Anyone With Chronic Gastritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have had bouts before but this one is lasting over two months now. I do not have h-pylori--been checked recently.

Taking either Prilosec or Prevacid--and using some carafate. I don't know why it won't go away. Is there something with the Fibro/CFS?

I don't take pain meds so it isn't from that.

Any advise--what do you all do to ease the buring pain. Since I had my gallbladder out last year I think it could be bile reflux.

2. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

suffer from the same thing, and it's not fun, is it? I take prevacid solutabs (rx) and they help a great deal. Also, try and stay away from anything that aggravates it (for me, cheesecake, oh how I loooove it, and how it hates me). It feels like your gut is trying to eat itself, and the noises from all of the gurgling is often embarrasing. I just spent three days curled up into a ball with a gastritis attack, so it's kind of odd that you should post. Hopefully you'll get more help than I've been, just wanted to say I know how you feel and it stinks!
    Hoping you feel better,
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Do you get these flares often? I had my GB out last summer, but I did have gastritis flares even before that.

And I wonder after the gallbladder came out if the bile goes into our stomachs and cause the inflammation?

My GI doctor just called and said to take Carafate (which coats the stomach) for a week and see if this doesn't help the flare go away. There is a fine line whether I have too much acid or not enough---and if it is acid or the bile. I heard bile reflux is worse than GERD.

It's funny when I asked her what to eat--she says anything I want--I couldn't believe my ears--as I heard eating acidic foods would cause the gastritis to get worse.

Thanks for your info--I will sure take your advice about the small meals and yogurt.

4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

If you read my last post--these GI doctors are not that sympathetic--I wonder if they have had an attack of gastritis?

Do you get them periodically?

I researched gastritis and the main culprits of getting an attack are taking NSAIDS (anti-inflammatory meds), h-pylori infection, bile reflux, and stress.

Now I know I have stress (the kind that I can't relax, no matter how hard I try---too type A!)

I'll try this Carafate (it's a benign type medicine) for a week to see if it helps.

I love when she says don't focus on my ailment--easy for the doctor to say! LOL

5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I know someone with gastritis...she is only 26 and has had it for about 8 years....she drinks like a fish.....daily and the weekends are unbeleivable! She parties all night long! So, what is the effect of alcohol on the gastritis?
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

and all was OK--biopsy said I have chronic gastritis. I think I have some sort of inflammatory condition (maybe like an autoimmune thing) although blood tests for inflammation like SED rate, ANA, and C-reactive proteins are all normal. And yet, I get inflammation type symptoms in my skin, costo chondritis (ribs) all the time, and my joints in my fingers get inflamed and hurt.

7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Drinking alcohol is one of the causes of gastritis. Gastritis is when the lining of the stomach gets inflamed.
  8. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

Yes, I get them often, and often they do last for several months. I shouldn't jinx myself but have noticed that in the last three months mine wasn't so bad, but then got hit with a bad attack last week, and the burning is still there. I absolutely cannot take any NSAIDS, anytime I get an RX for them (muscle inflammation) I fill it but don't take them, they tear me up too bad. No, the GI docs are not sympathetic, I find the nurse practioners are much more sympathetic and thourough. If you don't have a polyp or a tumor then it's no big deal, even if you do feel as though you're dying! I don't drink any alcohol, I do drink some coffee (enough to wake me up) and try to lay off anything that might aggravate it, but stress is a major factor, and like you, I have plenty that I can't escape! Sigh...I've never tried the med you're now taking, but I hope it helps! Aside from the prevacid I take, I'll often take pepto bismol tablets, (can't stand the liquid) and it helps the burning also. I have GERD and a hiatal hernia as well, but GI doc acts as if that's no big deal either, even though it limits what I'm able to eat!
    Well, I hope we both feel better soon, along with our fellow sufferers!
  9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi Tania.

Dr. William Stuppy in Los Angeles, who is board-certified in (I think) four specialties, including gastroenterology, has used instrumentation on several PWCs in which he has documented bile reflux. I don't know if you are anywhere near Los Angeles, but he might be a doctor to consider, because he has treated CFS cases in which this is involved.

Best regards,

10. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Wish I was close, but I'm in Florida. Just had an ultrasound done, and everything in the gallbladder area seems to be in tact since the surgery. It doesn't mean that I don't produce too much bile and it irritates the stomach.

Going to a integrative doctor now, who believes in DGL and even using Pepto Bismol to coat the stomach and the bismuth kills off any bad bugs. Trying to de-stress, which has helped a bit--but stress never truly goes away in life.

I think bile reflux is a gray area that most GI doctors don't consider, especially after GB surgery.

11. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Is there any chance that your estrogen level is low?

My docs say I'm one in a million -- however my chronic gastritis w/acid reflux that was unresponsive to PPIs healed itself when I started topical estrogen replacement, a Bi-est formula.

Whenever I cut back on it, the gastritis comes back.

There are many meds & even supps that can contribute to gastritis. Fish oils, certain botanicals. Anything that has potential to thin the blood.

Bisphosphonates & osteoporosis meds are notoriously hard on the gut.

If the problem is bile reflux & you're taking PPIs, you could be setting up a rather unnatural environment in your stomach -- normally an acidic low pH, but if you add alkaline bile to a PPI acid-inhibited gut, things get screwed up.

One self-test on the bile might be to compare your pain with very lowfat meals to pain with very highfat meals. More fat calls out more bile troops ...

Best wishes.
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've had this off & on for several years, but these last few years, it has become severe. So was tested & came up as gluten intolerant...........whatta crappy diet that is. But if I touch "anything" that falls under that category, I suffer (e.g. wheat, grains, sugar, etc., etc.).

Stress is one of the other major triggers, so I avoid toxic people at all cost. I'm now retired, so have that option.

I have no apetite at night, and interestingly have found that there's a "potato vodka" that will calm my stomach, elevate my mood, and increase my apetite. Because it's not a "grain", and I monitor the amount it helps, but that's just me.

I also use a homeopathic remedy called Acidil (health food stores) if I've eaten any protein which is acidic. And there's another remedy by Heel/BHI called "Stomach" that soothes it as well. I also take small amounts of Aloe Vera Juice.

I'm allergic to so many foods that finding the ones that trigger you is a difficult trial 'n error one, but, for instance, I knew I was allergic to chicken & eggs years ago, and the list has elevated the older I get. Not fun!!! And alot of self monitoring.

Good luck.