Anyone with Myofascial Pain Syndrome??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Aug 7, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone that has Myofascial Pain Syndrome can tell me what the common symptoms of it are?

I have this burning pain on my arms...as though my hands and arms have been lit on fire or have had acid poured over them. The pain comes and goes...but usually lasts atleast 24 hours. (sometimes I get this on my legs too)

I've also experienced a snapping/popping pain in my right shoulder and right heel (like a guitar string snapping and breaking)...followed by the same kind of burning sensation.

This has been going on for years but has been happening more frequently now, so I thought I'd try to search for some answers before I go see my doctor again.

Also now my right shoulder is experiencing a somewhat constant burning pain (very slight sometimes)....which is quite annoying.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! :)

Val
  2. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Hi Val...My doctor has told me that I have myofacial pain syndrome and FM. I too have the burning in my arms and legs. But I also experience debilitating pain and fatigue during my flares. I have yet to learn exactly what triggers my flares..i know stress is a BIG part of them.

But, from what I have learned MPS and FM are very closely related. Please do a search for trigger point massages. has posted quite a bit of information that will help.

I know...I have bought the book she suggested and have learned to control quite a bit of my pain.

3 cheers for Hayleycole!!!

Dawn
  3. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello Dawn,

My doctor diagnosed me with FM (and that's it)...how do I know if this burning pain is myofacial pain and not something else (like Complex Regional Pain Syndrome or neurological)?

Have you experienced the snapping/popping pain too?

Thanks.
    Val
  4. FibroTart

FibroTart New Member

Feel your body..do you have "knots"...lumps under your skin..

I do

I think that was my clue...

May not be for all..everyone is different.
  5. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I do get knots on my neck and shoulders...I always thought that the knots on my neck was due to the Tension Headaches I get.

Do you get knots in there places? do you get knots in other places?

The places where I feel the burning pain do not have any knots...

Val
  6. mrsfie

mrsfie New Member

I have just been diagnosed with diffuse myofascial pain syndrome with a new rheumy. I have pain in many of my soft tissues, especially my butt. Sometimes I can hardly sit. Cleaned house today and have been on the sofa all evening laying on my stomach. No burning but tingling in my legs. Many hot flashes.

Sharon in St. Louis
  7. FibroTart

FibroTart New Member

I get them EVERYWHERE...I have hundreds of them---not exagerating either!

When my husband rubs them(he was the one that pointed them out to me) they hurt really, really bad

you can do a search...just put knots or lumps in the search box they will come up.

I think they are called myofascial trigger points?..not too sure...

just said ok one more thing...I do like to be rubbed though...hard too...hurts like ....but feels good after.

There is no way someone could rub all my knots away..someone mentioned shots before--I cannot even imagine.

the ones on your neck--I do not know maybe or could be your vertebrate? do you go to chiropractor?I am not sure...I am so knotty..it is hard for me to tell you...everyone is different ...you know?

Good luck...
  8. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for responding to me so quickly! I don't go to a chiropractor for the ones on my neck..my doctor said it's from stress and it is the cause for my Tension Headaches. Other than that I really don't have a lot of knots, but have been told in the past by message therapists that I have some knots in my shoulders (nothing outrageous though).

Yah I know what you mean...with FM everyone seems to have slighty different variations to the disease. Everyone is different.

I'm just searching for some answers now and getting kind of frustrated because nothing seems to be to clear to me...last night I got the burning pain again on my right hand/arm this time. It's really annoying...I just don't want to go back to the doctor again. I'm sick and tired of going to the doctor and them not really knowing what is wrong...

Val
  9. fleur_de_lis317

fleur_de_lis317 New Member

Hi all,

Great info in this subject! I have had fibro for over 20 years, I realized a few years ago that most of my pain is from trigger points, I have them everywhere and my husband can even see them. I learned about them from Devin Starlynal and got even more info from Clare Davies, I do self massage with fingers, 2 headed massager, theracane,
    hubby and massage therapist. I want to get the injections to have them hopefully not come back. A couple of years ago they changed the name of it from Myofascial Pain Syndrome to Chronic Myofascial Pain and it is actually considered a real disease with an actual diagnosis code for insurance, I just found this out a few weeks ago when the flare I am in started to get really bad and I was doing more research.

I am really excited about having found y'all and hope to make some new fibro buddies.

Fibroserenity
  10. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Hi I was wondering if you are flexible,bendy,double jointed,etc. Do your elbo's or knee'pop all the way back? I have fibromyalgia and sjogren's syndrome. Only I was just diagnosed with hypermobility Syndrome other wise known as HMS. It is the major reason for a lot of my pain. When you mentioned your arms poping, this is what made me think you could be hypermobil. You should look it up and mention it to your doctor. It is very interesting. Of course many doctors treat this diagnose just like they do fibromialgia, Some doctors think its all in our heads or we don't look sick. There is a great deal of PAIN with HMS as well as FMS. Hope you feel better.
  11. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thank you all for the information! It was greatly appreciated...I do have one question though. I was told to be diagnosed for FM they test "trigger" points (?) and now I hear that you have specific "trigger" points in MPS...what is the difference between the points where they test for FM and the points/knots in MPS? Are they both called Trigger Points?

Thanks.
    Val
  12. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

Thanks for the tip...when I say that my shoulder pops, it's more of a snapping feeling like a rubber band or a guitar string snapping and breaking. I am not really flexible or bendy at all...I wish I was more flexible infact! :)

Thanks again for your post.
    Val
  13. valleyann

valleyann New Member

hello,

thank you for your response to my post. It does make sense about how trigger and tender points are different. See I thought tender points were called trigger points too! That's where I got confused.

So now what I get from it is that there are specific tender points that the doctor checks for with FM. And with trigger points they can be anywhere on your body and they are usually knots?

I had 11 of the 18 tender spots. I think that helped the doctor diagnose me with FM. But I've heard of people having FM without the tender spots (like yourself)...so I guess everything is kind of different in different people.

Thanks for the good info!
    Val

14. valleyann

valleyann New Member

hello,

I just might have to grab a copy of that book...although I'm not too sure if I have these trigger points. I wanted to find out what they are before I "self-diagnos". :)

I have the tender points, but I don't think I have the trigger points...hmmm... but maybe I'll grab a copy of the book anyways, you never know right?

Thanks again!
    Val