Anyone with weak ankles because of fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Mar 29, 2009.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I fell last week because my left ankle simply gave out. All I was doing was walking across the floor at a regular pace. Luckily my worse injury, despite all over body pain and a fibro flare, was a sprained ankle. Now I wonder if weak ankles are another symptom of fibromyalgia. Has anyone else had this problem? I've had this happen to me before. Thanks for any in put.
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I have weak ankles and weak all over. I can no longer wear pretty shoes not sure if this is a fm symptom or not but my whole body takes spells of being weak at different places but today I feel weak all over.

Hope you get some good answers and advice, as I am not sure the cause or have any advice.

God Bless,
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

I do have Hashimoto's thyroid disease,and am on Synthroid. I've always had the ankle problem, and it is mostly in my left foot. When my ankle gave out I was wearing SAS shoes with a rubber sole. They weren't lace up, however.
  4. ResearchKY

ResearchKY New Member

For me, klarry,this is just two more (very weak ankles) miseries to deal with. I must take great care walking & even with care, I can fall in seconds & in some cases, instantly. I cannot wear "sneaker shoes!" They are dangerous for me, too heavy, can cause me to stumble, fall, or lose my balance because of thick rubber soles. The lighter the shoe (lace-up) is better for me. I have taped my my arch and ankles with stretch bandage which gives more support & strength to my weak ankles but alas, the bandage causes swelling. I have not been able as yet to find a lite weight ankle support shoe with very thin or leather soles. The more pain I have the more clumsy I become, less agility, & drop everything! My balance has been severly affected since this illness due in part I'm sure to the continued weak but spastic muscles & tendons. Would anyone know where one could search for lace up ankle supports such as those used in sports or ice skating? I haven't been of much help (klarry) but at least you will know fibro can and does do very debilitating things to it's victims.