Anyone with Fibromyalgia have ulcers?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Esoteric, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Esoteric

Esoteric New Member

I've been diagnosed today with an ulcer. I have been under a lot of stress and being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia has certainly added more fuel to the pot.

Normally I can manage my stress well, but it seems to have gotten away from me - excess stomache acid. I've lost quite a bit of weight, and can't afford to, but am nauseated at the thought of eating.

Back to the ole relaxation tapes, although at this point, I feel like throwing them against the wall.

Anyone else with FM have ulcers?

Esoteric
  2. Esoteric

Esoteric New Member

I've been diagnosed today with an ulcer. I have been under a lot of stress and being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia has certainly added more fuel to the pot.

Normally I can manage my stress well, but it seems to have gotten away from me - excess stomache acid. I've lost quite a bit of weight, and can't afford to, but am nauseated at the thought of eating.

Back to the ole relaxation tapes, although at this point, I feel like throwing them against the wall.

Anyone else with FM have ulcers?

Esoteric
  3. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Hi Esoteric,
    I was diagnosed with ulcers back in 1999, my Gastro Dr told me that the pain med I was on at the time gave them to me, I was on Vicodin. I was taking them all the time to help control my pain, he told me alot of stress will give you ulcers, but since I told him I do have alot of stress, because of this DD, and that I needed pain meds, I have no other choice, he said that Vicodin's can cause ulcers too. Although, I have a couple friends that take them also and they don't have any problems with that Medication? I think, if I do recall under alot of stress, not to mention pain. I got off the Vicodin, and after some ulcer meds they cleared right up! Kinda weird, but the truth, I have never taken them ever again, and my ulcers are gone. Now I wish I could just find out how to get rid of major heartburn and bloating I will be in good shape!!! I do have IBS and GERDS, but take meds for that. Wildcat
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had ulcers years ago, I was told it was cause by pain meds and I was addicted to Coca Cola and Coffee. I had to stop the pain meds, and the coke and coffee, and had to eat small meals every couple of hours. At the time, I was also under a lot of stress.

Now they think that certain kinds of ulcers are caused by bacteria, and treat them with antibiotics.

I found this article on the Home page, thought it might help you. There are more articles there also. If you are interested just type in 'Ulsers' and they will come up for you.

Shalom, Shirl

NSAIDs Triple Risk of Severe Upper Gastrointestinal Events
    ImmuneSupport.com

05-02-2002

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Apr 29 - The results of a meta-analysis of cohort and case control studies of severe upper gastrointestinal (GI) complications suggest that the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) increases the risk of perforation, ulcers, and bleeds by a factor of approximately three, US investigators report.

Previously reported meta-analyses were marred by restrictions on type of study and language of publication, and by omission of nonpublished data, Dr. Joshua J. Ofman, of Cedars-Sinai Health System and Zynx Health Inc., in Beverly Hills, California, and associates note. Their analysis, which appears in The Journal of Rheumatology for April, attempts to overcome these restrictions.

The researchers evaluated 4881 published titles and identified randomized controlled trials involving three US Food and Drug Administration studies and 13 published reports regarding outcomes of perforation, ulcers and bleeds. They also evaluated 23 case control studies and 9 cohort studies.

Randomized control trials involved 4431 patients and yielded a pooled odds ratio of 5.36 compared with placebo. Case control studies, which contributed more than 25,000 patients, yielded a pooled odds ratio of 3.0.

When Dr. Ofman's group stratified their analysis according to whether studies were published before or after 1990, they found no significant difference between the results of randomized control trials and case control studies. However, the risk ratio for cohort studies that appeared before 1990 was 2.0, while the risk ratio for those published in 1990 or later was 3.4.

Dr. Ofman and his associates did not address differences between selective and nonselective cyclooxygenase (COX) inhibitors. In an editorial, Dr. Chris J. Hawkey, of the University Hospital Nottingham in the UK, recommends that similar analysis be conducted for both classes of drugs and for non-GI toxicities.

"The challenge of such studies will be to assess the effect of drugs on overall health, morbidity, and mortality," Dr. Hawkey concludes.

J Rheumatol 2002;29:804-812.

5. Cheka

Cheka New Member

I was under a lot of stress and was taking NSAIDS around the clock for my OA. Bad, bad combination. I was so miserable. Thanks for posting the article, Shirl!
    Love,
    Debbie
  6. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

a duedenum ulcer but first I had the bacterial bug Heliobacter pylorei. Have you been tested for this. It usually involves a blood test and is treated by heavyduty antibiotics along with anti acid medication. It is worthwhile checking for this bacteria because left untreated it can cause serious problems.
    I also had an endoscope since stomach cancer runs in my family but was found to have the ulcer which then caused my duodenum to become inflamed. very painful.
    I took anticid meds for 2 months along with a modified diet. I found fatty foods and dairy aggravated the ulcer and I also stop drinking coffee and caffeine drinks as these are known irritants.
    I no longer need antiacid meds and no longer feel nauseous and queasy so the good news is that your ulcer will heal.
    But a visit to gastroenterology would be the best place for you.
    hope this helps
    love therese
  7. Esoteric

Esoteric New Member

It was nice to read your responses. I take pain meds only when I absolutely need them - usually about once or twice per month. I do drink a lot of coffee & tea and worry excessively about everything under the sun.

Thanks for the good article Shirl, I appreciate that. My doctor put me on a mild sedative to take in the evening; I took the first one last night and wow; did that ever knock me out. I slept through my alarm this morning, but woke up stiff and achy which surprised me.

Hope you all have a great day!

Esoteric