anyone with FM also have breast problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, May 24, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had an abnormal mammogram.
    Last week I had to go in for a second mammo, and an ultrasound of my left breast.

I just had my very first mammo in my life a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, turns out I have a cyst (nothing to worry about with that) and 2 calcifications in the left breast. So, they went ahead and did the biopsy that same day, right there. Hurt like hell, and looks really awful now since they had to "invade" me twice.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the frickin results! The biopsy was done last Wednesday afternoon, and here it is Monday. I had taken vacation days last Thur and Fri cause I needed a vacation from here at work! Well, needless to say, my days away from work really sucked! So much anxiety. They told me they should know the results (last) Friday afternoon. Well, THAT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!! And, of course they don't work on weekends!!! So, I called just a while ago, and they still don't have any results, and said to try back after lunch.

I'm starting to wonder if they even sent the dang samples off! They need to get quicker results on stuff like this. It makes life even harder for people and their families.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else with FM has had to go through something like this also?? I'm trying to keep a positive mood until I find out, but it's soooo hard!
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I would like to tell you to try and not worry...but you will anyway. I know I did. Many years ago i had a lump visible to the naked eye. My doctor found another deep in the breast tissue that i couldnt feel myself. Went thru everything you have. Turns out both were nothing. The visible one got infected and had to be drained and removed in the er. I wouldnt recommend it. All this before my DD dx. Hang in there...theyre doing everything right. Except the waiting. Its tough. I wouldnt want you to quote me on this but i believe it took about a week for my results to come back. And maybe theres something that you could do as a distraction? A book? Online word game? Something to occupy your mind? Plz let us know how things turn out. {hugs}
  3. Sonny1

Sonny1 New Member

First mammo, left breast,torture,slow results.I dont feel its related to fibro,except that we can't tolerate the pain as well. Odds are they find something,and since its the first one, they don't hesitate to slice you open.Hopefully,from now on they will just compare films,now that they have a baseline. I did not get the pain relief i needed.I refuse any further surgeries untill they put it on paper,( I have to sign a million things) that they get fibro pain and will give me whatever i need to get through.I had a verbal agreement,that the doctor did not stick to.
  4. loto

loto Member

See, I made the mistake of NOT getting online and reading more about this stuff, because I was afraid of what I'd find. Now I just did read about calcifications and it DID put my mind more at ease!

Thanks for the replies and hugs!
  5. loto

loto Member

My biopsy reports came back benign, thank the Good Lord.

One of them may require being taken out completely, i forgot the name of what it is, but I have a follow up thursday. If left there it may cause problems later in life.

So, I can deal with that, at least they're not cancer.

6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Yay! Sooo glad everythings fine. Getting the cyst out will give you some peace of mind. Congratulations!
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Great news!!!!
  8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

i just read your post and wanted to add my two cents. I have had to have 4 surgeries to my left breast for cyst and calcifacations over the last 33 years all benign! Praise The Lord! The drs do make me have regular mammograms to keep a close watch. I totally understand the waiting game for the results and the high anxiety that goes with it.That was worse than the surgerys .at least I was asleep for them. haha I always get nervous with every mammogram now tho and always thankful when they come back normal. Sorry i didnt get to post until after you received your results but am very happy things turned out well for you. god bless
  9. loto

loto Member

I'm glad to hear yours have all come back benign! Wow, you've been dealing with it for a long time.
    I'm still a little anxious about what the results will be after they've taken the papilloma and area around it out. But, my faith in God is helping me through it.
    I'll let you all know how my surgery for it goes Tuesday...I'm hoping this time they'll call me with the results sooner than they did the last time! Last time the weekend really slowed it all up.

10. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

You might be interested to know that Dr. Guy Abraham and Dr. David Brownstein have argued that most Americans are deficient in iodine, and that having a higher intake of iodine, as people do in Japan from eating seaweed, is protective against both fibrocystic breasts and breast cancer. The average daily intake of iodine in Japan is much higher than the daily allowance established by the Institute of Medicine in the U.S. (150 micrograms).

There is an iodine loading test available from Doctor's Data Lab, which can be ordered from without a doctor's order. Iodoral tablets can be ordered from the internet. The way the test is run is that you take 50 mg (50,000 micrograms) of iodine as Iodoral, and then collect urine for 24 hours, mix it, take a sample, and send it to the lab. They will send the results directly to you. You should excrete 90% of this iodine dosage in the urine if your body has enough iodine, according to Dr. Abraham. I have seen the results so far for only one woman, and they came out 68%. She is now supplementing with iodine as Iodoral at 12.5 mg (12,500 micrograms) per day.

Best regards,

11. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I will keep you in my prayers that all goes well and that you recover quickly !The last one I had to have taken out was pretty large area and did leave a permanent indention in my breast but at my age thats no biggie at least it wasnt cancer and Im thankful for that.Also with this last one they ran a wire with a needle through my nipple and injected purple dye into the area of concern and only the the bad cells/califications pick up the dye so the surgeon know exactly what he needs to remove during the surgery.they do the needle procedure about an hour or so before the surgery, didnt hurt as they numbed it all up.anyway good luck to you.