Anyone with FM suddenly crave sweets?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Jan 17, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

I am going crazy wondering why I suddenly began craving sweets a couple of months ago. The only thing I know I have is Fibromyalgia. I began having digestive problems in September 08. So, my cravings for desserts and chocolate began about 2 months ago. I know it's not because of winter, or because it was the start of the holiday season and all the goodies lying around. I used to only eat one dessert or "sweet" treat a day, and now I just can't get enough! I have to force myself to eat healthy food, and stay away from the bad stuff. Anyone else out there have this problem? If so, do you know why?????? It's not good for my body, plus I fear I'm going to gain so much weight, because most days I don't have enough energy to get proper excercise.
    Please let me know if this sounds like some kind of condition I need to have my doctor check out.
    thanks for any help!!
  2. klcooper

klcooper New Member

I don't know if it's the fibro but I do love sweets, have most of my life. Like I said I don't know if it's from the FM but I do go thru spurts when I really crave it, which isn't good because I've heard that if we can decrease our sugar intake, the pain won't be as bad. I have no idea if that's true or not. Guess I didn't answer your question, but it is interesting.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

Iam in one of those sweet craving cycles. It's absolutely nuts.

Usually Im not a big sweet eater but I get into these jags where gotta have it.

not sure why. with salt it means you need potassium. have to ask my doc.

4. canap

canap New Member

I rarely ate sweets maybe twice a year then a few months ago i started craving sweets. I don't seem to hurt any worse than before. I have recently had to make myself stop eating them as gained weight. I mentioned it in passing to the doc but she didn't seem concerned. Had labs not long ago and everything was fine.
  5. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

I WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND EAT 2 OR 3 CANDY BARS OR WHAT EVER ITS LIKE I JUST HALF TO HAVE SOMETHING SWEET,DON'T NO WHY BUT I'VE HAD THIS CRAVING 2 OR 3 YEARS NOW.MAYBE SOMEBODY ELSE WILL NO WHY AND I CAN LEARN SOMETHING TO.SORRY COULDN'T HELP,BUT I'VE BEEN WOUNDERING THE SAMETHING MYSELF.GOOD LUCK.GOD BLESS.MARK
  6. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

a link to this article was in my email this morning.

i also crave sweets alot (more than i used to, since getting FM). this article makes sense...

taken from...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fibromyalgia/fibromyalgia-emotional-support/preventing-depression-and-anxiety.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthEmotionalHealth_20090120

Diet — According to Lynne Matallana, founder and president of the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA), fatigue is the second most commonly cited fibromyalgia symptom. Not only can this ongoing lack of energy cause patients to feel depressed, it can also lead to "self-medicating" with foods containing sugar or caffeine, eaten in an effort to counter the pervasive tiredness. Unfortunately, these choices can interfere with sleep patterns or cause "sugar highs," which are followed by increased anxiety. Instead, the NFA recommends following a healthy diet rich in low-fat and high antioxidant foods. This will help maximize your energy and alertness and minimize constant fatigue — which should help counter or reduce episodes of depression and/or anxiety. Dr. Smith also recommends avoiding alcohol, which is a depressant, and using sugar only in moderation. "Fibromyalgia patients, particularly those with mitochondrial and adrenal issues, report having insomnia and intense anxiety, especially if they have sugar at night."
  7. loto

loto Member

thanks, this is helpful! i'll pay more attention and see if i'm doing the major craving when i'm especially tired.