anyone with experience with trazodone or serezone for sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibolady, Apr 21, 2003.

1. fibolady

fibolady New Member

good and bad experiences and any long term side effect.

fibolady
  2. marta

marta New Member

Trazadone was the first help I got with sleep. 25 mgs at bedtime was enough for a year, then my system got used to it and I was told to increase it to 50 mgs. The doctor said to take it early in the evening if I found myself groggy in the morning. It did cause my eyes and mouth to become very dry.

Oddly enough, 50 mgs didn't work better than 25 but after two years on the drug, I began having major constipation from it. (Meds that cause dry mouth and eyes usually cause constipation, I've learned.) NOTHING helped, no amount of fiber, roughage, psyllium. I even got worried about a blockage of some sort and had a colonoscopy to check it out. Finally I switched to Ambien because of that side effect. Now that I want to get off Ambien I may go back to it for a short time.

Since it's an antidepressant it's very important to taper off of it - as I found out when I didn't! I won't make tht mistake again.

I couldn't tolerate Serezone.

Marta
  3. scoobydoo

scoobydoo New Member

I've never tried Trazodone so no help there. But I have tried Serzone and it was a horrible experience. It caused round the clock dizziness. Everytime I moved my head I felt as though I would vomit. It was like I had no equilibrium. Thats just my experience everyone handles meds dif. so others may have been able to take it.

I couldn't handle it at all!! :(

Hope this helps!! :)

Scooby
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

I also have been taking Trazadone for many years, there was no increase over this period of time in the dosis, am still on 100mg. For me it has been great for sleep and I ususally sleep 7 to 8 hrs. without waking.
    Hope you find something which will help you as well. Lucky
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I take 150 mgs. of Trazadone for sleep and it
    works great for me. I do not feel any left over
    effects the next morning. My cousin, an RN, told
    me that the top dose is like 600mgs. for certain
    patients, but this dose of 150mgs. works fine for me. Hope this helps. Hugs, Bambi
  6. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I would not recommend Serzone. I took it for a year at a low dose and was so tired all the time and lightheaded, dizzy. Then the Dr. advised me to stop taking it because there was a "black box" warning on it. A lot of people died from taking it not realizing the damage it did to their liver. I had to wean off it gradually, but am finally glad I am not on it anymore. I take Klonopin (Clonazapam) when I can't sleep and it works great for me.

Love, Harmony
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

I couldn't function with similar anti-depressants so my doc thought this would be safer, it is thought to produce fewer unwanted side effects.

My sleep was a bit better but to get the dose high enough to make any real difference just slowed my brain down during the day. Added to all the other brain and cognitive problems it made life near impossible.

However, I am aware this drug has helped many others and doctors are happier prescribing this medication than most others for long term sleep problems.

I think, that as with so many possible treatments, you will just have to try whichever you think will work best with your particular problems.

I often find researching how a drug works and its most common side effects do help me make better decisions, I know my own body and how it reacts to things.

Good luck

Tansy
  8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I just got done trying it out. Made it a little over 3 weeks and gave up. I was more tired, but didn't get any quality sleep. Then made it difficult to function the next morning. As a working person, I just didn't have any more time to see if it would work.
  9. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I was on Ambien but I got to where I just could NOT sleep without it so the dr. wanted me to try Trazedone. At first, I didn't like it but after about 4-5 days, I slept fine with it and have had a few nights where I didn't have to take it. I haven't had the dry mouth side effect yet and am usually not too groggy in the mornings. Weight gain isn't supposed to be a side effect of this but I'm not sure about that. Sometimes I feel excessivly hungry and I have gained a couple of pounds since being on it. Don't know though if the Trazedone is causing it.
  10. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I must be on Trazadone for atleast 10+yrs..Yes, it does help me.. I started with 100mg in the very beginning, but thought it was too much..Have been on 50mg ever since and for the most part it does work..I have dr. permission to take 100mg if I feel I need it, but I try to avoid it, because I also take a xanax along with it at bedtime..And after all these years of Trazadone, I never felt like I really needed more of it..Same goes with my xanax, been taking it for 11yrs straight, same dosage, and never felt like I had to up the dosage..
    I'm not sure (don't remember I should say), but I think I put on a few pounds when I started Trazadone, but nothing to worry about........
    Best of Luck.......Take Care........Donna
  11. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i think i will not try the serzone, seems the trazodone is safer and i certainly don't need to be more tired the next day!

thanks everyone,
    fibolady
  12. Aisling13

Aisling13 New Member

I tried a lot of things to sleep. One morning I woke up sitting on a heat register with my head resting on the wall in front of me with a mouth full of potato chips? I don't normally eat chips. The meds made me hungry and I would eat all night and not remember. My husband did not like the choco coved peanuts all over the bed my hands and my face. Now I take Melatonin. It really does help if I get right into bed. I occasonally take ambien and make my husband promise not to wake me up. It is a hypnotic and you will not remember what you did and you won't know what you are saying. It is a scary feeling. I hesitate to take it because if there were a fire I don't think I would wake up and know what to do. Klonapan doesn't help me sleep. I actually take .05 mg before I take the melatonin. It relaxes me but not enough to sleep.
  13. Aisling13

Aisling13 New Member

I tried a lot of things to sleep. One morning I woke up sitting on a heat register with my head resting on the wall in front of me with a mouth full of potato chips? I don't normally eat chips. The meds made me hungry and I would eat all night and not remember. My husband did not like the choco coved peanuts all over the bed my hands and my face. Now I take Melatonin. It really does help if I get right into bed. I occasonally take ambien and make my husband promise not to wake me up. It is a hypnotic and you will not remember what you did and you won't know what you are saying. It is a scary feeling. I hesitate to take it because if there were a fire I don't think I would wake up and know what to do. Klonapan doesn't help me sleep. I actually take .05 mg before I take the melatonin. It relaxes me but not enough to sleep.
  14. lmn

lmn New Member

i have been using trazadone for about 3 years. i started at 100mg. but my dr. tapered the dose to 50mg. because it pretty much wiped me out. i sleep well with the 50mg., however i always feel hung over, and i have gained quite a bit of weight. i will be switching to a new sleep aid in august, after my body adjusts to something else i'm changing. hope you have good luck with it.
    lmn
  15. amirleah

amirleah New Member

I too was on a Dr. prescribe sleep aid. Do a search on Magnesium and Chronic Fatigue.

I take two magnesium pills and sleep like a baby. I also talked to a very wise "compound-pharmacist", he is very up-to-date on FMS/CFS. He talked about magnesium for sleep.

I also use a compound that I rumb on my thyroid gland(on the neck) it gives me the energy that I need. Serious! I could not get out of bed for lack of energy.

Hope that helps!

16. ReallyTired

ReallyTired New Member

Stay away from Serzone, it's bad stuff. It made me whacky and sicker! ...and is not recommended by "Worst Pills, Good Pills" newsletter. I'm taking 125mg of Trazadone and it helps me sleep. You will feel groggy in the morning but will start to recover from that within a few weeks.

Much luck to you.

Reallytired...

[ advertisement ]