Anyone with trigeminal neuralgia???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by islandgirl2, Nov 10, 2005.

1. islandgirl2

islandgirl2 New Member

Thanks to two great responses to my pain problem I know now I have trigeminal neuralgia.....why not add another ailment on to the heap while i'm at it? Now, my next question is does anyone else have this and if you do what are your tricks for making the incidents short lived? I had never heard of it before.
  2. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Dear Islandgirl, I also deal with trigeminal neuralgia. Mine is the result of several bouts of shingles in the same area.

I dearly wish I had an answer as to what could lessen the pain, but I have found nothing as yet to ease my own. Although I am planning to ask my doctor on my next visit if Neurontin could possibly be a consideration, as I keep reading that it works well for nerve pain.

I pray you find some answers for your own pain because I know it is a pain which is all consuming. I just wanted to reply and let you know that you are not alone with the TN and I understand how badly it hurts. All my best to you!
  3. june-bug

june-bug New Member

Its possible I have this. I have facial nerve pain switching from one side of my face to the other. Burning and intensely stabbing. I take Neurontin for this and it helps a little. Please can you explain exactly what trigeminal neuralgia is?
    June-Bug
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've had trigeminal neuralgia for years. Even brushing my teeth could bring on horrible pain. I would often wake up in the middle of the night with the whole side of my face and jaw hurting like crazy. It would come and go, but was almost always present to some degree.

Several weeks ago I found out that Tom's of Maine had quit making the only toothpaste I've ever been able to tolerate. I'm allergic to mint and other flavorings so I was looking for something to use as a paste other than plain baking soda.

I decided to try a little coral calcium powder in water (I used Source Natural brand). Just dipped my toothbrush in the water and to my surprise the nerve pain disappeared that night. I kept doing the same thing every night for about a week and the nerve pain was gone. However even though I wasn't swallowing the coral calcium I developed a burning sensation in my esophagus (I tend to overproduce hydrochloric acid and calcium can stimulate the production).

So I stopped using the coral calcium for a few weeks and all the nerve pain/trigeminal neuralgia came back. I've been trying to find a happy medium and found that just a pinch of the powder in about 1/2 cup of water is enough to stop the nerve pain when I use it to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth. And it also seems to be little enough that I don't get the pain from too much acid.

It's hard to believe after years of this I can sleep through the night without the tearing pain in my jaw waking me up.

Jan[This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]