blankets.
  9. AnnG

AnnG New Member

that night sweats were tied into all this. I just gave blood to have my hormones checked and they came back normal. I was very disappointed as I want an answer. OK, I want an easy answer.
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

When I exert any energy my face gets red and my head is soaked. It seems like the sweats are localized to my head most of the time.

At night, my pillow sometimes becomes really soaked and then stained. This has happened for a long time, and at first I thought it was hot flashes. Now, I know that it's because of the FMS or CFS.

It's interesting to read everyone's experiences with this. Helps me to put what is going on with me in perspective. Thanks for starting this thread!

Jeannette

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You should have your hormones checked, you may be in perimenopause which can cause night sweats.

Another possibility is that you are fighting an infection. When I get sick, I generally don't get a fever but instead I will have night sweats, which stop when I get over being sick. (although a few days ago I ran a fever for the first time in several years - I'm fighting the flu - anyways, I hoped it was a sign that my immune system is starting to work properly, but who knows)

Mary
  12. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, Have you had your adrenal glands checked? I had mine checked and it causes chronic fatigue, problems with blood pressure (low in my case), intolerance to heat and cold. Could be an infection and/or low blood pressure. I know when I get an infection and this year has been terrible with my sinuses I had a bad intolerance to cold. I was afraid to leave the house in case I got a chill that I couldnt get over. I have Addison's disease (which is adrenal gland exhaustion) Im on 25 mg of cortef a day. Not many doctors test the adrenals. I live in Canada and went to 10 doctors the first year I was sick and none tested my adrenal glands. I went to the states and they tested me there. They usually check the normally stuff like thyroid, diabetes, etc. Not all doctors seem to be willing or have the time to check other problems off the regular sheet of diseases to verify. I had the HHV6 virus and got checked after 18 months on biaxin and the virus went dormant, thank goodness. Good luck.
  13. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Make sure its not a side effect of any meds your on. At the start of the year i strated getting really bad night sweats and at first i thought i was herxing (cause of antibiotics)and then i thought it was just the CFS (have had them before frome CFS but never evry night) but now have only just figured out its because of my antidepressants, now that ive changed the dose theyre starting to get better.xx
  14. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I developed night sweats several years into my CFS (which I did not then realize that I had) and in my 40s, so I blamed it on perimenopause. I did find that soy and red clover helped some and that I did not tolerate black cohash, which is the most highly recommended supplement for hot flashes/night sweats. No one who does not tolerate asperin should take black cohash.

I experienced only brief, moderate day-time hot flashes at menopause, but the night sweats continue. I now think they are related to the CFS. I have found that my electric matress pad, which I got because I am "cold-blooded", also reduces the night sweats. My body seems to be willing to turn over tempurature regulation to the matress pad. I have wondered it the moderate night sweats that do still sometimes occur are related to my body dealing with infections and/or toxins.
  15. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I sweat all the time. I sweat from just being in the upright position. I sweat while I sleep but not as badly as you ladies. It started not long after I became ill. Intersting that I'm not the only one. I had no idea others had this too.