Anyone with hair loss?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by macecase, Feb 22, 2006.

1. macecase

macecase New Member

I've been dx with FMS for about 6 or so years. Over the last several months I have been noticing that I have been losing large amounts of hair. Dr. mentioned it could be from stress, anyone else experiencing this?
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I started having problems with hair loss and was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. Has your Dr tested you for that? If not, it needs to be a more indepth test than just the TSH. She should get free T3's and 4's as well.
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Stress can make it worse. My Dermatologist says having FM can cause it, certain meds too. Mine has been a lot better since I have been on whey protein, and Flax oils.
    Hope this helps...
  4. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My hair has always been very thick! My parents and brother's and sister has extremely thick hair. I have been dealing with Fibro for two years. I never noticed any hair loss up until recently. I think my problem has more to do with stress and anxiety than FMS. I see lots of hair loss with just combing or showering. I sometimes get scared to see so much coming out with a shower. I also have a little bald spot (size of a pea) near the part of my hair. I have long hair and I part it on the right so I can cover it up. It's nerve racking to see that one spot and notice so much of a hair loss.
    Angela
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

never could supplement w/ flax, used to have a nasty allergy to it and it would make me constipated and make my PMS symptoms worse, esp. breast tenderness. Got over it, but flax is an estrogen promoter, so eating it in whole grain breads and crackers is enough for me. So if you know you definitely don't need more estrogen, watch out for Vit. E, flax, and primrose oil. Try salmon oil or hemp seed oil, which is a perfect ratio of Omegas 3, 6, & 9. I just so happen to dry up like a prune if I use anything but salmon oil. Look Ma, no winter itch anymore.

The other thing that will cause some temporary hair loss, even now, is too much detoxing, like from taking antifungals which cause candida die off. So I know to back off and lighten the herxing, and sometimes give myself a few days break from anything that will cause a herx when I see too much hair in the shower drain.

Jeanne
  6. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Hair loss, especially when it comes out in clumps, is a symtom of low thyroid.