Anyone with SEVERVE Cognitive Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Dec 30, 2005.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

besides me. I read the post and so many people seem to be carrying on some semblance of a normal life except for pain. I have just purchased a timer to wear around my neck to remember that I have put something on the stove or turned water on in the tub. This goes beyond brain fog. It is never ending and is very depressing. I used my brain for my livelihood and now to write a check and mail it is just about too much. I rarely drive because I can't concentrate and because my eyes are so dry I can't see very well. I've become so discouraged. This symptom is the pits. It's is very much like the beginning of dementia and I don't know how to deal with this much longer.
  2. marw

marw New Member

Yes, I do. I read about people who put their tennis shoes n the fridge and laugh about it, and this is brain fog...they say. I think laughter is good, but I do not feel like laughing about what happens to me. I am somewhat like you. I can drive, however, even though I do have the dry eyes. What is driving me crazy is paying the bills...it is actually almost physically painful. I use a calculator and still it is sooo hard! And I used to make my living also with my brain, and to have a superior brain! Also, I have been crying today because I bought Christmas presents, and then went out and bought them again because I did not remember. I have so many memory difficulties. Yet on some days, I get clear and am like my old self. This is very few and is getting further apart. I don't know the answer, but I thought you might like to know that there is someone else who is suffering from this, and who is frustrated. It really is horrible....at least to me, it is!~ For the record, I also have the pain, too, the terrible debiltating pain....but I have had it all so long now....4 years....that I cannot tell pain from a memeory lapse. Anyway, I hope you will find some answers and post them here, and I will do the same. BTW: My doctor says I do not have dementia, so I do not know what this can be besides some extreme version of the brain fog. I answered your post because I think it goes beyong the ususal descriptions also. And thank you for writing, because I had been feeling so alone with this!
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I have had horrible brain fog as of late and feel dizzy and off-balance. Sometimes it gets much better, but it is always back and making my life miserable. I cannot drive sometimes because of all this too. I don't usually go to far from home. I too am thinking of getting a timer because I keep on burning stuff up on the stove which can be very dangerous.

GBHope
  4. daquayom

daquayom New Member

I too have to deal with cognitive problems due to my Fibro and yes, it is very depressing! I can walk into a room and forget what I was gonna do or get. I can be driving and not remember where I am going. What really drives me crazy are people who think Fibro is a crock and think you are crazy or a hypocondriac! But I know it's real and I sympothise with you.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

It's awful and seems to be getting worse every single day. It's almost like I don't understand English anymore. I have trouble understanding what people are saying and trouble putting my thoughts into words and sentences. It is so stressful. I get stressed and then I get more pain.

Sometimes when I am having a conversation on the phone with someone, I will write down what they are saying if it's important (i.e. illness, surgery, etc.) and the date I talked to them.

It's really bad.
  6. darvick

darvick New Member

I have had problems for a year. My family let me know before i noticed it. I even went to Neurologist and had brain scan,,, turned up normal. altho had one few years ago and said i had a few leasion, go figure??? I have post its everywhere, and still forget. My spouse reminds me that i told her the same thing 4x. Its very frustrating I know, humor is a good thing, but there are days oh boy!!!
    I have my calender on the wall in front of my desk and on my computer and it pops up to reminde me of things. I too dont go far. I was in two auto accidents last year, just fender benders, but after that i dont go too far, Ive never had an accident im my life. Hang in there tho, it does clear up at times. I read, get some fresh air and that helps , Hope things get better for you.

Gentle Hugs
    Darlene
  7. tonysmom

tonysmom New Member

Hi Everyone,

My son (now 19) was diagnosed at 13 years old. I was shocked that my son who had been reading since the age of 3, was now unable to read because of visual dysfunction and then unable to comprehend what he had read if he was able to complete a written passage.

Because I work in special education, I knew something was wrong. He had/has trouble processing what has been said to him. It still takes time for him to formulate his thoughts before he speaks. When he's comfortable with the person he's talking with, it doesn't stress him out so bad because he doesn't worry so much if his words get mixed up. What it reminded me of working with a child who experienced traumitic brain injury because he knows that he was super intelligent, but he has frustration because he's not always able to demonstrate that intelligence.

Anyway, I found a neuropsychologist to test him and a wide variety of dysfunctions were found. Once they had a name, we were able to compile strategies to help with the dysfunctions. *The doctor knew nothing about CFS, but the test results said it all.

No, he's not back to the way he was before he became ill, but he doesn't put so much pressure on himself when things don't work right anymore.

Possibly you may look on sites for people with learning disabilities for strategies to help with memory, organization, processing, etc.

Take care and don't be so hard on yourself.
  8. zerped

zerped New Member

and if it doesn't, it's not your fault.

I have had days that were as bad as you describe, but they happen less and less frequently. You can learn a lot of "tricks" on this site, and my opinion is that the more we treat ourselves properly, the more we will be a able to do.
    I have problems like yours, but only when I've varied too far or too often from my "treatment plan." This too will pass.
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You know.. Mine was getting so bad I was sure I would get fired.. and though it still acts up I've found that since I've been on Cymbalta it seems like it has been somewhat better.. I know how you feel.. I'm pretty frustrated with some of the stuff I've been doing too..
    Hugs!
  10. betsboop

betsboop New Member

is when people who know you, and don't bother to read up or understand the illness sit there and judge you and wait for your next foul up.....it makes you even more anxious.... you are afraid to open your mouth for fear of saying anything stupid or forgetting something that you should have remembered......hopefully you do not have anyone like this around you but .....unfortunately, i do....it is very unnerving.....
  11. paintinglady

paintinglady New Member

Mine has gotten so bad over the last 5 months. Every thing you all are mentioning. Christmas Eve, my eyes welled up with tears but I managed to stop them so I wouldn't ruin the evening for everyone. I was constantly saying "I don't remember...", "I forgot", "Has anyone seen my..." all night long. I was going back and forth trying to remember what I was needing or doing. But my breaking point was when I tried to get the things to put into my 5 yr. old grandson's stocking. I thought I had everything in one place but didn't. He only had two things in it and I felt so bad. He had so many other things that he really didn't notice but it was just the last straw for me.

I had an appointment with a phychitrist the next day and I had been there 4 other times. I drove up but it was empty and the door was locked. I thought I messed up on the time but I knew it was that day. So I went to a coffee shop until 9:20 and called them, thinking maybe my appt. was at 9:30.

When I called the lady answered and said no my appt. was actually at 9:00. When I told her that I was there at 9:00 but the place was empty and locked, she told me she had been there since 8:30 and asked if I went to the dentist building next door? Well I did, and I never even double checked the address or the name on the building because I was so sure it was the right one. They are both brick but different. I was embarrassed and had to wait until 11:00 to get in. At least my doctor sure had a good example of my problem.

Any way, what I'm getting at is...This doctor knew I was taking effexor for about a year to help with depression and hotflashes and fatique after my hysterectomy. Although, it didn't do much for fatique which actually got worse. He told me he would like me to take 3 possibly 4 if needed. He said that it works differently in the body when you take this much, kind of like another level and should help me sleep better, have a bit more energy, and help with the brain fog.

I had my doubts but it is working. I now can get up and do things without the constant exhaustion, my short term memory problem is so much better. I still have to go over something I've read again and sometimes again to be sure I got it, but I feel like I'm functioning again. Well most of the time. I start to wear out around 6:30 pm and need to rest. I still hurt, it hasn't really helped that.

The only thing I'm worried about is weight gain (Boy, am I gaining!) and that so many of you have mentioned it's awful to get off of, but at least I can function better. I guess I'll have to deal with that when the time comes. I figure it's a trade off. Is anyone else taking this and having helpful results?