Anyone with High Blood Pressure?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Astarte, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Astarte

Astarte New Member

My blood pressure is usually low...the new dentist I went to as a routing takes your blood pressure the first time. Mine was 214/120! I didn't feel any different than when it was low.

I was taking Lyrica for 8 days but that's not a side effect, the side effect is low bloodpressure. I stopped taking it and still the BP is high.

My Med Dr. put me on BP lowering pills and it's now down to 146/90. Still not low or normal.

Has anyone heard of this being a symptom of FM? Or associated with it? No, I'm not heavy...5'6" and wear between a 10 & 8.

Star
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

And, in my opinion, FM is a huge stress on your body. I have high blood pressure, and it started when I was 24. I am also not overweight, but I am in constant pain. The constant pain is what did it to me, at least that is what I'm told.

When I'm at the dr in a flare, or on a really bad pain day, even with my meds my BP is through the roof high, so there is a direct relationsip between the two for me.

Leanne
  3. Astarte

Astarte New Member

has been really concerned and worried about my bp being so high. He said that's why they call heart disease the silent killer, you don't feel any different.

But he doesn't have FM. I was explaining to him last night how it feels, he really has allot of sympathy for me and hates that the doctors don't know more to at least take the pain away. He said he knows why I'd take the risk of being on pain meds rather than being in pain like this.

Hands hurting have to stop typing now.
    Star
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

My blood pressure (which was high normal) went nuts a couple of years ago when I got pregnant with my last child.

It (in addition to FM and thyroid) has been like trying to tame a tiger ever since.

When I am in pain it is MUCH higher. Also NSAID painkillers will raise it as well.

Right now we're trying to keep it down with Norvasc and Labetalol. We'll see how it goes.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and am now on B/P tablets.

I had not felt right for a while and was more concerned about my breathing and the exaustion I had.It was not like the exaustion I get with the fibro............it was much harder to move.I wanted to just sit all day long and could not get any air into my lungs.
    Also the last 3 different tablets I was taking for arthritis were all taken off the market because of heart scares(celebrex,vioxx then diclofenic)so I hope they have not contributed to this.

There is a family history of heart problems in my family and 3 of my siblings have high cholestrol(mine is 5.9) so I have to go back for more blood tests tomorrow.

This last week my B/P has been up and down but never low enough to say it is ok....1/2 an hour ago it was 170/101 so I am still a bit worried.I am 54 but one of my brothers died 4 years ago at 53 from a heart attack and I am really trying with the diet etc.
    I hope you all get your B/P under control.

Rena
  6. Astarte

Astarte New Member

What are NSAID drugs?

Rena, you sound like me. I'm going to take my bp in a few minutes. Don't have the funds to get my own bp machine till next pay day.

Our family has heart problems too. But I think that weight was a big factor for my mom's problem. She's extremely overweight and has had asthma and now permanent lung damage. So it's a real stress on her heart. Both parents have high Choloesterol, mine is normal.

I think I need to keep copies of my medical files with me so I know what my numbers are.

Rena, how long was your BP high till your dr. gave you something and what is the reason for the HBP?

I guess if the doctors attributed it to pain from FM, then they'd have to admit that it was a problem and actually come up with a solution and pain meds. ;-)
    Star
  7. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

BP reacts too stress and pain. My BP was always low, sometimes very low, like 94/46......after being so sick for a few years with RA,OA,FM, etc.....my BP(214/120 and much higher, like once in the ER I think it was 253/130) now gets very high and I am on meds. I have been on Avapro for several months, I seem to tolerate this med OK, and my BP is sometimes normal...so this is good. It still goes up with stress and pain, but goes back down on its own.
  8. Astarte

Astarte New Member

So is that the reason your BP goes up? Your dr doesn't want to do tests to make sure it's not heart related?

I worry about that because I don't feel a difference at all. If I felt different, it'd be a good warning that something was wrong.
  9. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I have had High blood pressure since I was 27- I am 50 now and take 2 different blood pressure pills- alot of people have BP now days and don't even realize it- Take your BP meds, don't be like me- I went off from it for a few years and it took a doctor many visits and different meds to get it in control!!!

It also runs in the family.
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It's usually hereditary. We all have it in my family, most of us fairly thin. mine started in my early 20's, and got worse after pregnancies. I have been thin all of my life until the past 2 years, now I'm a little heavier, but no increase in BP. Sure, stress affect BP, but it doesn't cause it. One usually have the hypertension latent then, and it will fluctuate between normal and high until it finally remains high for good.

It is VERY important to treat it. The heart can enlarge if not taken care of, my mother's heart is greatly enlarged because of high BP. This enlarged heart can cause heart failure. It can also cause strokes, especially if one is prone to migraines.

Blood vessels can become damaged in many areas of the body, like eyes, kidneys, legs and the like. Your doctor need to try different BP meds until you find one that works. They may work for some, but not others.

I tried 3 different kind and have found the one that seem to do it's job.

During infections and pain BP may inrease, but mostly it's the pulse that goes up. High BP is not a sign of FM as far as I understand it.

11. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I have had HPT since my early 20's. I was able to control it with hydrochlorothiazide for many years. My blood pressure was just fine through my 2 pregancies, (did not take any Meds)as soon as my children were born up it would go.

I have taken Procardia, did not agree with me. Now I take
    Atenolol. My BP has been up a little at the Pain Management appt. I think it goes up with pain, stress, etc. Also my pulse was 100, for me that is high.
    Cindy
  12. Astarte

Astarte New Member

My pulse is always good…about 58ish, never over 65. Lucky there. I’m going to pressure my dr. to find out why it’s so high, and was slow to react to the problem, took a month to get on the Toprol. It seems to be working well for me. It took 5 days for it to go down but it’s still high. After 2 weeks she wants me to up the 25mg dose to 50mg. Hopefully that will do the trick. My parents have HBP. But are heavy. Mom’s parents never had it, dad’s parents both did. My mom has congestive heart failure too. Thanks for all your valuable info. It keeps me wanting to pursue more answers because like the rest of you, I want to feel better, better could be a baby step but it’s a step forward.