Anyone with gall bladder issues?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morgana, Jun 15, 2011.

1. morgana

morgana New Member

Over the past 2 years I have had reacuuring trips to the hospital with the most awful pains under my right rib cage ,just under the sternum and into my back and the side of my right ribcage going up to my right shoulder blade ,the pain was worse than giving birth i couldnt stand up straight or even sit down it felt like i was having a heart attack at one point the pain came in waves it was awful.
    i was also quite sick with vomiting ..the hospital said it was probably gallstones as I had all the classic symptoms gave me a jab and sent me home told me to go to the lies the problem I suffer with health anxiety and have panic attacks so because the pains always went away i never bothered to go to the dr......Hence i changed my diet and the attacks got less frequent had the odd niggle here and there.......last week i had another attack my diet had become rather full of things i knew i shouldnt have been eating kfc and cheese and also fries and i talked myself into going to the drs......he said it was gallstones after describing my symptoms and feeling my abdomen i had intense pain where the gall bladder is situated ...he has now referred me to have an ultra sound scan...........and now i am in the throws of almost a week of anxiety attacks fearing the worst you know how dr google is ....ill say no more but i am scared really scared i cant sleep at night my stomach is churning with fear all the time......i just wanted to ask of those of you that have had gall bladder issues inbeetween attacks did u have like a burning achy pain under your right shoulder and did u feel sick sometimes too please help
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2011]
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

In January I had the same thing! Dr just knew it was gallstones. She put me on abx and sent me for an Ultrasound. Like you said the pain was worse than childbirth!!!

Turns out there was some inflammation, but no stones. What I did have was h pylori bacteria infection in my tummy, and probably ulcers too :/

After a couple months things got much better, just in the last 2 weeks that nagging pain has come back in my back.

Been under lots of stress :/ I did take a supplement called mastic gum while I did all the abx for the h pylori, I think it made a big difference.

Also I know it sounds hokey, but drinking simply apple juice would cut the pain significantly!!!I was in horrible pain, and up late reading on the Internet. Saw several threads on gallbladder pain and people getting relief from it.

It worked!!!hope this helps, I know it's scary!!! We sound a lot alike;( try not to google too much, and go to the dr. I put it off 2 weeks cause of being scared.

I was freaking thinking I'd have to have surgery, the doc said no way should I have let that pain go that long.

Get checked!! At least an ultrasound.keep us posted.

3. morgana

morgana New Member

Hi and thanks for the reply yes i also read somewhere that apple juice was good for the attacks also apple cider vinegar OMG that tastes awful......Its not the gall bladder surgery that im worried about its the ultra sound im not afriad it will hurt or anything but because i have health anxiety its a fear of what else they might find there yes irrational i know and because i have relied on DR Google it has made things so much worse.......he should be struck off the list of medical practitioners i think its because im having nigglies in my back and also up to my shoulder and this sicky feeling and im not having an actual gb atttack is whats bothering me ...i just wanted to know if anyone else gets symptoms when not having an actual gb attack
    gentle hugs xx
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I about threw up doing the ultrasound thinking they were gonna find something awful!

If you take meds for anxiety, take it aboutb30 mins before the test.

Even after the initial attack was over, I hurt in my chest thru to my back, nausea, low-grade fevers, and couldnt lay down without more pain

It took a good 3 months before that nagging pain between my shoulder blades finally went away. The last few weeks it has started again

So I'll be starting the mastic gum again, and watch what I eat. I've been slacking on that.

Ooh and if you need a natural supp for anxiety you might try L theanine, it's good for that.

H pylori would be something to look into also, it can make you really sick.

(( hugs)) kat
  5. morgana

morgana New Member

I take citalopram and also propranolol for my anxiety............i thought i had the anxiety under control until the dr ordered the ultrasound........i can imagine that i will be feeling dreadful the day of my scan ill take some of my meds before hand but i dnt think it will help maybe a bash on the head with a big hammer will do the long have you suffered with your gb pains and do you have some sort of symptom everyday ?are you planning on having your gall bladder removed ? did they just scan the gall bladder or all of your abdomen during the scan ...sry lol so many questions i will loook into the mastic gum that you have suggested i dont know about the other one as it might possibly interact with the other meds i take

((((((((((((gentle hugs))))))))))))))) cat
  6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I pretty much have always been scared of tests or anything like that.
    But never took anything for it.about 5 years ago I started having anxiety attacks especially when I drove. It got so debilitating my dr put me on Xanax.

I still have a tough time with tests, blood work, anything I think that will show something bad.
    Ooh believe me, there's been times I would have welcomed a bash to the head with a big ole hammer,lol

I had a total hysterectomy in 08, honestly I don't know how I didn't have a heart attack before they wheeled me in!
    Have had the pains off and on for a couple years, but nothing as severe as in January! I thought I was gonna die. The scanned the whole abdomen. Gallbladder, liver, spleen, pancreas.
    I plan on keeping it as long as it will let me. I dont have stones, but you can have a sluggish one that will cause pain too.there's a great website that has info on stuff you can do to keep your gallbladder in shape, beet are supposed to be great for the gallbladder.
    The website I'm talking about has supps to keep it in shape. So I plan on taking a few things.

I went 3 months without symptoms, but the past few weeks that has changed. So back on the mastic gum, watch what I'm eating, and gonna try some beet supps.
    Anything to keep from having surgery!!! Google the L theanine, i think you can still take your meds with it, it helped me lower my dose of Xanax.

Take care!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2011]
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had my gall bladder removed April 5th, on an emergency. I drove myself to the hospital the day before, because I could no longer tolerate the symptoms that went on for a long time and had gone from bad to worse,,,chronic shoulder pain, digestive issues, abdominal discomfort, and a general feeling of feeling unwell. Woke up the night before surgery in intense pain, and at the urging of my gastro, drove straight to the ER. I did not have gall stones as most people do, but rather, had something called biliary dyskinesia, which essentially means that the gallbladder has decreased function and was essentially shutting down, throwing bile everywhere. BTW, this DOES NOT show up on an ultrasound; you must have a HIDA scan (nuclear scan) to make this determination. The Hida has a requirement of 35 or better for a normal functioning gall bladder; I had a near zero. Had the surgery immediately, which went very smoothly, and felt relief from the moment I awoke from the surgery. Did not realize how crappy I was feeling for so long. BTW, many of my fibro symptoms have virtually disappeared since the surgery.

I feel so much better, and I consider that surgery a blessing. I am a bit angry with my gastro and gyno who blew off my symptoms for so long, and am very grateful to the attentive surgeon in the ER who took me seriously and ordered the HIDA scan immediately after the ultrasound..

Good luck--

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2011]
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to have gallbladder issues, though not as severe as yours. I did not have full-blown gallbladder attacks, it was "just" inflamed or just not working properly. Luckily I had a very good chiropractor who gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process, which helped a great deal (it's a food product, not a drug). It can help a sluggish gallbladder work the way it is supposed to.

I also had to avoid fried foods, etc., you know.

And then discovered I needed to take hydrochloric acid with each meal, especially meals with protein. People with CFS are notorious for being low on stomach acid, which can screw up your whole digestive system.

So I eat sensibly now, very little fried foods, lots of vegies, and I do eat protein with each meal and I do take HCL with each meal and my gallbladder is great, am glad I still have it.

For your anxiety - l-theanine is good, it's an amino acid which helps your brain produce GABA, a natural tranquilizer. Also deep breathing and meditation are very good as well for easing anxiety. The meditation takes awhile to kick in, you have to do it regularly for several weeks before you really see any results but it's well worth it.

9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I wanted to also add that in my particular situation, I had absolutely no alternative but to have the gall bladder removed; sometimes, you just don't have a choice. I was days if not hours away from gangrene or, potentially, Stage One cirrosis of the liver because the diseased gb can actually adhere itself to the liver, and removing it from the liver can cause cirrosis damage. I did not have the luxury of time to evaluate the situation and seek alternative methods. Frankly, I've heard this over and over again, mostly from the grossly misinformed people who think gall bladder disease is only about stones. It's not, and sometimes surgery is the only way, as it was in my case.

Again, as I mentioned before demand a HIDA scan and find out the status of your gall bladder. Said it before and I will say it again, this surgery has tremendously improved my quality of life.

Good Luck--Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2011]
  10. morgana

morgana New Member

hi just updating on my gall bladder situation had an ultrasound back in August and it turns out that i have lots of stones and I am now scheduled for surgery to have it removed on the 30th of November.....i am so relieved that its going to come out as nausea ,indigestion severe diarrhea(sp) pain and feeling generally sick all the time
    .Absolutely terrified that they will find something else going on in there with some other organ as they pass through with their camera thingy when they do the op, here the health anxiety rears its ugly head yet again I know Im probably blowing this all out of proportion but has anyone got any tips or advice to stop me feeling like this as I don't want to be in the situation where Im gonna back out of having it done through sheer panic thanks for any advice you can give Morgana
  11. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

You will feel so much once you get the surgency done.

I had to have emergency surgery, and I had 1 solid stone. The dr. was surprised it had not rupurtured.