Anyone with spinal stenosis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Please give me some ideas for relief of pain! I was born with scoliosis and it has gotten worse over these many years. I have had lower back pain for yeaars but have never had an ideal pain killer for it.

Just recently I began have terrific tailbone pain. It began when hubby was in hospital and I walked the hard long halls abd sat a hard plastic chair in his room.

I went to the Dr., he examined it and said my spine is a mess! Period! I take Tramadol and 2 extra strength Tylenol at 7:30 am and again at 3:30 p.m. First one helps sopmewhat and second not at all.

I went shopping Sat., just 2 shops and only a small portiion of them, but now I can barely stand the pain.

I used Durigesic patches but they were of no help and kind of rattled me. am in so much pain - do you have any ideas?

Gentle hUGS,

2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I also have spinal stenosis. And it can flare at any time with me.

Ice is my best friend. Often, the symptoms get better if you sit, crouch or lie in the fetal position (on your side with your knees tucked up to your chest). It's thought that these positions "open" the lumbar canal and take the pressure off the nerves that go to the legs.

I became dependant on strong pain medicine and now am taking Suboxone. It really dosnt help with the pain, so I have been practicing meditation and breathing excercises.

I hope some of these ideas may help you. Best of luck,
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Boy can I relate well to this post!!

sorry to say I have'nt found much that helps the pain from all this combined. I too have scoliosis, herniated disk, SI joint dysfunction,TONS of tailbone pain and the spinal stenosis.
    Does'nt that one mean,.. narrowing of the canal??? I can't even recall what was said I was DX so long ago.

for one,.. tramadol does very little for me. But so far no dr. will budge on anything more.
    If your dr. is better than mine,.. ask for something a bit stronger, maybe he'll be of help. I've heard good things about Norco.
    best of luck~
    Hope this helps,

BILLCAMO New Member

Among many other spinal problems......

I wish I had some ideas for you , everyone else , and myself......but I don't. So , I'll watch this post for more ideas.

To make a long story short , I feel fairly lucky. Only one vertebra in my neck and two in my back are almost normal. In fact , several years ago , I had three DRS. tell me that I would end up in a wheel chair a few years ago. By the grace of God I'm not !

Pain is my constant's just a matter of how much and how many places.

I have no doubts as to why I have CFIDS/ME and Fibro too.

That being said , all I can do is pray that God continues to raise my threshold of pain tolerance.

No , I'm not a religious fanatic , I just can't find any other reasonable explaination. Medicine and science can't either.

Tandy , my body agrees with you. Ultram/Tramadol are of no help to me. I might as well beat my thumb with a hammer to take my mind off the other pain. But , it does help others.

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

My partner has spinal stenosis. Her relief is from a shot she gets 3xs a year. She's due for the next one in 2 weeks, so just ask if you want any details & I'll post them here.

We discussed & ruled out the highly touted surgery to relieve pain. Too risky in our opinion & we want to avoid any surgery.
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has considered an inversion table - the upside down tiltable tables...

I have heard such good things from those with chronic back and neck issues. I don't think I'd go up-side-down but I would try it at a head lower than feet angle - to see if it helps the pain.

I understand it takes pressure off spine and lengthens everyting and thus allows greater healing.

I have been looking at the Teeter Hang Ups - they say they are great...

Love to hear anyone's experience...

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

I have limited resources and can't try very many things. As far as surgery , same problem ....(min. $80,000) and the best possible "guesstimate" was 20% improvement if things went great. It went down hill from there. Maybe I should install a hook in the ceiling & hang like a bat ? LOL.

But , seriously , I'm still looking at options .

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  8. fibroboom

fibroboom New Member

yes i have spinal stenosis and until i read what you all

wrote i wasnt aware of why i am having all this extra pain.

My dr says that i can thank my parents for it...i told him

i would love to thank them but they have passed. Anyways,

my tailbone has been hurting real bad. Just got out of

bed, after being bedridden for 2 weeks, YUCK!! The pain

in my butt and down my leg, into my foot, numb in the

little toe and ring toe, up the side of foot and the back

of thigh, man has it been rough! I go to neuro surgeon

this week. So do you think the leg pain and numbness is

from the stenosos?? Or is it from my wonderful bone

spurs or one of my 8 bad disc?? Well, we are all in

the same boat it sounds like. Take care all and hugs to

9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Thank you for y our responses. I know you don't have any answers either. When I gwet up in the morning, the pain is terrific. And to get up in the night to go to the bathroom is aGONY!

We gon to our great-grandson's first B.D. party in 2 weeks. We'll will be in a motel and I worry about the night time trip to the john. Think I will use my hubby's walker.

Thank you to your nice folks for your replies. I now kinow that I am not alone in my pain.

Bless you,

10. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

11. momof27

momof27 New Member

he had the nerves burned it helped a small amout

BILLCAMO New Member

Medical Magnets. I've heard of that approach before , but I forgot it.

I don't have any Medical Magnets , but , I may try to use this approach in another manner.

For those of you who don't know Mikie , she was a moderator here. And she has always been an excellent source for good information.

Blessings ,

13. fibroboom

fibroboom New Member

i am bumping this cus i am hoping more people respond to this. Hope for more responses!

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For the kind words. You are sooooo sweet.

I did just post about the amazing relief I am getting from using a strip of the medical magnets. I also use a tilt table to hang by my ankles. I can hang all the way upside down but usually don't have to. It's very comfortable at about 70 degrees from horizontal.

A friend at work did the VAX-D program, about $3,000, and she got excellent results. She had had surgery once and the doc said she needed surgery again. She opted for the VAX-D. It's a series of sessions where one wears a belt which is supposed to gently relieve the pressure on the spine. She also gets good results from her tilt table.

Love, Mikie