Anyone work in a factory?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LanaJ, Nov 20, 2002.

1. LanaJ

LanaJ New Member

How do you keep up? I work 4 ten hour days 3pm - 1:30am Mon-Thurs. On Friday and Saturday I crash. Sundays - some good, some bad. I am on "moderate duty" since having cervical disc surgery in May for a work injury 2 years ago.
    My dr. had me try my "normal" job 2 weeks ago - couldn't handle it after a couple days. I hurt everywhere except my belly and chest. My hands hurt so bad I couldn't even do the moderage duty job and left work after only 3 1/2 hours. I have been asking since at least Oct. 1 for a modification to the tester that I am using. I am having to physically restrain the piece I am testing with my right hand/arm while pulling up on part of it with my left.
    The tester wasn't designed to be used in this way, and the first day I showed my foreman and the quality engineer and they agreed that there needed to be a clamp of some kind. The QE wrote up a work order right then. That has been, what, 7 weeks ago and still nothing. It is stuck somewhere higher that my foreman and the QE. Last Tues. the QE and I talked to the production manager (for the second time) and he also agreed that there needed to be a clamp. Still nothing. Last night I filled out an incident report - OSHA sees this. I did this for two reasons - 1-for my own protection because my whole right arm hurts (others who have had to fill in for me complain also) and 2-to force the issue of getting something done SOON!! When I turned the report into my foreman last night he didn't seem too happy. Said he had an email from the prod. mgr that he was checking into it. Yea, right. This is the same man the QE and I talked to 4-5 weeks ago. I am not upset with my foreman or QE - they have really backed me on this so far (in fact, the QE suggested last week that I fill out an incident report). I just want something done. I'm afraid I am going to have problems with my elbow. Do you think I should have given it more time? As I sit here and type, my whole arm aches.

Sorry to ramble. I just feel sometimes that I have to tread lightly since I am already in a WC case, but I don't want to aggrevate my condition either. There is more to life than eat, sleep and go to work. My house is a disaster and the holidays are coming.
  2. LanaJ

LanaJ New Member

How do you keep up? I work 4 ten hour days 3pm - 1:30am Mon-Thurs. On Friday and Saturday I crash. Sundays - some good, some bad. I am on "moderate duty" since having cervical disc surgery in May for a work injury 2 years ago.
    My dr. had me try my "normal" job 2 weeks ago - couldn't handle it after a couple days. I hurt everywhere except my belly and chest. My hands hurt so bad I couldn't even do the moderage duty job and left work after only 3 1/2 hours. I have been asking since at least Oct. 1 for a modification to the tester that I am using. I am having to physically restrain the piece I am testing with my right hand/arm while pulling up on part of it with my left.
    The tester wasn't designed to be used in this way, and the first day I showed my foreman and the quality engineer and they agreed that there needed to be a clamp of some kind. The QE wrote up a work order right then. That has been, what, 7 weeks ago and still nothing. It is stuck somewhere higher that my foreman and the QE. Last Tues. the QE and I talked to the production manager (for the second time) and he also agreed that there needed to be a clamp. Still nothing. Last night I filled out an incident report - OSHA sees this. I did this for two reasons - 1-for my own protection because my whole right arm hurts (others who have had to fill in for me complain also) and 2-to force the issue of getting something done SOON!! When I turned the report into my foreman last night he didn't seem too happy. Said he had an email from the prod. mgr that he was checking into it. Yea, right. This is the same man the QE and I talked to 4-5 weeks ago. I am not upset with my foreman or QE - they have really backed me on this so far (in fact, the QE suggested last week that I fill out an incident report). I just want something done. I'm afraid I am going to have problems with my elbow. Do you think I should have given it more time? As I sit here and type, my whole arm aches.

Sorry to ramble. I just feel sometimes that I have to tread lightly since I am already in a WC case, but I don't want to aggrevate my condition either. There is more to life than eat, sleep and go to work. My house is a disaster and the holidays are coming.
  3. kellym

kellym New Member

You have to protect yourself and whoever that machine might injure in the future if nothing's done about it. Don't let the employer make you feel bad for protecting yourself. If they were doing THEIR job, it wouldn't have had to come to this.
    Good luck.
  4. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I used to for 13 yrs., then in 2000 I had to quit because
    I had nothing but problems physically and also couldn't take the insensitive management of the place. (Talk about Idiots!...) I was a Supervisor's Assistant and when not on the line, spent most of my time writing up reports to the engineers about the defective equipment and re-writing paperwork and blueprints. (Things which had not been fixed in the 20 yrs. a certain engineer had his career there.)
    I think the major thing that was the last straw was when this engineer quit and then decided to come back and was Re-hired! It's still amazes me how this certain company can stay in business!
    When people would wind up getting hurt on some of the machines, paperwork would have to be filled out describing the accident and the way it was worded, it would always make it look like the People were not Operating it correctly. I developed carpal tunnell in both hands while working there because of their defective testers and clamps and suffered with arthritis of the spine while sitting in their nasty hard chairs . There's a lot of aggravation working in factories and I swear I will NEVER go back to one.....

Love,
    HOB
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]
  5. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member