ANYONE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neldwn2me, Mar 21, 2006.

1. neldwn2me

neldwn2me New Member

HI. MY DOCS DONT THINK HAVE FIBRO. BECOUSE I DIDNT SCREAM WHEN HE PRESSED ON MY PRESSURE POINTS. I DONT KNOW , WHAT TO THINK. ALL I KNOW IS THAT I AM TIERD ALL THE TIME. MY BODY IS STIFF AND SORE . EVEN MY SINK GETS SORE. HELP
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

What kind of doctors have you seen. Fair warning, from what I understand, it's hard to come by a compassionate doctor. Sounds to me like you "might" have it!!!

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

How many and what kind of docs have you seen? It might be a good idea to locate and see a Fibro Friendly doc who can give you an unbiased opinion.

I am not a doc so I won't say whether I think you do or do not have FM however I will state that I have never "screamed" when someone presses a trigger/pressure point. I wince sometimes and have said calmly "ouch that hurts" but thats about it.

My doctor will touch and/or press a spot and say "does it hurt here? Ok and what level of pain?" meaning on a scale of 1-10.

People with FM tend to have a high pain tolerance and I have found no reason to scream...if I screamed for those types of things I would be screaming 2 bagillion times a day.

Keep a pain diary. A recoding of your pain, where it is mostly, length of time (back date to when you believe the pain started), level of pain each day/time of day (scale of 1-10, 10 being worst), any pain relievers you currently use and state whether they do/don't work.

Also keep a record of your sleep schedule. When/how long you sleep, do you wake up feeling rested ever, do you wake up feeling tired, how many times you wake during the night, how long it takes (approximately) to fall asleep, as much info as possible.

Get a list of symptoms http://www.sover.net/~devstar/phsympt.htm and check off all the symptoms that apply to you now or ever.

Then find a FM friendly doc in your area by checking the Doctor Referral at the top of this page as well as http://www.sover.net/~devstar/provider.htm

Check out the doctor ahead of time by calling the office and asking if the doctor treats FM patients on a regular basis and what is thier view on FM. If they say "Huh?" then try someone else.

Then with your research, symptoms list, pain/sleep diary and possibly previous health records in hand, go and see said doctor for a second opinion.

I find some doctors are more receptive when you bring in a bunch of specific info rather just saying "I hurt everywhere, all the time and I am tired all the time". The more information you go in armed with the better.

Also, if you have "fibro fog" issues you may want to bring someone with you for support to make sure you don't forget anything and MAKE A LIST of questions and issues for the doctor to make sure you cover everything.
  4. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Out of my experience, if you don't scream & cry when they test the pressure points you'll be told you do not have FM. That is ridiculous, over the weekend I had to go into my PCPs Saturday clinic because my right hip hurt so bad it felt like a knife going through it whenever I put weight on my leg.

The nurse seen me limping, offered a wheelchair, I told her no thanks I'll walk. She gave me a funny look. I was called back & when the oncall Doc came in she started asking the usuall questions about the pain. She then asked why I refused a wheelchair if I was in so much pain, I told her that it wouldn't matter anyhow because my hip & leg hurt no matter what I did. And, I would not get into a wheelchair for nothing or nobody!! I don't care how much pain I'm in, I'll crawl if I have too first!!

I then said, I'm 34 I'm not ready & there is no reason for me to sit in a wheelchair, give me a break, are you going to determine my pain by my not using a wheelchair?

She said, no but I am going to take your BP, that helps us Drs determine pain levels. She was acting as if I was lying!!!

Needless to say my BP was 170/110, I then asked her if she was convinced I was in an extreme amount of pain?!!

I left with a stronger pain med RX.

My point is, I have been judged way too often by my actions/reactions, rather than by what I was saying my symptoms were.!!

My PCP & Pain Managment Docs are wonderful, it took me 5 years to find these 2 & start getting proper treatment not only for my illness, but as a human being!!!