Anyone with ribs HURTING?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chewie, Mar 8, 2003.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

Hi,
    When I woke up this am I felted like I had been in a accident.
    My ribs were sore and continued to hurt all day.I layed down after being up for 4 hours . Fell asleep and STILL woke up with achey ribs and then my shoulders HURT. STILL bothering me now.
    Anyone out there suffer from this?

Thanks IN Adavance
    Joyce
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It much be the 'day' for that rib pain, I have it and this is about the third post I answered today about it!

If its what I have (most people with Fibro seem to get this)its called; Costa Chondriasis, its inflamation where the muscles join to the bones of the ribs, and it hurts, bad!

I take an OTC Advil, along with a low dose Xanax, then wrap my ribcage with a heating pad and stay in bed. Thats the only thing I find that will help.

Some people have shots inbetween the ribs for it. I rather go the way I described above! Yea, I am chicken!

Hope you are feeling better soon, that is terrible pain.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Contra er uh something like that, anyway I was also told by two doctors
    that it was Myofascial tissue, I don't know if the two are related or
    what, but in any case..I put some sort of topical pain reliever like
    Pain Stop, Flexal, or one of those on
    and then I have an elastic rib brace
    that you put on and adjust with separate (but attached) strips of elastic with velcro on them to make it as tight or loose as you want it. I make it quite tight. It would seem
    the tight brace would hurt more, but for some reason it doesn't me. It REALLY helps. I got the brace at Walgreen's since they have so many medical aids but I'm sure Walmart or
    other places have them. Good luck because WHATEVER it's caused by, it
    HURTS! Hugs, Bambi
  4. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

Ribs hurt the most in the morning when I first wake up; so much that it is painful to take deep breaths. Recently diagnosed with FMS and on my third week of Elavil which does not seem to be doing anything other than alleviating the headaches and making me more groggy. Still struggling with the neck, back / shoulder pains and muscle and joint pains everywhere possible.
  5. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Looks like you have gotten some good advice. I get this too & I use my pain meds (hydromorphone) & heating pad, warm bath/shower help too. Take care.
    ***Pixie***