ANYONE_ELSE HAVE itchy skin bumps+sores??!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyore57, Sep 28, 2005.

1. eeyore57

eeyore57 New Member

I'm newly DX, although have been sick with this 5 to 8 yrs,...severly last 2!!!!!!!!!! I'm covered from waist up with miserable skin sores,...they itch TERRABLY,burn and hurt!!! Maybe they started out as bumps and I accidently scatched them into sores, don't know for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Dr. gave me antarex for itching and a topical steriodal creme, and is sending me to a dermatologist.
    Has anybodyelse had this problem????????????? If so,...what causes it,.. and what are best meds and remedies for it???????????? HEEEELP!!!!! I"M DYIN" HERE!!!!
    Can't stand it much longer!!!!! THANKS!!!

EEYORE57,...Cindy
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that sounds awful.

I dont know if it would help but have you tried an
    antihistamine to stop the itching. My skin itches quite a lot but nothing like yours, and it helps when I take an antihistamine.

I cant think of anything else, I hope you get some help and relief from the dermatologist.

love
    Rosie
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Mine are usually caused by either an allergic reaction to something (med or something that has touched my skin, ie metal), or they start out as viral-type warts.

When they start out as warts, I figure it means that my body is fighting an infection, or I have been unusually stressed. That seems to fit the pattern, anyway.

I have some on my fingers and my right arm right now, too. But I have been working with wire for some jewelry that I am making, so I contribute it to being allergic to the metal in that.

I hope you get some help-I know how irritating they can be! Try not to scratch or you could have permanent scars! (I know, I sound like your mother!! LOL). Take care. PG
  4. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i also get sore itchy skin and bumps. mostly in me scalp,neck, and other places on the upper body. i hurts like hell, and i also use a topical staroid creme, but hard to use on scalp with out leaving hair looking oily, so i have found the selsen blue shampoo helps, with no conditioners. i know what you are going through. and i am really sorry. i don't know the cause, or what to do. My doc. says it is a form of ezima (check spell). i don't know. i hope you find releaf soon, let me know if you find the cause. and i will keep looking for a cause also.

Becca
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Are the bumps more prominant on one side of your body? Are they strictly breaking out on the one side?

The reason I ask is because you said they *burn* as well as itch and hurt. It sounds like shingles but only if they are restricted to one side. Has your doctor ruled out shingles as a probable cause? I hope so because with shingles, the quicker you get on an antiviral, the less severe the shingles will be.
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

that sounds very unpleasant, I'm so sorry you are dealing with such skin problems!

Just a thought... skin issues can be associated with a lack of essential fatty acids in your diet. You might want to look at what you are eating, see if you are including good sources of EFA's such as ground flax seeds, fatty fish, nuts and seeds, and avocados.

You also might check Stormyskye's posts on food and eating well. There have been some good discussions lately about this on this board.

By all means, keep your doctor's appointments too! You may need more care than adjusting your diet, but that's a definite start, and something you can control by yourself.

Good luck with this, keep posting, ok?

Peace and light,
    Beth.
  7. carolynh8

carolynh8 New Member

Keep your dermatologist appointment, but in the meantime I would take some Benadryl 25-50mg. I semm to break out in rashes unexpectantly so I always carry Benadryl wih me which usually helps within 10-15min.
    I also have psoriasis off and on which is red, scaley,and itchy. I put Hydrocortisone cream on that which
    used to help it go away fast-it also eases the itching. But
    sometimes scratching can cause a secondary bacterial infection, so you need neosporin ointment(antibacterial). I
    hope this helps until you see the Doc! CH
  8. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I use vitamin E and zinc both by Allergy research group. I take 1 400IU and 1- 25mg of the zinc in a.m. and repeat both in p.m. with dinner. I also use evening primrose oil-there are lots of good brands. I have much less itching.

Creams I have tried over the years are so so, and I now use a new cream called actinel (atopiclair) non-steroidal. I like it and it is necessary when the itching flares up. The vitamins seem to heal the problem as well as reduce episodes of itching.

Also, I am very careful not to over wash my skin and to use non irritating detergents. I will get a flare if I am stressed or if I eat certain foods, and tight clothes make it worse as well.
    ruby
  9. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

Hi Cindy:

I have itchy little red bumps on my legs--more on one than the other--and they are few and far apart, but they were a concern so I had them biopsied by a dermatologist and the tests came back saying they were hives caused by bugs! That was weird. They told me to try an antihistimine and gave me some topical cream.

They are still there a year later and they improve then flare up again. I have thought lately..What about Lyme? Ticks are bugs and I have had bites. I had a detailed Lyme test on Tuesday and will get tests back in 3 weeks, so we'll see.

The Lyme thing related to the itchy bumps is pure speculation on my part.

I hope you can get this figured out. It sounds like you are very uncomfortable.

Nancy
  10. goodma

goodma New Member

Yes, I have these as well. It's starting to spread. My boyfriend thinks it could be poison ivy, but I've never gotten it before when my son had a severe case or my exhusband who got it all the time. I believe these are stress related and I'll tell you why.

I'm painting my condo, shampooing the carpet, cleaning out closets, cleaning for the condo to be listed, working OT at the office, have 3 dogs, had a W/C injury this past week at the office and have no time for rest other than to catch some during the night. I'm waking up drenched in sweat the windows open and it's been chilly and the fan is on in my room. I'm still wearing sleeve less tops and the weathers turning more fall like every day.

I ache everywhere and my brain fog is worsening. Normally I can keep it at bay but now I'm too exhausted to make an effort for anything.

So this is why I think they are stress related.

Hope your feeling better soon.

11. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

- but not as bad as you. Doctor has tried several things with me, including cortisone cream, antiseptic cream and local numbing cream. All provided a little relief. I have found that the best thing for me is Tea Tree Oil -any brand: Here in Australia we can get it at an supermarket, but I don't know where you are. A couple of drops, diluted in a spoon of water if the skin is really sensitive, pat it on and in about three-five minutes the area has settled down. Worth a try? Good luck.
  12. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

If you are doing all of what you just described, and have CFS, then you are without a doubt making yourself much worse. That's not stress, that is overexertion, and that is the WORST thing you can do, did you know that? The main symptom of CFS is extreme intolerance to activity whether it is physical or mental, as well as an intolerance for emotional stress of any kind. I know, you must be thinking who else is going to do all this work, right? Anybody but you, if you don't want to make the disease worsen, because it can. I speak from experience, slow waaaaaay down. Take care of yourself, Marie