Anything I can gargle for bright red/Painful throat????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Jan 1, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Is there anything I can gargle besides salt water for a bright red throat? Not sure if it is allergies or viral or what but has been going on for over 6 weeks now. Gets a lot more painful at night. Have been on abx so not bacterial. Any help is appreciated. I tried salt, marshmallow tea.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

from the compounder web might give you some ideas. I used to find salt water gargles helped but I see you have already tried that. Xylitol can work for me as well. Keeping oral plaque levels down and being fastidious about oral health generally cut down on my incidences of a sore red throat. This procedure includes using H2O2 as a mouthwash and gargle, the garlge only when needed.

Ditto reminder about candida, I used to be very prone to that in my mouth and throat. ABx can cause thrush/candida in the mouth and throat.

love Tansy

Home Remedy for Sore Throats

What makes your throat sore?

Infections are the most common reason you get a sore throat.
    Pollens and molds that irritate the nose when they are inhaled also may irritate the throat.
    Cat and dog danders and house dust are common causes of sore throats for people with allergies to them.
    Dry air may create a mild sore throat with a parched feeling, especially in the mornings.
    Pollutants and chemicals in the air can irritate the nose and throat.
    Straining the voice (yelling at a sports event, for example) can cause a sore throat.
    Regurgitation of stomach acids up into the back of the throat can make your throat sore.
    Tumors of the throat, tongue, and larynx (voice box) are usually can result in a sore throat .

When Should I See a Doctor?

When a sore throat is severe, last longer than the 5 to 7 days, and is not associated with an avoidable allergy or irritation, see your doctor. The following signs and symptoms should alert you to see your physician:

Severe and prolonged sore throat
    Difficulty breathing
    Difficulty swallowing
    Difficulty opening the mouth
    Joint pain
    Earache
    Rash
    Fever (over 101°)
    Blood in saliva or phlegm
    Frequently recurring sore throat
    Lump in neck (one OR both sides)
    Hoarseness lasting over two weeks

Sore Throat Home Remedies

It makes little difference what CAUSES your sore throat when all you want is RELIEF! The good news is that the following remedies are helpful regardless of why your throat is sore. Here are a few general suggestions that can help anyone;

Increase your liquid intake

Drink a cup of warm tea with honey a couple times each day, especially at bedtime. Camomille is excellent. Instead of honey consider using XYLITOL as a sweetener. It is a sugar, but it's special. One brand is XyloSweet. It is 100% xylitol, sweet like sugar, has no aftertaste and it's safe for diabetics and people with hypoglycemia. You can get 100 packets for around $10.00.

Use a humidifier in your bedroom and slightly elevate your head (an extra pillow is fine)

Now for some more specific remedies

Apple cider vinegar; mix 2 tablespoons in a glass of warm water and gargle with it 3 or more times each day. This is also helpful in killing some of the harmful bacteria in your mouth and throat.

Cayenne pepper; mix half teaspoonful with a cup of hot water. When the mixture is cool enough, but still very warm, gargle with it. The pepper will open the blood vessels and help draw out the infection.

Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the hot cayenne pepper mix above. Use it as a gargle.

Mix equal parts honey and lemon juice (fresh or in the bottle Real Lemon). Sip this mixture as often as needed. It is very soothing. This is an excellent choice for children.

Mix three parts of the honey/lemon mixture with one part "booze" (whiskey, gin, vodka, your choice). This is an adult treatment and probably best used when you won't be "driving or operating any heavy machinery."

Hard candy is a soothing treatment. I've tried the sugar free but they just don't help as much. If you have a cold or a stuffy nose too, try candy (or cough drops) that contains menthol. It helps unstuff your nasal passages while it soothes your sore throat.

Mix two tablespoons of table salt in warm water and use as a gargle every hour or so. It's simple and it works.

Keep in mind that these remedies are to help your throat FEEL better. Do your best to eliminate the cause of your pain. If your sore throat lasts longer than 7 days or so (and it isn't caused by something you can avoid) you may have an infection that requires professional treatment. Be sure to contact your doctor.[This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

I find gargling with salt water mixed with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide quite helpful - more helpful than salt water itself. Try a table spoon or more up to what you can tolerate in your gargle water.
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Is always good to sore throats. It kills germs and also helps the pain.
  5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

What type of salt did you use????? If you just used a normal salt, you might find some relief if you use a sea salt e.g., celtic sea salt.

What strength did you use???? Could you have burned your sensitive skin with a solution that was too high in salt???

Gargling with a couple of drops of glycerine in a glass of water might easy the pain. If you add a drop of tea tree oil to this, it might help clear it up. Alternatively, you could try gargling, and then swallowing, olive leaf extract.
  6. Gly

Gly New Member

I've been dealing with a sore throat from acid reflux (since Nov 30). I thought it was a flu at first.

Acid reflux can get a lot worse at night. If you think it might be acid reflux, try sleeping with your upper body elevated (not just your neck-that makes it worse sometimes). Eat small meals and don't lie down for a couple of hours. I know, it's killing me!

I've been taking Nexium for over 2 weeks but still had sore throat the last 3 nights. Sore throat and raspy voice were my only real symptoms, other than a little sour gas coming up once in awhile and some chest tightness that isn't too bad. The only reason I thought to check out acid reflux was because I had gotten some pills stuck in my throat. The first was Actonel - very dangerous, but I didn't know at the time. Fosamax is similar and their TV commercials are just now warning about acid reflux, heartburn, etc.

I'm not saying that's what you have but you might want to do a Google search to find some info just in case. My throat gets bright red, too.
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Thanks to everyone so far. I will try some of your suggestions.
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I know you said you have been on antibiotics, but it could still be strep throat. Have you had a strep test? It could be a resistant strain of strep that your antibiotic isn't knocking down. You might just need a different antibiotic.
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Sage herb one teasp. infused in hot water, cool this down to luke warm and gargle. The sage acts as a natural anaesthetic. Once again, and no I am not on payroll(LOL) I think Airborne seems to work really well and they do sore throat gels that look like little gummibears. Feel better.
    Love Cromwell
  10. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I use to get strep throat all the time. Believe it or not, my boyfriend at the time was a carrier. Very inconvenient.

An old doctor from Italy told me at the first sign of the sore throat take a small glass and about five drops of Iodine (the kind you put on boo-boos) and gargle with that. I haven't had strep in years and years. I also stopped seeing the guy.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  11. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i love it.i use it on ulcers sore throats cuts cleaning earrings everything.

dont gargle neat tcp but watered down a bit it does the treat and numbs it for a bit.
    with my mouth ulcers (i get them alot) i dip a cotton bud in and dab in my ulcer neat. i expectee it to hurt when i first used it but it numbed it right off and when i get up in the morning its nearly gone.
  12. rockinrobin

rockinrobin New Member

Have you tried Biotene Mouthwash? I have a dry mouth condition, & this is made to be extra gentle, no alcohol in it, is great for mouth/tongue sores, so it might help w/ a sore throat. Has a pleasant taste. Once I tried it, I was hooked. I ran out one day, & tried my husbands citrus listerine. BIG mistake, I thought my mouth was on fire. I have gotten so used to the Biotene being so gentle, I swear by it & will never go back to anything else. It is also great for relieving thrush if the throat is sore from it. (Doesn't cure it though, but feels good). Best of luck, hope this helps :)