Anyone with Fibromyalgia and scoliosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Cakedec, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

Is there anyone who is dealing with fibromyalgia and scoliosis together? I have had double scoliosis since my teens and fibro for 10 years (I'm 46)and lots of times it is hard to tell which the pain is from. Also, when the pain gets bad from sciatica or something else and the dr. sends me to physical therapy for treatment, the exercises cause all sorts of triggers and flare-ups of my fibro and make me worse rather than better. I had to quit working in January due to the combination.

Deb
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I have both~
    Not happy with the 2 together either!

Your right,...they work together and make it so much more painful. I have mega flare ups in which I think all my conditions flare together.

I have an odd shape scoliosis in that instead of your common S shape curve,..I have a C curve. (???) weird huh?
    Although you would'nt know,..its not noticable to others,..just me and trained professionals.

Sometimes when my low back goes out on me,..My scaitica kicks in and due to very bad spasms in my low back: my curve pulls more to one side and I can see where I'm crooked~(big time!)
    And I've been told that generally having scoliosis does'nt casue back troubles~ Yea right!
    common sense would tell anyone that it sure does!!

I stopped working 8 yrs ago due to pain.
    I'm 42 now.
    So,...your not alone,..and I sympathize with all you go thru~
    There are quite a few of us here with both.
    We've talked about it before.
    Others will be along to post soon.

Take care,...
    'and hang in there~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  3. rosiedee

rosiedee New Member

Yes I have both. I have a significant s curve about 36 degrees on the top and 24 or so on the bottom. Needless to say it makes matters worse and I just need to stick with an exercise program to keep my back strong. How are you dealing with it? Rose
  4. stampfreak

stampfreak New Member

Was told in high school I had scoliosis but my Dr. at that time said I didn't (without X-rays!) A few years later I started having bad sciatica and X-rays revealed the scoliosis, degenerative discs and spinal stenosis. I've had lots of physical therapy and will face surgery in a few years. I have a lot of pain but CFS, not FM.

The CFS was diagnosed in '96 with a 5 year remission until last year. I'm off work at the present due to that.

God bless,
    Sue
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes, I have scoliosis with FMS and CFS

Makes it hard to get around!
  6. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12. I was supposed to do exercises, but I never did.

The main trouble I have isn't pain - it's more related to my posture and how clothes fit me. My hip sticks out on one side, and my shoulder is higher on the other. I can't wear certain clothes because you can see my hip sticking out.

I do have sciatica problems sometimes. I didn't know that was related to scoliosis. I had it really bad when I was pregnant. It also is painful when I vacuum. I guess having fibro along with anything else makes it worse.

BxGirl
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I didnt think it was possible to develop scoliosis as an adult but I guess I have. I was checked in school like everyone else and was fine. After years of FM docs tell me I have scoliosis now..Anyone know how this happens in an adult? I thought maybe tight muscles pull the bone structure...??
  8. cerise

cerise New Member

After getting X-rays because of injuries from a car accident, that's when the doctor told me I had scolosis. I remember as a child having to wear special shoes for that, brainfog, it's vague. NOBODY has told me the tie-in, if there is any.

I also have CFIDS, OI, Lyme Disease, PTSD and sick-&-tired of dealing SSA disease!

I'm 48 and only 5'1" tall. I don't need to get any shorter than am already. What am I supposed to do now, get put on the rack?

I'm open to suggestions and information!
  9. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I have all these symptoms. Sometimes it is diddicult to know what is causing pain.

Right now my sciatica is killing me. My left shoulder is
    higher than my right. I also suffer from TMJ and Nerve pain. As a result I get terrible headaches about onece a week.

I am on Elavil so I guess the headaches would be worse if I wasnt on it

Mary.

10. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

Thanks to those of you who replied on the scoliosis with fibro. Right now I am coping with it with exercises & stretches, massages and rubs when it's bad, but wondering if it may need a brace or surgery eventually. The curve is 60 some degrees (upper and lower) and the dr. said it is getting one degree worse per year (which is normal!!??). The physiatrist my HMO dr. referred me to has not been helpful.

Also, do any of you have children who seem to have inherited some of your health problems? My daughter (14)has a small scoliosis with thyroid, cortisol, & growth hormone deficiency and my son has a sleeping disorder which they are trying to diagnose. My other son had to drop out of college at Christmas with severe ulcerative colitis. He is out of danger but still not well enough to resume his life--meds and diet not working very effectively or quickly. (I have IBS at times, but not colitis, although my dad had it plus fibro.)

Deb
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Mine was also found as an adult.
    Not before.
    As a child I was never told I had scoliosis.
    My Mom was shocked because she said I did not have it!

I don't know what caused it to appear later in life???
    But I was thinking the same thing mentioned above:
    spasms in my back gradually pulled it to one sife and gave me the curve.??
    weird?
  12. Chermione

Chermione New Member

Yes. I was told I had scoliosis when I was in 7th grade, around 13 I think. It's at the top of my back and curves to the right. The dr. back then suggested I carry my papers (paper route) on my left shoulder and that might help straighten me out.

Well, after doing that and carrying everything else on that side too because I'm so used to it, I now walk crooked! I over compenstated and ended up holding my left shoulder up more to carry the weight!

I just went to a new rhuemy and I told him about my scoliosis and he checked it and said, "yeah, I see it down here" in my lower back! I said, "no it's at the top" he looked and said "yep there too" !!!!!!! OMG, I have it double! No wonder my back hurts so much!

He wants me to do physical therapy but I'm afraid to go. But I have to at least try it so the dr. sees that I'm seriously trying not to have to just go on pain meds.

I've rescheduled 3 times now! My appt. is tomorrow now.
  13. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I just found out this past year that I have scoliosis. I have FM, and osteoarthritis too.

I think what contributed to the scoliosis is that I have muscle spasms in my lower back so bad that it pulls me over to the side, and lasts for days at a time. My doctor said that this pulling over of my spine has created the problem. No way to fix it either.

It seems like those of us with pain problems, have all kinds of things out of whack!!

Kinsie
  14. jeanmarie

jeanmarie New Member

Yes I have what they have called a mild scoliosis and DDD. Herniated discs and a first degree spondyliosynthesis (sp?).
    Needless to say, it hurts alot. Then as the Fibro pain kicks in.....I just become one big tooth ache. I'm 58 and I have been on disability since 1995.

Jeanmarie
  15. sarahb17

sarahb17 Member

I have both too. i have the S shaped curve in my back and was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia not long ago. i think i have fibromyalgia from genetics since im still in my late teens. the pain keeps my up at night, so i know what yall go through. it is hard to determine whether the pain is from the scoliosis or the fibro sometimes because of where the pain is. i worry about the trouble of getting a job and keeping it from the pain because it is almost impossible to do any heavy lifting or standing to long without extreme spasms hitting.