Anyone with FM have ear problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Apr 10, 2012.

1. loto

loto Member

I've had FM for 4 years now, and for the past 6 months or so I have ear problems, in that it feels like I always have fluid in them, especially my right ear. And, while showering I always have gotten water in my ears, but it's always drained out easily. Now I have a hard time getting all of the water to drain out, and at least once a day I can "hear" a flutter, like fluid is in it.
    I've seen my doctor for it, and at that time he said I did not have an ear infection, but that my ear drum, or the area near my ear drum seemed "inflamed". So, he prescribed me a cortosteroid pack to take care of it. Well now, I started that med (I've taken it in the past) and it made me feel totally awful. Awful like FM does, except a thousand times worse! So I never finished it.
    Anyway, I haven't gone back to Doctor for my ear, and I'm just wondering if this has something to do with Fibromyalgia?
    Please, anyone who experiences this let me know so I have something to go on when I do go back to Doctor about it.
  2. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Yes. I have that fluid in the ear sensation and tinnitus. Kinda feels like a head cold but I don't get any other cold type symptons. It comes and goes every 6 months or so (although I live with the tinnitus daily). Don't let it go on too long because I had an experience last summer when I thought it was the usual fluid in the ear feeling but then I started not being able to hear well in my right ear. I went to the Dr and he diagnosed that it was sudden sensory neuro hearing loss. He put me on high doses of prednisone for 9 days to reduce the ochlear inflammation in the ear. It is very important to have a hearing test done to make sure you have not had any hearing loss. I had mild to moderate hearing loss and the prednisone helped to restore it. If you wait too long the inflammation could cause permanent nerve damage and possible permanent hearing loss. I did not have any adverse reactions to the prednisone. My hearing was restored, thankfully.

I am not sure if this is part of the fibro stuff, but I am assuming it is because of the inflammation problems that so many of us have.

Every time I get on this message board, I can relate to everyone! I have had fibro for 10 years and I am so glad that I can communicate with so many people that have suffered as I have.

3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi. Many fibro sufferers have TMJ issues. If your ears don't get better, get checked for it by a dentist. You may have it. I think since fibro affects all the muscles and tendons in the body, it also affects the ones in the face and head. I've had that experience before. the flutter you are feeling, could be the muscles twitching inside your head somewhere. I know it sounds strange, but I've had this before. Just another weird issue LOL. Hope you feel better soon.
  4. loto

loto Member

Thanks so much for sharing your ear experience with me. I'm going to make an appt soon. I just hope there's something other than the oral prednisone to treat it. That's what I was prescribed the first time I went for my ear. I've taken prednisone before and don't know why it affected me the way it did. I wonder if a cortisone shot would work? I'll have to find out.
    Thank you, though, because I was going crazy!!!