Anyone with diaphragm spasms not like hiccups

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by fmnsc, Jul 5, 2006.

1. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

Just wondering if anyone has gone through spells of having intense spasms of the diaphragm. They are unlike having hiccups.

I went through a spell with this about 1 1/2 years ago, but they were associated with a side effect of Neurontin. Gradually went off the Neurontin, and the spasms ceased.

The spasms started again this past Saturday. I initially blamed it on overdoing it by pulling weeds in the flower bed, but today is Wednesday, and they're still going strong.
    There have been no changes in medications recently.

The spasms are not constant, but continue throughtout the day. I even have them in my sleep. Not only are they annoying, but embarrasing.

Any information would be appreciated.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2006]
  2. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady New Member

I don"t know if mine are the same but .I have spasms so bad i feel like I can"t breath, all around my middle. when i belch it helps and they let up ,but can be so uncomfortable.
    It helps if I get up and walk around, hope you can find some relief. hugs sixtyslady
  4. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

Thanks for your reply. Through research on the internet, I have found they can also be associated with low magnesium levels.

Hope you are feeling ok. Have a good weekend.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  5. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

They are very strong spasms in the middle of my diaphragam. It's like someone hitting you in the stomach(but without the pain), and having your breath almost taken away.

I have had bouts of pain in my diaphragm and hurting to breathe, but this is very different. Just can't figure this one out, and I have had them since last Saturday.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  6. Line

Line New Member

I get a quivering sensation in my stomach and sometimes feels like it goes up my sternum into my throat, not pain but quite annoying. Have had them for 6 weeks stright, continously. But I also get a feeling like your diaphram is on a rubber band and is pulled out and left go. It is hard to describe but what is not with fm.

Hugs, Linda
  7. fmnsc

fmnsc New Member

Thanks for your input. This feels different from what you have described. The spasms are like the feeling of going to throw up, and having the dry heaves. They are so intense it even shrugs my shoulders. After doing research about the magnesium, I have started on those supplements. Hopefully it will help.
    Take care, and thanks again.