Anyone with Fibro have Brain Lesion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rigdon007, Nov 10, 2005.

1. rigdon007

rigdon007 New Member

I was told I had Fibro some 12 yrs ago but no dr would really do anything for me. In July, getting worse symptoms, they did an MRI which showed 3 small brain lesions. Dr first thought MS, too young for stroke (47 yr per dr) and poss migraines (which I had in my mid 20's). Now he says he does not think my muscle reactions (or lack of I guess, hitting me with hammer)is MS related. Am I back to Fibro and do others have lesions too?

2. arizonasunshine

arizonasunshine New Member

Hi!
    I have had numerous MRI's and have five brain lesions but clear spinal taps and no other lesions anywhere on my spine.

My Neuro thought at first I had MS because of the symptoms but he said the lesions are not typical of MS.

I asked what caused them and he said mini strokes possibly and some may be caused by normal age process. Well; I am 57 but I don't think of it as old!

I am mostly under warranty with a few parts missing but nothing I can't live without!

I will have a brain MRI done once a year to check for changes in the lesions to see if they are active or not. Mine are just sleeping I guess.

I tease my husband and told him whenever he bugs me I get another lesion!!

Azsunshine aka Janie
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Here's a discussion going on right now on a lyme forum that I just read today:

I also have multiple white matter lesions (11), some up to 5mm. Their characteristics and location, however, are more typical of Lyme than MS. I also have abnormal evoked potentials. My neurologist believes I have MS. However, because I had a history of tick bite with EM rash, I sought out an LLMD and refused further treatment with him. All he would do to test me for Lyme was a Quest ELISA, which was negative. He refused to let me do an Igenex test.

A subsequent IGeneX blot thru my LLMD was way positive with six bands, some double and triple, so I felt pretty confident I didn't have MS.

Also, a screaming headache for a coupla years is RARELY the chief complaint in people presenting with MS, though it is very commonly the chief complaint of people presenting with neuroborreliosis.

I would trust my LLMD (lyme literate MD)
    -----------------------------------------
    Some believe MS and Lyme are the same disease. If true the treatment for lyme should prevail because the treatment for MS (steroids) reduces the immune system function to fight the symptoms, ultimately harming the patient's immune system. The treatment for lyme (antibiotics) goes to treat the infection, itself. Many LLMDs want their patients to do things such as eat properly and excercise to improve their immune systems.
    There was a recent post with an article stating that some MS is being treated successful with abx. THe article kind of hints that MS might just be Lyme but more testing is needed.

I believe that these diseases with no known cause i.e. ALzheimers, ALS, Parkinsons, MS, Lupus, are all caused by pathogens could be spirochettes, mycoplasmas, or viruses.
    I have Lyme with MS like symptoms. I have white matter lesions, CDC Positive western blot. We are treating the Lyme with antibiotics and I am improving - slowly - but improving.
    I was dxd MS 17 years ago in 1988. Never did so called MS treatment since MS is a symptom that they named a disease after. You know...multiple sclerosis, multiple lesions.

I always believed that my immune system must be reacting to a pathogen. Why else would my immune system suddenly at the age of 25, go haywire and supposedly attack my body?

Finally found a LLMD in 2003 who did the proper lyme test. I tested positive for lyme with Igenex WB. I only do the lyme treatment and doing very good.

I say I have Lyme INDUCED MS. My body has the MS response to Lyme.

Remember treat the cause, cure the MS.

4. auntcon

auntcon New Member

I've read that some people feel that MS and Fibro are connected because both have brain lesions. The fibro people's lesions are smaller and not like the ms ones.
    you might try to google the topic to do some research.
    (I don't remember where I read that sorry)
    Connie
  5. skymage

skymage New Member

Yeah I have 4 or 5 can't remember... fibro fog I guess. They said it was probably migraines as all my MS tests came back negative. I think it's the fibro.

Skymage
  6. darude

darude New Member

I have 40 lesions and a large lesion in the pituitary gland, neuro said normal course of aging I am 54!!!!!Mine started withe an excruiating headache that lasted for three months! Rhuemy tested for Lyme and said no butI will do further testing.
  7. darude

darude New Member

On here and you will see lots of us have them. I should mention my lesions are very tiny exvept for the one in pituitary which is 7mm.
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Jennie: Your welcome! I wish all those with diagnosis of MS, Lupus, FM, CFS, ALS and any other unexplained symptoms would rule out lyme before giving into a syndrome with no cure. I would still be living with my FM/CFS and no hope if I hadn't gone further.

Darude: Did you have the Elisa or Western Blot through Igenex?

Sandy
  9. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Your post sounds a lot likie what I went through.

When I first became ill, and did not know what was wrong with me, I had a series of tests, including an MRI and muslce reactions and hearing scans and eye movement tests, which showed brain lesions and which the neurologist said COULD be MS. As I had a friend with the condition, I was terrified.

He also said that since he did not know what I was like before I had the tests that he would not say anything definite at that state. It was over 2 years before he concluded that I probably did not have MS because of the lack of changes to the test results and scans during those two years. Sometimes they have to wait a while between tests to see what, if anything, develops further. Your doc. might want to do further tests in a year or so for comparison purposes.

At the time, I was so relieved that I did not have MS that I was almost grateful for a FM/CFS diagnosis - I guess I still am.

I also have a history of migranes.

I would also suggest that, if you have not done it yet, that you obtain a copy of any scans, reports, etc. for your own file and keep your own records of every result. If you have to, even be a bit pushy if a clinic or lab. does not want to issue you a copy: perhaps your doc. will get them for you.
  10. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Sound like you went through the similar thing I went through. I am 23 years old. I have problem with symptoms three years after gave a birth to my daughter.. I used to have vetigo, feel like giong pass out, and was exhaust all the times when before my pregnancy. I did had a lot of headaches like shock feeling and suffers ear ringing. But after my pregnancy, boy, my symptoms become numberous to different things. So they gave me mri, which reveals I have two small lesions in white matter. But since they are small, they are not worry about it. They said they are not even related to my symptoms. I had scared that there were possible ms for me but... Now I am relax little bit cuz They aren't really active now. I glad you posted this cuz this was still puzzle me. So far they only diagnoised me with FM, nothing elses... I just don't have any right dr to listen.
  11. cwilson

cwilson New Member

I have a couple Lesions too.
    But, the say they are from Migraines.(Over 10 years worth!)
    But the most recent Neurologist said that I have tension headaches not migraines. UGHH!
    I want to see the first Neurologist that I saw but he's not accepting new pt's.
    Am I still a new pt. because he only seen me once?
    My symptoms have gotten worse after I had my daughter 4 years ago. And I have been pushing my Docs to put a name to what's wrong.
    The Brain Lesions really scare me! Because when I was 16 years old My Aunt Lavern (Father's Side)passed away With Brain Cancer.
    (btw I'm Now 26)
    And in 2001 or 2002 My Aunt Rita (Mother's Side)Was Told that she does not Have MS She has ACM 1 (Arnold Chiari Malformation)and Fibro.
    Not to mention all The other Family History Problems.
    I'm Cursed on Both Sides.Talk about Family Love.(HA!HA!)
    I was given An MRI 4 years ago. But No Follow up was done until I received a copy of my medical records and Demanded another MRI. I should have had one repeated 6 months after the first one. Still waiting on the results of the second. I should find out 11/15/05.
    Sorry so long but my Brain is somewhat working today.(HA!HA!)
    Bye,
    Carmen
  12. darude

darude New Member

Have anotheer one in January and will be interesting to see what is happening with the lesions.
  13. ida01

ida01 New Member

I was told that after My Mri of the brain. That I have
    lesions, so I had to have a spinal tap after that.
    Nothing became of the Mri but will have to have another
    one done in time to see if anymore show up.
    Take Care ida01
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2005]