ANYTHING HELP DIZZINESS/LIGHTHEADEDNESS???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lau, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Lau

Lau New Member

Has anyone had problems with dizziness and lightheadedness? Have you tried anything that helped? Antivert did nothing for me except make me more tired.

I have had this problem for about 15 years, and am very frustrated because it is another thing that holds me back. I cannot drive very much anymore and am so tired of being dependent on others. I know this can be a side effect of meds, but have had this symptom from the beginning, before dx and meds.

I would greatly appreciate any advise or info you can share.

Thanks, Lau
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2003]
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

for about 8 - 9 months now, and I think it is helping to some extent. You do need to start with a low dose, and build up gradually, but I really do believe I am getting dizzy less often than before. Is your doctor aware of this problem? I know I will often forget to mention something if it is not troubling me at the time. He really should rule out any other causes just to be on the safe side.
    Kathryn
  3. healing

healing New Member

Lau, is your blood pressure low? I know that can cause light headedness and dizziness, and lack of movement -- which so often results from paralyzing pain -- can exacerbate that. If this is the root of your problem, even doing some leg lifts from a sitting position or waving your arms around will help get your blood pressure moving up. This probably seems simplistic, but perhaps it will help...
  4. gumama

gumama New Member

Lau

have you been checked out for Meniere's .. my daughter has both Meniere's and Fibro plus Lupus.. this is a very common complaint of all of those.

Blessings
    Sandy
  5. jslady

jslady New Member

I had the same problem with getting dizzy at unexpected times. I couldn't ride in a car, walk straight, sit or lay down without some nausea or lightheadness. My
    audiologist recommended therapy. I went to the hospital for special exercises twice a week. It took me three weeks to finish the course. It was well worth it! It's an expensive treatment, but I didn't want to take any more meds. I do the exercises daily, and highly recommend them. Good luck. Jslady
  6. simple

simple New Member

Lau,
    I too had good experience with vestibular rehab center. I had vertigo last spring and went to see several doctors and tried several meds. One ENT doctor recommended I try the rehab center. I went twice a week for one month... 30 minute sessions... it helped a lot. My vertigo was almost gone after 9 months.

But if you have had this for 15 years, I'm not sure how effective it will be for you. Good luck.
  7. Lau

Lau New Member

I now have some new things to look into and some hope that something will help.

I have been tested for many different things through the years from neuroligist, inner ear, different bloodtests, MRI, etc. They were never able to find a diffinitive cause, but have have read this is a common symptom of FMS, so I've chalked it up to that.

Is neurontin prescribed just for the dizziness, or does it help with other symptoms? Are there any annoying side effects?

Thank you again for your kind help & support.

Lau
  8. gardengrow

gardengrow New Member

I have CFS and have had dizziness and it went away thankfully on its own. I really feel for you because it was miserable. But anyway, my good fried with Fibro has it and on the advice of a doctor tried an allergy medicine. She said it has helped tremendously. She doesnt have allergies but was told the med. helps with dizziness. Might be worth a try since you can even get them over the counter now.

Take care,
    Gardengrow
  9. healing

healing New Member

Lau, there are many posts on the forum re Neurontin. Basically it's an anti-seizure med that helps the FMS brain in ways we don't fully understand. It helps me sleep and it helps with my pain (probably because it helps me sleep?). I don't believe Neurontin is prescribed for dizziness....
  10. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I didn't realize that dizziness was associated with fibromyalgia. I have multiple sclerosis, too, and years ago, I would get occasional bouts of lightheadedness--kind of a sensation of unreality, as if my head was floating somewhere above my shoulders. But in the past week or two, it seems to me that I've been getting something that seems more like descriptions I've read of true dizziness or vertigo. I don't see things spinning around me, but I'll get a sudden sens that the world has just tilted a little, and that will make me feel fuzzy-headed.

Of course, my sleep (*what* sleep?) has been miserable lately, so maybe that's a manifestation of fatigue (which I also can get from MS).

But is dizziness also a typical symptom of fibromyalgia?

--Laura R.M.
  11. layinglow

layinglow New Member

A deficiency in B12 can cause this--
    esp. if you have lupus, or absorption probs in gut--another contributing factor.
    Don't rely on serum levels. You might ask your doc about some b12 injections for a few weeks to see if this helps.
    LL
  12. Bambi

Bambi New Member

getting dizzy frequently. For no particular reason I tried the sports
    drinks one day and it stopped it on a
    dime. Rarely get dizzy now but when
    I do I keep the drinks on hand and
    they work every time. Might not do
    any good for your problem but it works for mine, I just wish I knew
    why. Hugs, Bambi