Anyone with fibro undergoing hysterectomy and bladder repair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by octobermarriage, Feb 23, 2006.

1. octobermarriage

octobermarriage New Member

I am the mother of three children and 40 years old. Recently I finally made the step to consult my gynocologist about a possible hysterectomy. All of us know that many days we chalk up pain to our "condition" with CFS or Fibro. Well I have done that for the last two years. My question is how is such an invasive procedure going to affect my problems and pain with the fibro?

I am concerned that I won't bounce back like most women do after this common procedure. I have been told by my doctor's that it is necessary for me to undergo both procedures and they should be done together not at seperate times.

If anyone could give me their insight or experience with the recuperation and the domino effect regards to the fibro.

I do spend lots of time on the heating pad and hope once these procedures are performed that I can retire the heating pad.

2. suzie1021

suzie1021 New Member

I had a complete hysterectomy and bladder lift (proplapsed bladder) last March. Yes, both procedures need to be done at the same time. I have had fibromyalgia for several years. Interestingly enough, after the surgery and during my recovery period I experienced far less (if any) pain with my fibro problem! In fact, I thought that miraculously it could be gone! I have a feeling it was probably due to the medication I was on (including pain medication)! However,a few months after the surgery the fibro came back to the same degree I had been experiencing before the surgery. If you have any questions regarding your upcoming surgery please feel free to write back to me and I will glady answer anything you need to know.
  3. mariee

mariee Member

Hi there,
    It was a year ago at this time that my MD notified me that I needed a hysterectomy.
    I had a TAH so the big incision....
    Recovery was long...but my FM did not seem to flare. My surgeon made sure pain meds were ordered. They did help. My surgeon was willing to keep me on the pain meds for up to a year. So make sure your surgeon understands FM.
    It was crucial for me to follow docs orders on recovery.
    There is a great website for those going through hysterectomies. Do a web search on "hystersisters".
    They will give you info on types of hysterectomies, things to prepare for, things to help you w. afterwards. They saved my sanity. Lots of women there have FM, too.
    Hope this helps.
    Keep us posted.
    Love
    Mariee
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and bladder repair in 1982. This was the easiest surgery that I had ever had, because there was no incision externally to hear. However, you feel so good that you have to remember that major surgery was still done!!

I have had fibro and lupus all my life (since I was a child). I maybe hurt a little more because I had to sit and lie down so much to rest--it made me a little more stiff and achy.

But overall, the surgery was well worth it! I'm so glad that I had it!

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

October,
    I had a partial vaginal hysterectomy and a bladder tacked back up back in 1992. That was prior to FMS. I wasn't in pain except for the packing they used. Once the packing was out, I didn't need any pain meds.

I feel 100% better from having that surgery and not sitting on my bladder anymore. I did get the stress incontinence back after 6 months, though.

Because of diabetes I had a problem from the bladder surgery, but it all ended up okay after a month and seeing a urologist. If you have any bladder problems please see a urologist and not mess around for weeks with an OB/GYN.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye